Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Jun 30th 2021, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Blinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by tht
Yes but as others note if you are in the UK now you have to go via an allowable country for 14 days. It sounds like you are not married, if you are going to be in the US close to giving birth you need to make sure you have proper health insurance.. I had a couple in our condo in the city who had a very premature baby and I can only imagine what the cost of 2 months in the NYU NICU were.

It sounds like you must have seen each other in person around March, where was that?

Assuming your vaccinated, if you want a longer trip why not have him meet you for a 14 day baby moon in Mexico and then travel back to the US with him (assuming you have the right health coverage).

Yes, me and my boyfriend aren’t married yet. I planned to not travel too close to my due date, but if I end up doing so health insurance isn’t a problem. Having a baby moon doesn’t sound like a bad idea, however I am not vaccinated yet. Me and my boyfriend decided to wait till baby is here as we’re worried about the effect it may have on baby’s development.

we met in uni so he’s been living in the UK for the past 3 years, that’s where we were in March, but we’ve both graduated now so he’s having to move back to the states.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 4:02 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blinny
Yes, me and my boyfriend aren’t married yet. I planned to not travel too close to my due date, but if I end up doing so health insurance isn’t a problem. Having a baby moon doesn’t sound like a bad idea, however I am not vaccinated yet. Me and my boyfriend decided to wait till baby is here as we’re worried about the effect it may have on baby’s development.

we met in uni so he’s been living in the UK for the past 3 years, that’s where we were in March, but we’ve both graduated now so he’s having to move back to the states.
Make sure you look at insurnace very carefully, it may have changed with ACA, but I recall some would not cover pregnancy for 12 months. Marriage may not help with insurance then anyway if he is still on his parents policy (likely if he has been a student).

I have not read up on the peer reviewed science, but have seen on the news that babies with vaccinated mothers also have some immunity. Interesting that you think the vacine is a bigger risk than you getting sick especially if you travel but you have likely done way more research on it than me.

good luck with it all!
Old Jun 30th 2021, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check but usually Travel Insurance does not cover routine Pregnancy issues. I had not heard about a baby moon needed to look it up.

Have you filed for a K1 or are you looking at other options?
Old Jun 30th 2021, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Check but usually Travel Insurance does not cover routine Pregnancy issues. I had not heard about a baby moon needed to look it up.

Have you filed for a K1 or are you looking at other options?
On a standard health insurance (e.g. Cigna OAP through your employer) the pregnant woman can be added to the plan, and it’s not a pre-existing condition. You typically need to add a month ahead to take effect.

For private international health insurance (e.g. Cigna Global IPMI) you typically need to hold the policy for 12 months before they provide pregnancy coverage.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 5:53 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
On a standard health insurance (e.g. Cigna OAP through your employer) the pregnant woman can be added to the plan, and it’s not a pre-existing condition. You typically need to add a month ahead to take effect.

For private international health insurance (e.g. Cigna Global IPMI) you typically need to hold the policy for 12 months before they provide pregnancy coverage.
What you say above jogs my memory, it was a Cigna policy in Singapore that had the 12 month wait… and it covered ROW - Excluding USA, that cover was to expensive to include for any infrequent business trips.

The OP said the USC father was a student in the UK, unless he has already got a job back in the Us with benefits he is likely on his parents insurnace, I don’t think there is an option to a wife or a GF if you are already a dependent.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

I thought she was visiting?
Old Jul 1st 2021, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Blinny is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought she was visiting?
yeah I want to visit my boyfriend and his family
Old Jul 1st 2021, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blinny
yeah I want to visit my boyfriend and his family
So you need Travel Insurance.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 6:03 pm
tht

So you need Travel Insurance.
The concern with CV19 would be another travel shutdown or health issue that prevents a return to the UK. At some point you can’t travel anymore either later today in the pregnancy. Getting stranded in the US could turn out be a massively expensive issue as travel Insurnace is usually for a certain term and may not cover everything.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'd be rushing to travel to the US as an unvaccinated pregnant person, especially as it would require 14+ days in Mexico or some other third country. That's both from a health and financial standpoint.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

It would be simpler - relatively - for bf to visit UK. He’d have to comply with the quarantine and test regulations, though it is possible these might be eased for vaccinated people by end of summer. Even if not , he is not pregnant and could easily get health insurance. That, along with no need for a third country, is much less stress. His family could come too if they wanted…
Old Jul 5th 2021, 5:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So this is from the Beeb feed on Johnson's press conference today.

"Plans to replace isolation for fully-vaccinated people returning from amber list countries will be announced later this week."

But will that include people not originating travel in the UK, but in the US, and not on the NHS app as a result.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 8:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So this is from the Beeb feed on Johnson's press conference today.

"Plans to replace isolation for fully-vaccinated people returning from amber list countries will be announced later this week."

But will that include people not originating travel in the UK, but in the US, and not on the NHS app as a result.
All the talk about it in the news/media has been of it being for people returning from abroad, and Grant Shapps said it would apply to 'UK residents', but I don't think anybody knows for sure. Hopefully we'll find out more this week.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

I got back from the UK at the weekend, ORD-DUB-BHX-DUB-ORD. My experience -
  • IRE requires an RT-PCR test 72 hours beforehand and you have to fill in the Irish passenger locator form both ways - it has an option to say you are not staying in IRE so no problem for transit. Had to show the test result US side before boarding. Same test used for UK entry.
  • Had to show test result, day 2/8 test booking and UK accommodation plans before DUB-BHX boarding
  • BTW, do yourself a favour and print out your forms and test results - much easier when showing officials (although DUB and BHX have free Wi-Fi)
  • All four flights had masses of empty seats. Zero wait at DUB US preclearance - I was the only person when I walked through so the lack of Global Entry made no difference.
  • Couldn't find anywhere locally in the UK to get a same day RT-PCR test but my day 2 and 8 tests arrived on time in the post. Basically didn't care about the results since the day 5 TTR is the one you want (but they came by email in a day or two).
  • Did a day five test to release at Boots, results in email the following afternoon - arrange your flights so you can do this midweek and avoid delayed results over a weekend.
  • Did the same test again for US re-entry requirement. Required at BHX check-in, I saw people turned away. US health declaration form was collected in DUB

Also, UK test and trace phoned about 6 times in the first ten days. No in person visit.

Last edited by wtkp0u; Jul 6th 2021 at 4:25 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 4:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
  • Did a day five test to release at Boots, results in email the following afternoon - arrange your flights so you can do this midweek and avoid delayed results over a weekend.
  • [size=33px].

Thanks for this tip. I’d never have thought of that one! Every day helps ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.