Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Wikiposts

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:14 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Originally Posted by snufkinette
Wow, both the photos you have posted to this thread reveal lovely scenes. May I ask where they are?
Sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite_Dells

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_Lake_%28Arizona%29

Both are within a few miles of the center of Prescott.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott,_Arizona
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:54 am
Just Joined

stuexeter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Interesting. I always imagine desert when I think of Arizona. In fact, I saw a film not too long ago set in Arizona (Phoenix, maybe, although I can't remember) and was actually surprised to see leafy suburbs!

Anyway, I'm from Georgia, so therefore very comfortable around lots of trees. Would be nice to see features like the Granite Dells, though. We hope to make it out west one day, especially to see places like the Grand Canyon.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuexeter
Interesting. I always imagine desert when I think of Arizona. In fact, I saw a film not too long ago set in Arizona (Phoenix, maybe, although I can't remember) and was actually surprised to see leafy suburbs!

Anyway, I'm from Georgia, so therefore very comfortable around lots of trees. Would be nice to see features like the Granite Dells, though. We hope to make it out west one day, especially to see places like the Grand Canyon.
Difference in elevation -- Phoenix is at around 1100 feet, while Prescott is a mile-high city.

The leafy suburbs in Phoenix come from irrigation. The natural landscape is more like this:

Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:38 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
Thank you. So I note in your experience, small towns are better than citites, for this kind of living.
Oh yes, there is no question about it.Smaller towns in certain regions of America is the place to find a community spirit.But in my experience certain states have that spirit in abundance compared to others. Washington,North Carolina,Wisconsin are a few states that come to mind as being very friendly places. And the smaller the city the more likely you will know your neighbors on a personal level. The less transient the city residents are the more likely people will be friendly and welcoming. That might rule out towns known to be vacation spots,military towns or large cities with a fast pace of life. I hate to say this(because my brother doesn't like this point)but the northeast has a faster pace of life and many people there are less trusting and not as friendly. If I was looking for a friendly community feel, I would skip the northeast all together.Especially NY state,NJ,Conn, and much of New England.Too many people there have either lived near Ny city or the fast pace of the Tri-state area bigger cities. The mentality of the people in that region has more of a fast pace feel. When ever I say that to my brother,he tell me that friendliness is not everything.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jan 28th 2013 at 4:48 am.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm I don't know. Small places can be very insular and set in their ways. I wouldn't want to take a chance on a redneck town miles from anywhere.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:37 am
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

I can say that we have been pleasantly surprised by DC and we're now in our third year. The factors that make it work for us include:

1. Neighbours - everyone gets along very well; our children play with others in the alley. We have impromtu BBQ's / lunches / drinks all year round. "Communal" parenting when someone has a problem.

2. Type of people - a great mix of Americans and internationals with a general well-rounded view of life and interesting, diverse, perspectives

3. Ability to walk to schools/shops/restaurants/Metro

4. World class museums (Smithsonian) 25 mins away

5. Ability to use DCA (National airport) to get to most places in the US.

6. Proper seasons
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:53 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hmm I don't know. Small places can be very insular and set in their ways. I wouldn't want to take a chance on a redneck town miles from anywhere.
Good point.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It seems that many of the people who live in my town were born and bred here...or the immediate area. Lots of old money.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:57 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
OK, fine, I live in the middle of the stupid midwest where it's flat cornfields for 500 miles in every direction.
I recommend a trip up into SW Wisconsin. Head to Spring Green/Dodgeville direction (home of my favourite semi-local attraction The House On The Rock; as well as the Cave of the Mounds). Your son, if he's anything like mine will love those but, more importantly - there is some actual change in elevation. Far more interesting than flat, boring Illinois.

What the hell is with all these people who actually want to talk to their neighbours? Give them an inch and the freeloading bastards will be after a mile, making you help them with shit.

I kept to myself in the UK and continue that tradition here. F*** people
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Oh yes, there is no question about it.Smaller towns in certain regions of America is the place to find a community spirit.But in my experience certain states have that spirit in abundance compared to others. Washington,North Carolina,Wisconsin are a few states that come to mind as being very friendly places. And the smaller the city the more likely you will know your neighbors on a personal level. The less transient the city residents are the more likely people will be friendly and welcoming. That might rule out towns known to be vacation spots,military towns or large cities with a fast pace of life. I hate to say this(because my brother doesn't like this point)but the northeast has a faster pace of life and many people there are less trusting and not as friendly. If I was looking for a friendly community feel, I would skip the northeast all together.Especially NY state,NJ,Conn, and much of New England.Too many people there have either lived near Ny city or the fast pace of the Tri-state area bigger cities. The mentality of the people in that region has more of a fast pace feel. When ever I say that to my brother,he tell me that friendliness is not everything.
Great post, thank you, just the type of info I'm looking for! Please keep posting if you think of anything else or other areas

A warm community can make a HUGE difference to life quality. I have no doubt this applies to everyone, but especially to me and my daughter who are suddenly left with very few true people in our lives.

How long have you lived in the US? Where? Are you happy there? Don't have to answer, I'm nosy, I know!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IPM
I can say that we have been pleasantly surprised by DC and we're now in our third year. The factors that make it work for us include:

1. Neighbours - everyone gets along very well; our children play with others in the alley. We have impromtu BBQ's / lunches / drinks all year round. "Communal" parenting when someone has a problem.

2. Type of people - a great mix of Americans and internationals with a general well-rounded view of life and interesting, diverse, perspectives

3. Ability to walk to schools/shops/restaurants/Metro

4. World class museums (Smithsonian) 25 mins away

5. Ability to use DCA (National airport) to get to most places in the US.

6. Proper seasons
Sounds a great place to be! I've heard good things about DC from others too. The type of community/neighbours you describe is so lovely and something I've never managed to find in the UK.

Again, whilst people are very polite and lovely, it's a slightly cold environment - I want something different for my daughter. And, I think, for me too.

Would you say you were immediately welcomed as a Brit? Or have there been issues re feeling like an outsider or accent etc.?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It seems that many of the people who live in my town were born and bred here...or the immediate area. Lots of old money.
Old money you say? And lots of it?

Any takers for a lady with an English accent, a young daughter and a cautious interest in the US??

Kidding of-course!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
What the hell is with all these people who actually want to talk to their neighbours? Give them an inch and the freeloading bastards will be after a mile, making you help them with shit.

Lol. Now THIS did make me laugh!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:15 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I recommend a trip up into SW Wisconsin. Head to Spring Green/Dodgeville direction (home of my favourite semi-local attraction The House On The Rock; as well as the Cave of the Mounds). Your son, if he's anything like mine will love those but, more importantly - there is some actual change in elevation. Far more interesting than flat, boring Illinois.

I have been to Galena, which, although full of Civil War generals and theoretically interesting, has been made terminally touristy. Must try the Wisconsin bit.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:21 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
Lol. Now THIS did make me laugh!
I'm much happier in solitude than I am in multitude ...

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I have been to Galena, which, although full of Civil War generals and theoretically interesting, has been made terminally touristy. Must try the Wisconsin bit.
It's worth it. About a 3 hour drive for me, add an hour for you I guess - but once you get well up towards Madison, the scenery gets more interesting than you'd ever see in IL.

The House on the Rock is cool though; we plan to go back in June when my parents are out as they liked it last time as well. I have some photos at home I can send/post of that and the caves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.