Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old Jan 19th 2021, 4:02 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by Boiler
US has never been able to control its Borders, and as far as I am aware the incoming Administration is not going to want to move in that direction.
Well they control the official ones... agree if people don’t present at a POE it wound be harder. But doable at POE and most people arriving by air are unlikely to try an illegal crossing...
Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Quick update:
I traveled back to LAX on Sun 14 Feb (L-1A with valid National Interest Exception provided by the US Embassy in London), attempted entry via Global Entry (have been a member for years). This worked fine when I traveled to LAX on Sun 10 Jan; I just had to show my negative Covid-19 test result, and I was on my way. (I already got grilled at LHR at check-in if I had an NIE etc., a process that takes 30 mins)

However, this time, the CBP officer asked me why I am traveling, to which I responded "I work here". He didn't say a thing but called over a colleague of his. Said colleague, with my passport in his hand, walked me to the CBP "Admissibility Review Office" (private room, special CBP card entry only). I was seated down, and in a few minutes was asked to attend one of the booths within this room. The CBP officer (new person) asked who I worked for, and how long I spent outside the US (to which I replied three weeks). He then stamped my passport, and I was on my way.

What I found strange is that I was not asked for the Covid-19 test result, nor if I had a National Interest Exception (though they must see this on their end on the computer). I would have assumed the primary CBP officer (by the GE kiosk) could have pulled up the NIE information on his computer.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?
Old Feb 18th 2021, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

lme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nice

I have searched and googled everywhere for the answer to this question but can't find anything that specifically answers it. My husbands parents are US citizens and live in the US but we are UK citizens and passport holders. Is he exempt under the proclamations exemption for being a 'child' of a US citizen? Or is there an age limit of the child ie under 21? I can't find an age limit anywhere and can't seem to get hold of the embassy to ask. His mother is quite ill with cancer and going through some pretty nasty treatment. We are desperately trying to find a way to visit (we will quarantine and test when we get there) as we don't know whether we will see her again at this rate. Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2021, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lme30005
I have searched and googled everywhere for the answer to this question but can't find anything that specifically answers it. My husbands parents are US citizens and live in the US but we are UK citizens and passport holders. Is he exempt under the proclamations exemption for being a 'child' of a US citizen? Or is there an age limit of the child ie under 21? I can't find an age limit anywhere and can't seem to get hold of the embassy to ask. His mother is quite ill with cancer and going through some pretty nasty treatment. We are desperately trying to find a way to visit (we will quarantine and test when we get there) as we don't know whether we will see her again at this rate. Thanks
*edit* misread child and parent travel. The proclamation does not appear to apply any further restriction on the child of a USC per https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...20Guidance.pdf

The suspension of entry under the proclamation does not apply to: ... v. any alien who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;
Based on this it would allow your husband to travel but not you.

Last edited by Tino; Feb 18th 2021 at 2:03 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

lme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tino
The USC or PR must be under 21 and unmarried, yes. Per https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...20Guidance.pdf
That info suggested the parent alien must have a USC child under 21. What about the other way round, where the child is the alien but the parent is a USC? Or am I just getting confused?!
Old Feb 18th 2021, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tino
*edit* misread child and parent travel. The proclamation does not appear to apply any further restriction on the child of a USC per https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...20Guidance.pdf

Based on this it would allow your husband to travel but not you.
Cross posted, thanks! At least he could go if needed
Old Feb 18th 2021, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

That info suggested the parent alien must have a USC child under 21. What about the other way round, where the child is the alien but the parent is a USC? Or am I just getting confused?!
So your husband's parents moved to the US and took out US naturalisation? Your husband is a UK citizen born and bred?
Then, personally, I don't see how your husband would be eligible.
I would be interested to know if any application he makes would be approved.

As previously said YOU as wife would not be eligible under this proclamation.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Yes they moved there and became USC's about 12 years ago. It's really difficult to get any sort of answer as most searches seem to apply to immigrant visas, not just visiting on an ESTA. US embassy say they can't offer any sort of interpretation of the proclamation so no idea how we'd find out. Maybe an airline would know something
Old Feb 18th 2021, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they moved there and became USC's about 12 years ago. It's really difficult to get any sort of answer as most searches seem to apply to immigrant visas, not just visiting on an ESTA. US embassy say they can't offer any sort of interpretation of the proclamation so no idea how we'd find out. Maybe an airline would know something
Certainly visiting on an ESTA is no-no at the moment without an NIE approval: (see below)

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...d-ireland.html

Certainly the proclamation states that 'children' are exempt from the banning of travellers from the UK, (children, foster children, and wards); just interested to see how an adult with UK passport and parents who are naturalised US citizens would fare trying to enter US under his parents status.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 7:36 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Certainly visiting on an ESTA is no-no at the moment without an NIE approval: (see below)

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...d-ireland.html

Certainly the proclamation states that 'children' are exempt from the banning of travellers from the UK, (children, foster children, and wards); just interested to see how an adult with UK passport and parents who are naturalised US citizens would fare trying to enter US under his parents status.
A UK citizen I know just did a transit through the US back to the UK from a Caribbean island. He had to get an ESTA and a negative test before flying, on arrival in the US he went though immigration and customs and so he effectively entered the US (and had to go to check his duty free in). I thought the main issue was which country you are coming from not your citizenship, e.g. people going via a third county still works?
Old Feb 18th 2021, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I understand the OP is in the UK ....

yes, entering the US from outside of the 'banned zone' is still in effect I believe.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 8:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would be concerned about re-entering the UK. There are reports of the US being added to the mandatory hotel quarantine list of countries.
Old Mar 5th 2021, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

As per https://www.natlawreview.com/article...-schengen-area, I will update the forum here should my upcoming NIE be impacted next week when I travel from LAX to LHR (I need to return to LAX after two weeks).
Old Mar 6th 2021, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by destone
As per https://www.natlawreview.com/article...-schengen-area, I will update the forum here should my upcoming NIE be impacted next week when I travel from LAX to LHR (I need to return to LAX after two weeks).
More reports from the Paris Embassy: https://www.natlawreview.com/article...est-exemptions

To those who previously thought that NIEs were easy to obtain: we may be facing tough times ahead. Who would have thought that under Biden such arbitrary UK/Schengen restrictions would become much more severe.

According to https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/ur...lers-6506233/?, this must be concerning for those affected:
"Additionally, as the Department of State in Washington, D.C. will adjudicate these waiver requests, not the individual consular posts, we could see delays in the adjudication of these NIE waiver requests."

Last edited by destone; Mar 6th 2021 at 1:43 am.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by destone
And so I contacted the London Embassy yesterday (Sunday) upon landing via the usual way on their website. They replied today (so far it's consistent with prior experience). However, there are two changes:
  • Instead of replying to the sender (LondonInfoUnit at state dot gov), the requested information must now be sent to LondonNIE at state dot gov. This implies that the information shared in this JD Supra article is correct, i.e. "Additionally, as the Department of State in Washington, D.C. will adjudicate these waiver requests, not the individual consular posts, we could see delays in the adjudication of these NIE waiver requests."
  • There are two additional questions (there were 24 vs. 26 now):
    • "Have you previously applied for a national interest exception? (Yes/No)"
    • "What is your plan for adhering to CDC guidelines related to COVID-19?"
I'll keep the forum posted regarding the outcome. Previously, I'd get the approval in 5 business days. We'll see about that. If I don't receive approval by next week Friday I must go back home to LAX via two weeks in Mexico.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.