Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Wikiposts

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old May 28th 2024, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Originally Posted by Mez12
I received my letter saying I can pay class 2 NIC. I have 13 qualifying years up to now(I’m 35).

Do I wait for another letter now with information to pay or is there a webpage with payment information?

The letter I received just says if I want to change from an annual payment I can fill in another CF83.
I received this letter but with an extra page with the payment options and amount I owed for April 2023- April 2024.
Also very backwards that they send out these letters with the class 2 amounts you can pay but then do not update their database which shows the data online that is out of date.
You would think it would be reverse! Database/records update then letters out.. lol
Payment options were by cheque or bank transfer to GBS HMRC with their sort code and account number.
Old May 28th 2024, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Mez12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Originally Posted by alfista1
I received this letter but with an extra page with the payment options and amount I owed for April 2023- April 2024.
Also very backwards that they send out these letters with the class 2 amounts you can pay but then do not update their database which shows the data online that is out of date.
You would think it would be reverse! Database/records update then letters out.. lol
Payment options were by cheque or bank transfer to GBS HMRC with their sort code and account number.
Thank you for the information.

I’ll reach back out to them and see if I can get that other page.
Old Jun 2nd 2024, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

On 23rd March I paid my Class 2 contributions for missing years - 10 weeks ago.

The letter confirming I was eligible to pay Class 2 said it can take 8 weeks for payments to appear in my account, but my record (https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check...count/nirecord) doesn't reflect that I've made payments. In fact it still says I have gaps and would need to pay 845 pounds for each year - which I presume is the class 3 rate.

What are people seeing in their NI record after payments have been applied? Did it take more than 10 weeks?
I'm going to call on Monday morning - are they answering the phone these days? I know it was almost impossible to get through a year ago, what's the situation these days?

cheers

DM
Old Jun 2nd 2024, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Pierre_Tete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 00derek
The letter confirming I was eligible to pay Class 2 said it can take 8 weeks for payments to appear in my account

DM
I paid a lump sum for Class 2 for years 2006-2022 about 8 weeks ago. Nothing has been credited to my account yet. Looking back up this thread I see various responses saying it can take 6 weeks to 6 months. Like you, I plan to make a follow-up call soon.
Old Jun 2nd 2024, 3:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pierre_Tete
I paid a lump sum for Class 2 for years 2006-2022 about 8 weeks ago. Nothing has been credited to my account yet. Looking back up this thread I see various responses saying it can take 6 weeks to 6 months. .....
I sent cheques for two years (current year and their choice of either 2006-07 or 2007-08) around May 2022, and didn't hear back (confirming that I am now fully paid up, with 35 years of contributions) until three weeks ago, May 2024!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 2nd 2024 at 3:35 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2024, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

I just called the number on my letter (confirming I can pay Class 2) +44 191 218 3600. It was a completely automated process, I didn't get to speak to anyone.

Long story short, it's taking more than 8 weeks. If you've made payments they will (eventually) be reflected in your NI record (https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check...count/nirecord). Any years that were gap years, should now show as full years, something like this;

2023 to 2024
Full year
View 2023 to 2024 details

You have contributions from

Self-employment: 52 weeks

That's from my record; not sure why it says self-employment as I'm not self-employed. But it's a full year when I worked in the US so it has to mean they received my payment.

As much as checking that my NI record is getting updated, I wanted to get some kind of acknowledgement that when I sent several thousand dollars from Wise to HMRC, they didn't just disappear into the void - e.g. a receipt for money received.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 00derek
I just called the number on my letter (confirming I can pay Class 2) +44 191 218 3600. It was a completely automated process, I didn't get to speak to anyone.

Long story short, it's taking more than 8 weeks. If you've made payments they will (eventually) be reflected in your NI record (https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check...count/nirecord). Any years that were gap years, should now show as full years, something like this;

2023 to 2024
Full year
View 2023 to 2024 details

You have contributions from

Self-employment: 52 weeks

That's from my record; not sure why it says self-employment as I'm not self-employed. But it's a full year when I worked in the US so it has to mean they received my payment.

As much as checking that my NI record is getting updated, I wanted to get some kind of acknowledgement that when I sent several thousand dollars from Wise to HMRC, they didn't just disappear into the void - e.g. a receipt for money received.
There are various numbers, but I generally have had more success calling HMRC when I was making catch-up payments- when calling the pension department the issue arose of what number to call,I never dealt with an automated call.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone received their NIC demand letter yet for 2024?

In prior years, I have received it (and paid) by mid-May. No sign yet.

I guess I can just go ahead and send the payment anyway as I don't actually need the letter.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Pierre_Tete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Yes. Mine arrived about 2 weeks ago.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I can just go ahead and send the payment anyway as I don't actually need the letter.
Originally Posted by Pierre_Tete
Yes. Mine arrived about 2 weeks ago.
Mine arrived May 13 2024. Date on letter: April 06 2024.

179.40 GBP.

I never received mine last year and just mailed in the payment. Worked.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 2:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As noted in post #830 above, I received my "annual communication" about three weeks ago, saying that I am all paid up.

And as per Steerpike, I have also sent an unbilled payment in the past.
Old Jun 4th 2024, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I’ll just send the payment. This should make both of us fully paid up.

Old Jun 5th 2024, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I’ll just send the payment. This should make both of us fully paid up.
Then keep checking your balance at HMRC online! IIRC, mine showed up around September!
Old Jun 6th 2024, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by morpeth
There are various numbers, but I generally have had more success calling HMRC when I was making catch-up payments- when calling the pension department the issue arose of what number to call,I never dealt with an automated call.
Do you have that HMRC number handy?

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2024, 12:02 am
Just Joined

PaulineN74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I mailed my application to pay Class 2 contributions in February (4 months ago), does anyone know how long it takes to receive a response? Judging by the other posts it sounds like it could take awhile but wondering if anyone has had recent experience as to how long it takes.
Also, I wasn't able to set up an account online - can be done via a phone call?
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.