Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Copy from Marriage-based forum ..Can Anyone shed any light...???

Copy from Marriage-based forum ..Can Anyone shed any light...???

Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Copy from Marriage-based forum ..Can Anyone shed any light...???

But perhaps her BF paid for her flights etc. We just don't know, so there is no point in commenting on it.

I agree there is a problem with the system, but that's not her fault either. I've been a single parent living on income support, it's not a picnic, especially if you don't have any family support.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers (except the person who wrote the first post to convey his thoughts on the whole thing) personally I don't think this would have turned into a debate had someone not said anything. Anyway, I agree that the system certainly needs fine tuning - when a young person (not this woman, as I don't know her situation - I'm referring to someone my daughter knows) can have a baby, still work AND get benefits and move out of her mother's house and the council pays her rent in an expensive flat in town - there is something wrong! There is more to the story - but basically she received benefits because she was/is a single mother, and was paid quite well. At any rate, neither here nor there......Deedee, I fully appreciate what you're saying and didn't mean to say you were accusing the OP that she was lazy. At any rate - I suppose I need to give this a rest as well.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm really not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers
But at the end of the day Lisa, here is a brief synopsis of the facts.

She wants a family unit.......... wife / hubby and the kids.........yet she isn't willing to work, and doesn't think he should support them, and thinks the state has a duty to continue to support them.
whichever way toy cut it, the people here who lived in the UK and paid taxes are obliged to feel aggrieved that she basically said she wants to maintain her free ride.

Also, no offence, but if her husband isn't willing to support them then he isn't worth marrying.
(Although I do think she said that he shouldn't support them)
And go to the middle east forum on this site, and ask how many people there are maintaining two homes right now......the answer will be quite a few.
Also people don't work in Dubai for the sunshine, they work there for tax free wages and lots of it.

Fact of the matter is that those who can work, should. it's about pride dignity and honor.

It's a safety net, not a safety lifestyle.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
But at the end of the day Lisa, here is a brief synopsis of the facts.

She wants a family unit.......... wife / hubby and the kids.........yet she isn't willing to work, and doesn't think he should support them, and thinks the state has a duty to continue to support them.
whichever way toy cut it, the people here who lived in the UK and paid taxes are obliged to feel aggrieved that she basically said she wants to maintain her free ride.

Also, no offence, but if her husband isn't willing to support them then he isn't worth marrying.
(Although I do think she said that he shouldn't support them)
And go to the middle east forum on this site, and ask how many people there are maintaining two homes right now......the answer will be quite a few.
Also people don't work in Dubai for the sunshine, they work there for tax free wages and lots of it.

Fact of the matter is that those who can work, should. it's about pride dignity and honor.

It's a safety net, not a safety lifestyle.
Where does it say that she doesn't want him to support them? Or he doesn't want to support them? She said she'd be worse off if she went to work - that doesn't tell me she doesn't want to work.

I should add that I appreciate that someone living off of benefits (regardless of their situation) doesn't come off very positively. I do believe the system is set up to encourage the loafers not to work (not saying the OP is a loafer, loader, whatever) when you figure out how much you can make on benefits and how much you can make at a low paying job (especially if you've had role models to show you the way) it would be terribly easy for someone to make the choice. And before I'm flamed, I don't support this style of living.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jul 23rd 2007 at 3:30 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Where does it say that she doesn't want him to support them? Or he doesn't want to support them?
Originally Posted by tw1nkle_twinkle
even if my 'husband' was NOT a resident of this country or ever likely to be, he would be expected to 'support me'. This would just not be financially viable as an option,
She said she'd be worse off if she went to work - that doesn't tell me she doesn't want to work.
Who gives a rats ****ing ass if she'd be worse off if she went work.

If 300,000 poles and Bulgarians can get a job in England, then I am pretty sure she can too.

Fact of the matter Lisa, no matter whichever way you cut through the bullshit, she's living on the dole when she CAN work, and to the people whom support the welfare system it is unacceptable.

Whilst granted we don't know the wholse story, if this girl is going to school or college or whatever then I'll recind my point......but until such a time, she's a scrounger off the state.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Manc
Who gives a rats ****ing ass if she'd be worse off if she went work.

If 300,000 poles and Bulgarians can get a job in England, then I am pretty sure she can too.

Fact of the matter Lisa, no matter whichever way you cut through the bullshit, she's living on the dole when she CAN work, and to the people whom support the welfare system it is unacceptable.

Whilst granted we don't know the wholse story, if this girl is going to school or college or whatever then I'll recind my point......but until such a time, she's a scrounger off the state.
She didn't say that he didn't want to support them - or am I missing something? And whatever her story is and why she's living on benefits is the question or not, as the case may be.

Anyway, as I said previously, I don't support the general public living off of benefits as a way of life - but we don't know her situation - and that's exactly what started this whole debate in the first place

Lisa has left this thread......
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

"
Anyway, as I said previously, I don't support the general public living off of benefits as a way of life
"

Yet you condone it. Why is it OK for any physically fit person NOT to work but COLLECT taxpayers' money? Why does anyone have to pay for others not willing to get their butt up and get one, two, three jobs? Why is it that she is better off not working? Because she can sit at home, do nothing and still get money? Is it fair on those who work two jobs? Is it fair on those who work 12 hours each day?

If you are old enough to have a child, you should be old enough and responsible enough to support that child. Period.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

red flag 1 - bf might have paid for flights, but she dont want him to help support her!!! if he can pay for flights he certainly can pay to help support her. ...
second red flag - no work means she can travel when and how often she wants to. I want to travel i have to use my vacation days
third red flag -even if u work and earn less ur entitled to have "top ups" in the form of family credit, housing benefits etc etc. free school meals....
fourth red flag - he has to then leave and find a job in america, ummmm isnt there a affidavit of support that needs filling out... ummmm by the benefit office i wonder?
fourth red flag - too much emphasis on using the welfare as income .. its not its a benefit! for the needy and in need.
Get on a plane and go to america on holiday, can go to tesco and stack shelves if need be in my eyes.