Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Aug 18th 2021, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Philk
I dont think the airline check-in staff would be aware of your previous positive test and would only be looking for a negative test?
When we booked the test, the provider asked for current location and travel information. Based on this I would assume that this info was passed along to the UK Gov and British Airways.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

In the potential interests of others I thought I would relay my experience following the positive result so far.

British Airways were very difficult to track down. Impossible on the call numbers but we eventually got a call back after messaging via Twitter. Ba have washed their hands of any responsibility for rearranged flight costs as well as the additional costs of having the rental car, which we would be unable to return if in self isolation.

We have taken two more rapid antigen tests since testing positive and both came back negative. We are posting a PCr test away now. Perhaps it will also be negative.

The biggest problem for us getting home is trying to figure out if we can break the isolation period with a more accurate PCr negative test result m, coupled with a doctor clearing us (proof of recovery) . We will likely need a Dr to provide proof of recovery before we can fly and I cant seem to find anywhere that can do it, particularly for my wife who is a US citizen only. If anyone knows anywhere we could go to do this, that would be a huge help.
Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2021, 9:06 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone flying to the UK from the US, connecting through Dublin, my experience was as follows.

Aer Lingus check in in Chicago was very thorough re checking that I had done both my Irish and my UK passenger locator forms. You do need to do both, even if only transiting the airport airside. You also need negative Covid testing that satisfies both countries, although the Aer Lingus site was confusing. It seems that if not fully vaccinated, an RT-PCR test is required even to transit the airport. A Walgreens Rapid ID will get you into the UK. I am vaccinated, so the RT-PCR wasn't necessary, but they checked my test out anyway before telling me that.

On landing in Dublin, they checked my passport but didn't ask for anything else. On landing at Gatwick from Dublin, there was no immigration/customs/covid check of any kind. We just walked through, I suppose since it's in the common travel area.

I will get an RT-PCR test to return just in case Aer Lingus has a different opinion on the return trip. Their website isn't clear at all, and you can never get hold of anybody who knows these things. I also read the Irish government site, but that isn't consistent with the Aer Lingus site.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 9:14 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
In the potential interests of others I thought I would relay my experience following the positive result so far.

British Airways were very difficult to track down. Impossible on the call numbers but we eventually got a call back after messaging via Twitter. Ba have washed their hands of any responsibility for rearranged flight costs as well as the additional costs of having the rental car, which we would be unable to return if in self isolation.

We have taken two more rapid antigen tests since testing positive and both came back negative. We are posting a PCr test away now. Perhaps it will also be negative.

The biggest problem for us getting home is trying to figure out if we can break the isolation period with a more accurate PCr negative test result m, coupled with a doctor clearing us (proof of recovery) . We will likely need a Dr to provide proof of recovery before we can fly and I cant seem to find anywhere that can do it, particularly for my wife who is a US citizen only. If anyone knows anywhere we could go to do this, that would be a huge help.
Thanks

Ouch, sorry to hear this.

What "proof of recovery" could a doctor possibly provide other than a negative test anyway?

Hope you get this sorted.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony

Thanks
The first lateral flow test that you took (which came back positive) must have been an erroneous result, hence why I suggested you take a PCR test. If the PCR test comes back negative you do not need a proof of recovery documentation.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destone
The first lateral flow test that you took (which came back positive) must have been an erroneous result, hence why I suggested you take a PCR test. If the PCR test comes back negative you do not need a proof of recovery documentation.
we are waiting a PCR test result now. Fingers crossed.

I've been doing some digging, and some private clinics in the UK will provide proof of recovery so we can fly. Just got to wait for PCR test result to see if its negative. If so, were released from the 10 day isolation and can go to these private clinics.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destone
we are waiting a PCR test result now. Fingers crossed.

I've been doing some digging, and some private clinics in the UK will provide proof of recovery so we can fly. Just got to wait for PCR test result to see if its negative. If so, were released from the 10 day isolation and can go to these private clinics.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

and of course, the PCR test came back invalid. NHS test and trace are sending another one out.

At this point I am unsure its worth it to keep thinking about the fastest return possible via a negative PCR or just accept it as 10 days following the initial positive test we recieved.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Scot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really nice

I'm travelling back to the UK next week and plan to take the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test prior to travel, as it seems others have used this without any issues.

The CDC guidelines state that a negative antigen test is acceptable to use for entry into the US. Just wondered what test people were using for returning to the US and where they got it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scot1
I'm travelling back to the UK next week and plan to take the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test prior to travel, as it seems others have used this without any issues.

The CDC guidelines state that a negative antigen test is acceptable to use for entry into the US. Just wondered what test people were using for returning to the US and where they got it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
yeh, I used ID Now with no problems getting to the UK
Coming back I took a rapid antigen test from ExpressTest at T2 Heathrow, results were back in an hour. I took mine a couple of days before flying back, some people were taking the test for a flight later that day. Cost was 35GBP
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Scot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Philk
yeh, I used ID Now with no problems getting to the UK
Coming back I took a rapid antigen test from ExpressTest at T2 Heathrow, results were back in an hour. I took mine a couple of days before flying back, some people were taking the test for a flight later that day. Cost was 35GBP
Thanks for your reply. I'm flying back from Edinburgh Airport and I can get the antigen lateral flow test there for 50 pounds, or the PCR test for 80. I'm flying with British Airways so I'll go to the BA desk when I land, just to ensure they accept this test for my return flight.

I presume the check-in staff in the US check your CDC vaccination card as well as proof of a negative covid test? Also, do you have to download an app for the Walgreens test or do they email the results to you?

Regards

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. I'm flying back from Edinburgh Airport and I can get the antigen lateral flow test there for 50 pounds, or the PCR test for 80. I'm flying with British Airways so I'll go to the BA desk when I land, just to ensure they accept this test for my return flight.

I presume the check-in staff in the US check your CDC vaccination card as well as proof of a negative covid test? Also, do you have to download an app for the Walgreens test or do they email the results to you?

Regards
I flew before vaccination cards were accepted and the airline staff at Chicago checked all my documentation twice, once at check-in and then again at the gate
No app for Walgreens, results were emailed to me
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Regards
The American Airline staff checked our paperwork, include vaccination status before we boarded our internal flight
British Airways checked it again before we boarded our international flight. It wasn't checked when we arrived at London heathrow.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

SeattleFreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

Have anyone been able to use a lateral flow test to travel back into the US.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SeattleFreeze
Have anyone been able to use a lateral flow test to travel back into the US.
Yes, I took one at Heathrow to fly back in July

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.