British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dating in NYC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dating-nyc-530164/)

Bladerunner Apr 18th 2008 4:22 am

Dating in NYC

Turns out the last two girls I have been dating beleived that the man should pay whenever we went out. I'm not tight, but am totally used to splitting the cost of drinks and meals with my date. In the UK, most girls see it as outdated and even offensive for the man to insist that he always pays.

Are the two girls I dated typical of New York girls?

neil Apr 18th 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Dating in NYC

Originally Posted by Bladerunner (Post 6226350)
Turns out the last two girls I have been dating beleived that the man should pay whenever we went out. I'm not tight, but am totally used to splitting the cost of drinks and meals with my date. In the UK, most girls see it as outdated and even offensive for the man to insist that he always pays.

It wasn't always that way with the women I dated in NY. I do think however that NY women are picky about the guys they date and expect a show of your monetary worth to some extent, and I guess the ones like that would see it as a bad sign if you didn't pay on the first date. I would expect after the first date things to even out though, and certainly wouldn't expect to pay all the time. If I knew that the girl wasn't in as well paid job as me then I would continue to pay but if they didn't at least offer after a couple of dates I probably wouldn't want to continue a long term relationship with them as I would be suspicious of their motives.

Bill_S Apr 18th 2008 2:15 pm

You're not in the UK anymore... if you want action in NY, you'll have to behave like a New Yorker. Back in my dating days, it was a pleasant surprise to have her offer to share the cost, but I always was prepared and willing to pay.

Poppy girl Apr 18th 2008 2:29 pm

Its not a NY thing its the country in general, I get a look of total shock from men when I offer to pay my half, from what most have told me, and ladies I know its not all of you, but, most men reckon that the chicks expect it and before they even meet them the questions are "how much do you earn? "What do you drive"? LOL I have american girlfriends who will not date a guy the 2nd time if he does not open his wallet :eek:

Rete Apr 18th 2008 3:19 pm

They got it right. Here in the US it is customary for the man to pay each and every time. Of course, not all women are like that but the "girls" certainly are. I remember how shocked my American boyfriend was when I offered to pay for dinner one night and another time offered money for the gas and tolls. After the initial shock wore off and we got engaged, we shared the expenses.

If a female invites you for dinner, drinks or a movie, then it is assumed that she will pay the cost. You might be generous and offer to split the cost with her and/or let her pay for the first round and you the second.

But if you are only casually dating, you are stuck with the bill.

ugacrew Apr 18th 2008 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6228602)
They got it right. Here in the US it is customary for the man to pay each and every time. Of course, not all women are like that but the "girls" certainly are. I remember how shocked my American boyfriend was when I offered to pay for dinner one night and another time offered money for the gas and tolls. After the initial shock wore off and we got engaged, we shared the expenses.

If a female invites you for dinner, drinks or a movie, then it is assumed that she will pay the cost. You might be generous and offer to split the cost with her and/or let her pay for the first round and you the second.

But if you are only casually dating, you are stuck with the bill.

To be fair the first couple of dates are a given. If things are going well then splitting the costs is a fair thing. It all depends on the income discrepancy I think on how often going Dutch occurs.

Poppy girl Apr 18th 2008 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6228718)
To be fair the first couple of dates are a given. If things are going well then splitting the costs is a fair thing. It all depends on the income discrepancy I think on how often going Dutch occurs.

I think that a woman should offer even on the 1st date that's my opinion and as for the 2nd well definitely offer,I would hate them to think I was just with them for their money, which makes it difficult for me as I probably earn more then they do..:unsure:

ugacrew Apr 18th 2008 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6228802)
I think that a woman should offer even on the 1st date that's my opinion and as for the 2nd well definitely offer,I would hate them to think I was just with them for their money, which makes it difficult for me as I probably earn more then they do..:unsure:

I think it's a matter of culture more so than not. Some guys actually get offended if you assume that they can't pay on the first date. Some of them think it's a badge of honour that they can pay for a ladies night out. However it does get old quickly and the equity of it has to shift early on. More so now these days than back when my parents were dating.

Rete Apr 18th 2008 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6228802)

On the first and second dates, I feel that the person who did the inviting should be the one to pay the expenses. After the second date if you go out again, I would most certainly pay either the entire cost or at least offer to split it. Or if a woman feels uncomfortable doing that then make dinner one night and rent a movie or buy the movie tickets online and let him by the popcorn. Some men might take it as an insult if you offer to pay. At least that is true of my generation.

Bladerunner Apr 18th 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks for the info. Seems I need to revise my expectations... or start dating Brits.

NC Penguin Apr 18th 2008 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bladerunner (Post 6229010)
Thanks for the info. Seems I need to revise my expectations... or start dating Brits.

... or expand your horizons and date non-Americans.:)

penguinsix Apr 18th 2008 5:35 pm

All guys like a woman who offers, and all women like a guy who pays.

I've never let a woman pay for dinner, pretty much ever. Even my 'friends' (i.e. non-romantic) who are women. Guess I'm a bit stubborn.

ugacrew Apr 18th 2008 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 6229261)
All guys like a woman who offers, and all women like a guy who pays.

I've never let a woman pay for dinner, pretty much ever. Even my 'friends' (i.e. non-romantic) who are women. Guess I'm a bit stubborn.

Are you still single?:lol:

Ash UK/US Apr 18th 2008 5:42 pm

Now I know why my husband was in complete shock when I paid for his meal.

another bloody yank Apr 18th 2008 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6228844)
I think it's a matter of culture more so than not. Some guys actually get offended if you assume that they can't pay on the first date. Some of them think it's a badge of honour that they can pay for a ladies night out. However it does get old quickly and the equity of it has to shift early on. More so now these days than back when my parents were dating.

Not me, I'm fully liberated. If them paying for the date makes them feel empowered, well then I'm all for that. As long as they don't expect anything from me afterwords, just because you bought me dinner doesn't mean I "owe" you anything!:curse: