Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coast-to-coast train journey

Coast-to-coast train journey

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coast-to-coast train journey

Originally Posted by Juswus
I did Amtrak alone from Louisiana to New York years ago and it was amazing to just sit there and watch the world go by and not have to worry about a thing. Fall asleep in your chair for a while, get up and get a drink, watch the beautiful scenery roll by. It was back when they had a smoking carriage, and the characters I met in there were outstanding!!
Let me see, a short Belgian gentleman with a funny mustache, a mysterious American businessman who wanted to employ you as a bodyguard and 12 other shifty looking people with a murderous glint in their eyes...
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:36 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Sounds cool. Go for it. Get more than one bottle of whisky though.

The only prob with long train trips across the USA is that they carry on going during the dark. You don't see it all then. Wish they'd stop for a rest until it was daylight again.

seat61.com is still going then? That was/is a great sight. I remember being back in the UK and reading on there how to get a train from England to China and thinking what a great trip that would be.

Some of the trips on there would start with 'first get a train from London to Moscow' as if that was a piece of piss. I spose it is but all the same...
I once planned a trip from London to Hi Chi Minh City by train (3 weeks) and actually got a couple of people to agree to come in princuple, but it all kind of fizzled out before we actually got round to booking anything.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonrob
I once planned a trip from London to Hi Chi Minh City by train (3 weeks) and actually got a couple of people to agree to come in princuple, but it all kind of fizzled out before we actually got round to booking anything.
I like the London to India one on there:

http://www.seat61.com/India-overland.htm

Simple!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.oz-bus.com/

Try this.

Jim.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:43 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Let me see, a short Belgian gentleman with a funny mustache, a mysterious American businessman who wanted to employ you as a bodyguard and 12 other shifty looking people with a murderous glint in their eyes...
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't say I've ever wanted to visit California, but I would love to do Boston to Florida by Amtrak.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:49 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Anyone done a coast-to-coast train trip?

I've got some points to burn so was thinking of doing a classic coast-to-coast train trip next Summer. Boston to Chicago on the Lake Shore and then onward to Seattle (or Portland) on the Empire Builder.

I've traveled long-distance on Amtrak before, and also been to all the cities concerned on various other (non-train) trips, but this will be the longest train trip I've taken in one shot. There's just something about the idea of pulling out of Boston knowing that I'm heading all the way to the west coast!

I'd be doing one of those cramped little Roomette jobbies and taking a big bottle of very nice whisky with me for the boring bits. I've been thinking about this for a while but am beginning to wonder whether I'm just in love with the idea of it, with the actual journey itself not being quite as much fun...

Anyone done anything similar?
I have never done this myself but it sounds like fun. Have a great time.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Can't say I've ever wanted to visit California, but I would love to do Boston to Florida by Amtrak.
Amtrak are shit though...
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 2:11 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
The only problem that I've experienced in traveling on the eastern side of the country is miles and miles of bloody trees alongside the train so you don'y see anything for miles at a time.

Originally Posted by Bob
And what are the alternatives for long-distance train travel? You have to want to do it, faults and all, otherwise just catch a plane or drive.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:29 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought they were pretty good every time I've been on them. Perhaps you're posher than me though
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
I thought they were pretty good every time I've been on them. Perhaps you're posher than me though
Only been on the train a couple of times, not including commuter trains, so pretty limited experience admittedly but...they're basically larger versions of the Greyhound bus in my experience.

Smelled of piss, filled of people who look like they're just been released and are quickly on their return to prison and terribly shit at being on time
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Only been on the train a couple of times, not including commuter trains, so pretty limited experience admittedly but...they're basically larger versions of the Greyhound bus in my experience.

Smelled of piss, filled of people who look like they're just been released and are quickly on their return to prison and terribly shit at being on time
A better class than Greyhound - but you're right about the lateness thing . Arriving the same day as scheduled is considered "on time" to them.

Mind you, in some ways, they're quicker than the UK. When somebody decides to use the train as a personal guillotine, in the UK the tracks will be closed for a good 24 hours while they pick up the bits, tut-tut loudly, and stomp around for a bit. In the US, shovel it to one side, hose down the loco, and be off within a couple of hours.

IMHO the East Coast trains are the worst - Silver Star and Silver Meteor (I think). Miserable crews and only single level trains that tend to be quite busy. None of the camaraderie aspect of the longer haul trains out west.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:46 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by GeoffM
A better class than Greyhound - but you're right about the lateness thing . Arriving the same day as scheduled is considered "on time" to them.

Mind you, in some ways, they're quicker than the UK. When somebody decides to use the train as a personal guillotine, in the UK the tracks will be closed for a good 24 hours while they pick up the bits, tut-tut loudly, and stomp around for a bit. In the US, shovel it to one side, hose down the loco, and be off within a couple of hours.

IMHO the East Coast trains are the worst - Silver Star and Silver Meteor (I think). Miserable crews and only single level trains that tend to be quite busy. None of the camaraderie aspect of the longer haul trains out west.
I much prefer the single level trains based on my experience so far. The upper bunk in a roomette on the upstairs level of a bi-level car is a bit like trying to sleep in a coffin. Not for the claustrophobic at all...

The upper bunk in a single-level roomette has much more room and even has its own window to look out of as you lie tucked-up in bed. An infinitely better experience altogether.

Last edited by tonrob; Dec 4th 2011 at 9:54 am.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I much prefer the single level trains based on my experience so far. The upper bunk in a roomette on the upstairs level of a bi-level car is a bit like trying to sleep in a coffin. Not for the claustrophobic at all...

The upper bunk in a single-level roomette has much more room and even has its own window to look out of as you lie tucked-up in bed. An infinitely better experience altogether.
Ah, Superliner roomettes compared to Viewliner roomettes. On some forums you would be taken away by men in white coats if you so much as dared to entertain the idea of more than one adult in a Superliner roomette (thus needing the top bunk). I've done it and it's not great admittedly. Viewliners, yes better.

Viewliners, however, have the dubious distinction of having the toilet in your room. So when you see people just standing outside their bedrooms, it's usually because their other half is having a dump. Either stand outside or try not to stare or sniff. Lovely.

However, for the rest of the train, I think Superliners are much better. For one, the lounge car actually has decent size windows that (in most cases) the seats face. The single level version is usually just the dining car when it's not open for service. The vertically narrow windows of the coach cars, supposedly following the design of aircraft, are horrible. And just being higher up on a Superliner just feels good for me .
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Only been on the Acela service and that was fine, similar to UK Intercity trains, definitely better than buses/coaches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.