Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Computer Virus - any ideas?

Computer Virus - any ideas?

Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer Virus - any ideas?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The latter is the best tool for removing nasties. BUT, do not use it without nerd guidance. If you type hijckthis and forum in to Google, you'll find plenty of sites that'll help you out. Follow their guidance to the letter. Do not do anything till they tell you it's okay to do it.
http://www.geekstogo.com/index.php That's probably the best site out there for help removing nasties, especially using hijackthis.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray

Thanks Ray - working on it!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:50 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Well, with the move to Intel chips, Macs are now just PCs in a nicer box

Expect to catch viruses and receive Spyware in the near future, lol.
The biggest security risk on OS X is the virus scanner itself, LOL:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05...c_false_alarm/
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
ROFL!

Have you thought about buying a Mac?

There are approximately... NO viruses for Mac OS X and... NO spyware either.

And while the PC users are all boasting to you that that's because not enough people use Macs for the virus writers to be interested in, we Mac users can happily continue having no viruses and no spyware

Saying folks with Macs don't suffer virus problems is a little like saying folks in North Dakota don't suffer many problems with noise from their neighbours. Certainly true! But could you live there?
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:58 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Saying folks with Macs don't suffer virus problems is a little like saying folks in North Dakota don't suffer many problems with noise from their neighbours. Certainly true! But could you live there?
Thank you for your comments. I forgive you.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Bob and Fatbrit - Husband is currently perusing a long list of stuff thrown up by hijackthis - I have conveyed your warning, and advised to go to geekstogo.com ASAP.

My head hurts!!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

Completely OT - How many times does one have to spread karma before one can pass K on again to the same person, please?
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Thanks Bob and Fatbrit - Husband is currently perusing a long list of stuff thrown up by hijackthis - I have conveyed your warning, and advised to go to geekstogo.com ASAP.

My head hurts!!

Takes a bit of patience and at least a bottle of vino if you've got a nasty dose.

Hubby should read the FAQs @ http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_M...Log-t2852.html, download the software and run the pre-checks, then post the hijackthis log @ http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:22 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Completely OT - How many times does one have to spread karma before one can pass K on again to the same person, please?
25 other people I think. I wait to be corrected.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 12:45 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thrilled that you're all happy with your PCs, but I'm always surprised that any mention of Macs invariably ends up with a comment like Fatbrit's. Oh well.

To those of you protesting that I'm exaggerating when I say there are no viruses for the Mac, I can only assure you that I'm correct. There has never been any virus detected "in the wild". There have been a few "proof of concept" viruses sent to the various anti-virus software houses to illustrate security vulnerabilities in Mac OS X, but not one has ever infected ordinary people's computers around he world.

There are hundreds of viruses in the Sophos and Norton anti-virus packages for the Mac... and every single one of them is either for a Microsoft Office Macro virus (90%), a proof-of-concept virus written to keep the anti-virus people happy, or a definition of a PC virus intended to removed PC viruses from Mac email attachments so that unsuspecting Mac users don't pass them on to their PC-using friends.

So, again, there are NO viruses for Mac OS X, and no spyware either.

I enjoy using PCs almost as much as Macs, and both have many advantages over the other in some areas. For me, not having to worry about viruses and spyware at home is a significant reason for wanting to use a Mac when I'm not at work.

I'm sure one day soon this situation will change, but for now I think I'm justified in recommending Macs to people who are spending hours disinfecting their PCs when they could be doing something better with their time.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 12:59 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rincewind
Like I say, I bet you don't have one if McAfee (crap by the way) is up to date. It's just a scare tactic to get you to update things.
Out of interest, if McAfee is crap - what is good?

I use F-secure and touch wood, so far so good.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:16 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm thrilled that you're all happy with your PCs, but I'm always surprised tI'm sure one day soon this situation will change, but for now I think I'm justified in recommending Macs to people who are spending hours disinfecting their PCs when they could be doing something better with their time.
That's good! You can spend the extra time looking for the software you need!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:28 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Chandler

Both free. Use one or the other, not both! Two installed viruses checkers is guaranteed to cause problems.
Avast!
AVG
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:48 am
ImHere

Both free. Use one or the other, not both! Two installed viruses checkers is guaranteed to cause problems.
Avast!
AVG
I've had my flu jab this year. Do I still need a virus checker?

Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:51 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler

I've used McAfee for years.....and so far I've never had a problem with a virus.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.