Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culture shocks?

Culture shocks?

Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:01 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culture shocks?

Originally Posted by Weasy
Culture shocks? Let me ponder............... bloody everything. I hate it here so far, keep trying but miss everything about Australia, the people, the humour, the weather, the beach, our FANTASTIC friends and social life. I have one friend here so far (thank GOD for her, she's a brit who arrived in Utah a month or so before us, from Pennsylvania), neighbours aren't very welcoming, the school is not that welcoming to parents, the kids get loads of homework and it's all so different to Oz that we spend almost all of every evening doing homework. Dread growing old here cos of the health insurance thing, hate the obsession with grades at school. I'm lonely, sad, unhappy and having a very bad day. Why on earth did we leave a good life to move to this place!!!!!
Well, I'm just a stone throw away (Sandy) for the occasional chinwag.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:35 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pam

Hopefully we'll all get together again soon....

Louise
xx

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Well, I'm just a stone throw away (Sandy) for the occasional chinwag.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:56 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Alrighty young lady, where are you lot? Not heard a squeak. Need to know how things are going?
Old May 20th 2009, 2:03 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Culture shocks? Let me ponder............... bloody everything. I hate it here so far, keep trying but miss everything about Australia, the people, the humour, the weather, the beach, our FANTASTIC friends and social life. I have one friend here so far (thank GOD for her, she's a brit who arrived in Utah a month or so before us, from Pennsylvania), neighbours aren't very welcoming, the school is not that welcoming to parents, the kids get loads of homework and it's all so different to Oz that we spend almost all of every evening doing homework. Dread growing old here cos of the health insurance thing, hate the obsession with grades at school. I'm lonely, sad, unhappy and having a very bad day. Why on earth did we leave a good life to move to this place!!!!!
Just thought I'd give those of you who were kind enough to give me some support when I was so miserable a few months ago an update. Well, after a few ups and downs I'm very glad to say I'm pretty much over all that. I'm feeling much more settled and enjoying life again finally. It did take a bit of a crisis for me to really realise I had to just get on with it to make me actually do it but I did and I am. Just thought I'd give an update for other new people suffering from culture shock to give them hope that it will pass.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:40 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbj1000
There a lots of things that come to mind, and I'm sure you'll get a great list here.

...but what really shocked me was how serious "culture shock" actually is.

Read about the four stages of culture shock (and Google for more articles). The first weeks and months are wonderful, during the Honeymoon phase. It's after that that the real trouble can start, and you'll be much better off if you're ready for it. The Rejection stage, for me, lasted nearly 3 years, and I'm still not completely out of it. A strong, even aggressive dislike of many aspects of the host culture can lead to very tough times, sometimes resulting in real depression.

You'll get through it, and come to accept and appreciate your new home, but it can take a surprisingly long time.

In the meantime, enjoy your honeymoon period when you arrive - it really is a blast!
WOW
That is so true. I think I'm in the Regression & Isolation stage .
Thanks for that link mate
Old May 20th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd give those of you who were kind enough to give me some support when I was so miserable a few months ago an update. Well, after a few ups and downs I'm very glad to say I'm pretty much over all that. I'm feeling much more settled and enjoying life again finally. It did take a bit of a crisis for me to really realise I had to just get on with it to make me actually do it but I did and I am. Just thought I'd give an update for other new people suffering from culture shock to give them hope that it will pass.
Glad to hear you're feeling a bit happier than you were.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:02 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Any new place has it's challenges but I think Utah offers a special one since it is controlled by the LDS church. Makes the rest of us feel like we have sprouted horns for being a bit different. Still, once you work yourself around the obvious obstacles you do find some great folk and it is a beautiful place to live. Takes time and a lot of effort. Glad to hear things are getting better for you L.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:33 am
Banned

Gregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Directness of Americans which would be considered quite rude in the UK

When used in restaurants and dealing with service people in general. Very little please or thanks.

Took me a while to get used to that.

For most Brits it's very frightening at first....
Old May 25th 2009, 3:00 am
Just Joined

newyork28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Juswus
standing in the toy section of Walmart and being able to see the gun section

And pick up trucks with rifle racks!
Hello,

I have been living in new york now for a year and a half and I am actually from newcastle in the uk. The biggest culture shocks for me are:

1. health insurance- i miss the uk health system so much
2. tv- its terrible- full of adverts
3. racism definitely- for the first time in my life i have experienced people making judgements abt my behaviour and attitudes based on my colour
4. People seem to think more about money- how to make it and spend it. It feels more precious here.
5. People seem more into their family and less into their friends. The work place is not that friendly.

This is my experience of new york.

Hope this helps. (-:
Old May 25th 2009, 3:11 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newyork28
Hello,

I have been living in new york now for a year and a half and I am actually from newcastle in the uk. The biggest culture shocks for me are:

1. health insurance- i miss the uk health system so much
2. tv- its terrible- full of adverts
3. racism definitely- for the first time in my life i have experienced people making judgements abt my behaviour and attitudes based on my colour
4. People seem to think more about money- how to make it and spend it. It feels more precious here.
5. People seem more into their family and less into their friends. The work place is not that friendly.

This is my experience of new york.

Hope this helps. (-:
Those are better generalizations than many we get on here, but they're generalizations none the less.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:19 am
Just Joined

newyork28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Those are better generalizations than many we get on here, but they're generalizations none the less.
It is true not every place or person in new york fit this. I think my experience of new york might be different to someone who comes from london as I come from a smaller city in the uk.