Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coast-to-coast train journey

Coast-to-coast train journey

Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coast-to-coast train journey

Originally Posted by Bob
From my and family experience, even if you take out the fact that punctuality is a bit iffy at best. The staff have been unhelpful at best, rude at worst, the trains have been minging, the toilets vomit inducing, the seats not that comfortable and the ticket pricing not really that reasonable. They're better for the old folks who can get a discount but the rates aren't that much better.

The issue also tends to be being dumped on the edge of town, which is marginally worse than being dumped in the ghetto of down town that a coach would do.

I haven't gone coast to coast though, just Maine to Mass, but the missus and her family have used it to go down the east coast a few times.

With that Amtrak experience, I wouldn't want to go further, which is a shame as it should be a great way to see the country and I love going on the train.
You do seem to have a jaded view of Amtrak. I've done a fair few trips:

Springfield-New York and back a few times.
Springfield-Chicago-Memphis
Birmingham, AL-Washington DC-Springfield
Boston-Portland and back
San Diego-Santa Barbara

I find that Amtrak coach seats are roomier and more padded that most US domestic airlines' first class (on all but the trans-cons). The staff are a mixed bunch, some happy, some miserable, but roughly the same ratio as any airline I've ever frequented. The fares aren't too bad either - they've recently reduced the fare to New York to $29 each way, which I think is a bit of a bargain.

Their rewards programme is good too. Points are fairly easy to acquire (as I said, my sleeping car trip to Seattle cost me almost nothing - well, probably about $55 for two people - and I didn't need to travel on a train to get them) and, while there are some blackout dates around holidays, the rest of the time award tickets aren't capacity-controlled unlike the airlines. If there's a seat - or a sleeping compartment - you can have it.

Amtrak long-haul simply cannot compete with airlines - obviously - based on travel time. No-one who is concerned about time should take the train.

The bogs can be rancid (as can plane bogs), but if your closest one has suffered a code brown then simply stroll down the train to the next one.

You should give them another go.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
You do seem to have a jaded view of Amtrak. I've done a fair few trips:
Aye, but that's because they've not been kind to me. It's like going to a restaurant and getting shit food, a second chance but rarely more than that.

Especially as it's not really any more convenient these days, certainly since the Bigdig is over with, driving back and forth to Maine isn't that bad.

The missus used to use it to get down to PA a few times and down to DC/VW area for the family.

The new prices to NY are pretty decent though, but the service just isn't really very reliable enough. Sure speed isn't of the essence, but if you're spending a couple days somewhere and you get a couple hour delay, that's a big chunk of the trip wasted and until there's some real competition to the trains, there's likely not going to be much improvements other than being a bit of a novelty.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
From my and family experience, even if you take out the fact that punctuality is a bit iffy at best. The staff have been unhelpful at best, rude at worst, the trains have been minging, the toilets vomit inducing, the seats not that comfortable and the ticket pricing not really that reasonable. They're better for the old folks who can get a discount but the rates aren't that much better.

The issue also tends to be being dumped on the edge of town, which is marginally worse than being dumped in the ghetto of down town that a coach would do.

I haven't gone coast to coast though, just Maine to Mass, but the missus and her family have used it to go down the east coast a few times.

With that Amtrak experience, I wouldn't want to go further, which is a shame as it should be a great way to see the country and I love going on the train.
To be fair though, you haven't exactly seen much - just a small corner where the routes tend to be short haul, even commuter, so you don't really get the long haul experience. Even the Silver Service down the east coast is not really representative of the whole thing.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I wanted to take Amtrak to a New York Christmas visit a few years ago. But after tracking the daily delays on the leg from San Francisco to Chicago, I realized there was just too big a risk of being stuck in Chicago through a missed connection.
Something that Amtrak will do is put you up in a hotel for the night and give you food - both on a very late train and dinner/breakfast in Chicago. Depending on your connection they also sometimes run coaches or taxis to connect with the other train, or hold the other train if there are a lot of connectees.

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
On the occasions that I've had to collect a group from either, Mt. Pleasant, IA, or Galesburg, IL Stations.....a delay of 6 Hours or more is not unheard of.
Yeah. On time is not unheard of either.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
California Zephyr is bad at 58%, seems BNSF dislikes passenger trains.
The Zephyr runs on UP from Denver to the west, and that's where it picks up most of the delays. BNSF do actually try to run the trains on time because they receive large cash incentives for doing so from Amtrak. I was at the BNSF Network Ops Center in Fort Worth about 8 years ago and watched as the dispatcher quite literally cleared the tracks for tens of miles in front of the Empire Builder so it could have a clear run - a daily ritual in each direction.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Sounds like a great trip - would love to have the time to do something like that. Not done any trains in the US (unless you count Thomas the Tank Engine), but many moons ago (early 80's) I did York to Istanbul and the following year Darlington to Marrakech. Great time, and would love to retrace the routes, although I suspect my ageing bones may be more suited to a "roomette jobbie" than the luggage racks they slept on last time....

More recently (about 12 years ago!) I took the other half on a romantic weekend trip on the Orient Express from Bangkok to Singapore. Now that was nice! And it has to be said, there is something very erm "romantic" about the motion of a train trundling thru the Malaysian jungles at 25 miles an hour...
Last Saturday 30/06/12 I and my partner and two friends went on a special charter train excursion from Norwich to Durham city, passing through both York and Darlington, then back again later that day....start time 04:45 from Norwich, arriving back in Norwich at 22:50 hrs. We were staying with friends who live in Norwich, a city I absolutely adore.

The weather throughout the day all the way from Norwich to Durham, during our stay in this lovely cathedral city, and back again was a right mixture - heavy rain, glimpes of sun, then showers and periods of rain again and wee spells of sunshine again.....UK "Summer" 2012 at its finest......
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Last Saturday 30/06/12 I and my partner and two friends went on a special charter train excursion from Norwich to Durham city, passing through both York and Darlington, then back again later that day....start time 04:45 from Norwich, arriving back in Norwich at 22:50 hrs. We were staying with friends who live in Norwich, a city I absolutely adore.

The weather throughout the day all the way from Norwich to Durham, during our stay in this lovely cathedral city, and back again was a right mixture - heavy rain, glimpes of sun, then showers and periods of rain again and wee spells of sunshine again.....UK "Summer" 2012 at its finest......
Was it run by Amtrak
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how Amtrak defines late and what the average lateness is for its cross country routes?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:08 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Was it run by Amtrak
He is BE's official Queen of Irrelevance...
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

A friend decided to use moving to Oakland as an excuse to take the train cross country from Pennsylvania. She's a writer, and so found the trip good for getting stuff out.

I think I'd like to do something similar in the near future.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how Amtrak defines late
There used to be the 30/90 rule but I'm not sure whether it's changed. That meant 30 minutes for short haul like north east corridor, Bob's Downeaster, etc, and 90 minutes for long haul like the California Zephyr. Thus recently the CZ arrived within 90 minutes of scheduled arrival time at Emeryville/Chicago about 60% of the time. Note that Amtrak heavily pads its final run from the penultimate stop to make it more likely to arrive on time - just like the UK.

and what the average lateness is for its cross country routes?
See for yourself on Amtrak's website. It even breaks it down into who caused the delay, and what caused the delay (in general terms like track/signalling defects or dispatching priority).
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
The Zephyr runs on UP from Denver to the west, and that's where it picks up most of the delays. BNSF do actually try to run the trains on time because they receive large cash incentives for doing so from Amtrak. I was at the BNSF Network Ops Center in Fort Worth about 8 years ago and watched as the dispatcher quite literally cleared the tracks for tens of miles in front of the Empire Builder so it could have a clear run - a daily ritual in each direction.
I was being light hearted with the BNSF comment as they were the top of the list for the top delay cause.

Track and Signals: 35.2%
64.6% on BNSF Railway Company
35.0% on Union Pacific
0.4% on Amtrak

But yet in the other categories of operational and train interference, UP wins for top spot.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I was being light hearted with the BNSF comment as they were the top of the list for the top delay cause.

35.0% on Union Pacific
0.4% on Amtrak

But yet in the other categories of operational and train interference, UP wins for top spot.
That was for May, when there was flooding in the midwest - BNSF's trackage. Some trains were put on different routes which means delays whether due to distance/speed or waiting for the host railroad's pilot crew.

Incidentally, if you include the statistics you missed out, UP came top with 45% of overall delays; BNSF 35%. Are you a politician by any chance?

No I don't work for BNSF but if they want to send some work my way... or any other RR for that matter!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

35.0% on Union Pacific
0.4% on Amtrak

Interesting info, but I'm not seeing any absolute numbers for delays on Amtrak's website.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:21 pm
Septic Sprout

Well I'm on the train now, safely ensconced in my cosy little compartment sipping Cabernet, listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and watching western MA roll by. Not bad. Another 65 hours of this to go...

45 minutes late so far...

Last edited by tonrob; Jul 6th 2012 at 8:23 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Well I'm on the train now, safely ensconced in my cosy little compartment sipping Cabernet, listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and watching western MA roll by. Not bad. Another 65 hours of this to go...
Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Rail Drink"

Safe & Timely Travels.

Jim
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:28 pm
Septic Sprout

By the way, my mate missed his outward flight due to a shambles on the M25. Apparently he's now on the last JFK flight out of Heathrow, an hour late and sat in a jump seat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.