Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Computer Virus - any ideas?

Computer Virus - any ideas?

Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:03 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer Virus - any ideas?

Sounds a lot like this one:

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/v....aspx?id=43005

BTW, I found this by googling the filename you gave.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:04 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
It seems that way, and yet the stuff it wants him to download is not microsoft stuff. And his computer seems to be affected in other ways too - eg can't boot up in safe mode.
Depends where you got it from.

Most machines come bundled with a load of stuff you don't need. First thing I do with a new machine is un-install all the crap not needed and switch off all the services that just take up memory.

Microsoft Updates can be a pain and is the first thing I disable. It can lock up your machine and cause booting issues.

Here is something you could try.

Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

I downloaded and ran this the other day and it found stuff my normal Spyware software couldn't find. My machine has performed a lot faster since.

Maybe worth a shot and your problem could be Spyware more than Viruses.

Plus it's free
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

With the greatest of respect to other posters: it's a trojan, believe me.

You should be able to get rid of it by updating whatever anti-virus s/w you have installed, and then running the other couple of programs I mentioned. If that doesn't do it, then we might have to don wellies and raincoat and delve into the Windows registry.

Or, as other posters have mentioned, you could hive away all your data (I strongly recommend an external USB harddrive for this) and re-install the operating system. However, you'll want to be running constantly updated anti-virus s/w in the future to guard against the little buggers re-installing themselves.

I'd like to hear more about your machine not booting in Safe Mode - if that's the case, the problem might be more serious.

In the meantime, sit back and have a cold one!

- britdrinker

It seems that way, and yet the stuff it wants him to download is not microsoft stuff. And his computer seems to be affected in other ways too - eg can't boot up in safe mode.

I suppose there could be 2 problems.

Anyway, we shall leave it for tonight and look again tomorrow. Thanks again for your help ....much appreciated.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Adobe P. : Yes, thanks, we did find that via Google, but we hit a snag when his machine would not boot in safe mode, so can't follow the intructions.

Rincewind: Thanks, yes, the Computer shop put that program on the machine, but it seems it hasn't found the culprit.

Britdrinker: Thanks - husband is at present shut in his "office" doing the Lavasoft/Spybot thing you advised .

The safe mode problem, as I understand it, is that whenever the machine is switched on it always wants to boot from a floppy. If you hit F8 and select C drive it will boot up, but next time you swich on it's back to the floppy thing again. Sorry if that is not very clear but I don't know the proper terms.

The computer tech shop is closed until Monday. If we cant solve it we'll have to let them loose on it again I suppose - we have paid them !!

I think the disc will have to be reformatted. His machine was built by this damned computer shop- I have a feeling that as computer technicians they'd make good plumbers!

Karma coming to those I'm allowed to K - IOU to the others!!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:14 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

The safe mode problem, as I understand it, is that whenever the machine is switched on it always wants to boot from a floppy. If you hit F8 and select C drive it will boot up, but next time you swich on it's back to the floppy thing again. Sorry if that is not very clear but I don't know the proper terms.
Have you tried saving the boot up sequence?

You can go into the system and change the order in which the PC boots up and save it.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
You can go into the system and change the order in which the PC boots up and save it.
Have you though about buying a Dell.....
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:34 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
ROFL!

Have you thought about buying a Mac?

There are approximately... NO viruses for Mac OS X and... NO spyware either.

And while the PC users are all boasting to you that that's because not enough people use Macs for the virus writers to be interested in, we Mac users can happily continue having no viruses and no spyware
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:35 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by dbj1000
And while the PC users are all boasting to you that that's because not enough people use Macs for the virus writers to be interested in, we Mac users can happily continue having no viruses and no spyware
Well, with the move to Intel chips, Macs are now just PCs in a nicer box

Expect to catch viruses and receive Spyware in the near future, lol.

Funny. No viruses on Macs huh? Do a search on Google and you'll find a few nasty ones although no where near as many for PC users.

Besides, if no viruses could penetrate OS X, you wouldn't have Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X.

Don't feel so secure

Last edited by rincewind; Jul 16th 2005 at 3:43 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

There are approximately... NO viruses for Mac OS X and... NO spyware either.
That's strictly not true....there are plenty of them out there, the Mac isn't all that much more secure than a pc to be honest, but it just doesn't get the air time....a really secure OS is Linux though, but that is a bit of a mare for desktop users.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:18 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's strictly not true....there are plenty of them out there, the Mac isn't all that much more secure than a pc to be honest, but it just doesn't get the air time....a really secure OS is Linux though, but that is a bit of a mare for desktop users.
thats actually a misnomer - linux has a shit load of vulnerabilities

I actually feel pretty qualified to speak on security vulnerabilities as i've been in the business for over 5 years and work for one of the leading software vendors in the area

osx is not a lot more than just another flavour of unix in my opinion
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray

Yep! I am the proud owner of a Dell 4700C which I like a lot.
Husband might well follow in my footsteps next time, he was probably being his usual frugal self when he bought his machine! To be fair it usually works well, and he has a large amount of stuff on it.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rincewind

Yes, we tried this but it didn't help- computer still acts as though it can't find Cdisc and goes back to floppy.

Also, husband has 2 hard discs on his machine. C and F.
C is what he uses all the time. F is mainly storage, but has Windows on it too.
But when he tries to use F for Windows he gets a message "No NTLDR"
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

Britarm: Spybot found "Trek Blue Error Nuker".

He's now waiting to see whether this has made a difference, or if it was an additional nuisance!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Britarm: Spybot found "Trek Blue Error Nuker".

He's now waiting to see whether this has made a difference, or if it was an additional nuisance!
you will be needing this ...
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html

and this could be helpful ...
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

The latter is the best tool for removing nasties. BUT, do not use it without nerd guidance. If you type hijckthis and forum in to Google, you'll find plenty of sites that'll help you out. Follow their guidance to the letter. Do not do anything till they tell you it's okay to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.