Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Computer Virus - any ideas?

Computer Virus - any ideas?

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer Virus - any ideas?

Originally Posted by krizzy
I've used McAfee for years.....and so far I've never had a problem with a virus.........
The problem with McAfee is that it acts like a virus. I'm dealing with a computer at work that came with McAfee pre-installed. Got to get rid of it because the site uses Symantec. Almost as much of a pain in the arse as getting rid of CoolWebSearch from my wife's machine.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:43 am
Just Joined

jamiemac is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Dimsie]I know exactly whay you have got, and I'll bet you got it when trying to download a free screen saver or something! Do you also get lots of stuff about Anti Virus Gold and various pop up messages about being infected.. Even if you don't read on.

It's taken me 3 days to rid my PC but I have been succesful. What you need to do is get down to : www.geekstogo.com (yes it really is called that).

These guys are totally amazing, they will basically get you to run some diagnoistic programs which they will send you, they then analyse the results and instruct you on how to fix it. A totally lifesaving process!

Good luck! It looks dunting but it really is not that hard!

QUOTE]
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I've had my flu jab this year. Do I still need a virus checker?

No -- but remember it doesn't protect against HIV.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:56 am
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

Since no-one has mentioned it yet.....

To stop spyware and adware (probably not 100% but a large number),
Download mozilla firefox, its free, and you can turn off java and javascript easier than with using IE.
Only enable javascript whn you visit forums like this, or other sites you "trust".
This has prevented me from getting alot of potential adware and spyware.
As for computer viri.... Do not open attachemnts, and do not use peer to peer clients unless you are prepared to live with the consequences.
Back up anything important to cd, or any other removable media, and reformat the drive to avoid pulling out your hair hunting down self replicating exe files.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 11:08 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No -- but remember it doesn't protect against HIV.
It doesnt? Oh shit. What do I need for that? McAffee? Dr Norton for O/S2?
Or can I download something to disinfect it?

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the new replies chaps !

The husband is still manfully attempting to hunt and kill the trojan thingie, using all suggested means. We've visited geekstogo.com and have read through the initial instructions, he's gointg to try a couple of different free progs they suggest (and require) before posting the hijackthis log to their forum. It seems like an excellent site, the only snag seems to be that they are extrmely busy (not surprising!). The latest posting to be receiving help originated on 12 July, so we are in for a wait!

The computer tech shop still owes us, too. So we'll try on both fronts.

Thanks again y'all. Your help and interest is greatly appreciated. Karma has gone to all those I'm allowed, and I have notes of IOUs to others. 25 people is an awful lot to have to karma before you can give again to same person...
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie

The husband is still manfully attempting to hunt and kill the trojan thingie, using all suggested means. We've visited geekstogo.com and have read through the initial instructions, he's gointg to try a couple of different free progs they suggest (and require) before posting the hijackthis log to their forum. It seems like an excellent site, the only snag seems to be that they are extrmely busy (not surprising!). The latest posting to be receiving help originated on 12 July, so we are in for a wait!

Thanks again y'all. Your help and interest is greatly appreciated. Karma has gone to all those I'm allowed, and I have notes of IOUs to others. 25 people is an awful lot to have to karma before you can give again to same person...
Post your HJ log here ..we like a laugh...

www.tomcoyote.org is another place
this sounds like your problem
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/lofivers...hp/t41346.html

Last edited by Ray; Jul 17th 2005 at 3:14 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:19 pm
ImHere

So 5 days later he's still no better off. 1 day max for a reformat and reinstall. And the sheer sense of liberation you get with a freshly installed and fast running machine to boot.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Ray - more fodder for us to try!

I know I'mHere ! He's too patient by half. I'd have done a reformat yesterday, but he's stubborn!!!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuTziE
To stop spyware and adware (probably not 100% but a large number),
Download mozilla firefox, its free, and you can turn off java and javascript easier than with using IE.
Only enable javascript whn you visit forums like this, or other sites you "trust".
This has prevented me from getting alot of potential adware and spyware.
As for computer viri.... Do not open attachemnts, and do not use peer to peer clients unless you are prepared to live with the consequences.
Back up anything important to cd, or any other removable media, and reformat the drive to avoid pulling out your hair hunting down self replicating exe files.
Java issue really isn't that bad, it's the downloading of shite that's really the issue....but your right, FF is more secure than FF....just...
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/ That's another site to check out, well that's the forum, the main site, just remove the forums from the url...but it's another good one.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/ That's another site to check out, well that's the forum, the main site, just remove the forums from the url...but it's another good one.

Thanks, Bob!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:32 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ray - more fodder for us to try!

I know I'mHere ! He's too patient by half. I'd have done a reformat yesterday, but he's stubborn!!!

I clean my PC of crap.....but a good reformat makes my old rust bucket work like new.......
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You had the best advice in post #2. If you value your time, and you have a backup of all your documents, then re-install everything.

It's even better if you have a restore CD/DVD.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Certainly the most effective solution is a re-install, however you will need to be diligent about spyware/adware/malware/crapware on your freshly installed system. If you keep an anti-virus application updated (imho it's worth paying for this) as well as regularly running the Spybot / AdAware applications, you will protect your system.

What's most important though, is not to let the pop-ups run on your system in the first place, and never to click on them! What they do is add lines to the Windows registry which are then very hard to get rid of. Even when you think you have deleted the infection, it promptly re-installs itself the next time you reboot. The HiJack This software, although tricky to use, will help you get rid of that.

I recommend using Windows XP with Service Pack 2, which has a decent pop-up blocker in it, or as another poster suggested, switching to Mozilla Firefox and turning off javascripting unless you need it.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You had the best advice in post #2. If you value your time, and you have a backup of all your documents, then re-install everything.

It's even better if you have a restore CD/DVD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.