Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Childhood games

Childhood games

Old May 10th 2012, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice
Default Re: Childhood games

Originally Posted by Primula
What are you saying: the American war in Vietnam was similar to Britain's troubles with the IRA?
Pretty much, insurgency is the Docrinal definition. Oxford English Dictionary second edition 1989 "insurgent B. n. One who rises in revolt against constituted authority; a rebel who is not recognized as a belligerent."

Maybe we stayed a little more current, than fighting the Germans or tribes in the empire.

My Brother in law would not call them "troubles" when he is getting shot at and bombed, just saying.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:06 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72

It's called tag here but did we call in in the UK? Chase? No sounds wrong...
We used to call it "tigs"
Old May 10th 2012, 2:17 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SATX John
a rebel who is not recognized as a belligerent.
What are you saying, that the IRA was not a belligerent force?
Old May 10th 2012, 2:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My Brother in law would not call them "troubles" when he is getting shot at and bombed, just saying.
How appropriate for an American to want to retain naming rights, given the amount of funding that came from this side of the pond...............
Old May 10th 2012, 2:24 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
How appropriate for an American to want to retain naming rights, given the amount of funding that came from this side of the pond...............
Ugh, it's disgusting how much money NORAID gave to the cause.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Ugh, it's disgusting how much money NORAID gave to the cause.
I think I said it was an insurgency, and they therefore were the same as other insurgents.

Please, read the post before condeming. And also cited it was a WAR, Not "troubles" like many cite.

"One who rises in revolt against constituted authority." did you forget that. look up belligerent it may surprise you.

Do not think for a minute I supprted the IRA, since My BiL fought them and was shot at and bombed by them.

Last edited by SATX John; May 10th 2012 at 2:32 am.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:30 am

Moving swiftly back on topic....

What was the game where one person called a subject (say dogs) then everyone else had to think of one and if the first person called it they won. Or lost. Or got shot or something...........

Or indoor games -

Sardines
Mystery Food
Pass the parcel
Musical chairs
Musical statues

Did a "proper" birthday party for my daughter when she was 3 (or was it 4) with all of those. They loved it. Now all her friends want to go to a ghastly place called Sugar and Spice where they get dressed up, made up like hookers and put on a fashion show...... How fast they "grow up"..
Old May 10th 2012, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

US Army vs. Viet Cong, hey it was an American thing then, similar I suppose to UK vs. IRA:

WAR.
We had the UK vs the Germans, and cowboys and Indians. We played what we watched on the films.

Now toddle off and go and play with your guns, I started this thread for a pleasant detour, not to hear you rant on about the same bull***t all the time.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:32 am
Banned

Not "troubles" like many cite.
The conflict in Northern Ireland is always referred to as The Troubles.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:33 am

Please, read the post before condeming. And also cited it was a WAR, Not "troubles" like many cite.

Wikipedia:

The Troubles (Irish: Na Trioblóidí) was a period of ethno-political[3][4][5][6][7] conflict in Northern Ireland which spilled over at various times into England, the Republic of Ireland, and mainland Europe. The duration of the Troubles is conventionally dated from the late 1960s and considered by many to have ended with the Belfast "Good Friday" Agreement of 1998.[8][9][10][11][12] However, sporadic violence has been ongoing since then.[9][13][14]

The principal issues at stake in the Troubles were the constitutional status of Northern Ireland and the relationship between the mainly Protestant unionist and mainly Catholic nationalist communities in Northern Ireland. The Troubles had both political and military (or paramilitary) dimensions. Its participants included republican and loyalist paramilitaries, the security forces of the United Kingdom and of the Republic of Ireland, and nationalist and unionist politicians and political activists.
Unquote

I stand by my original post.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:38 am
Banned

I loved board games. We played:

Ludo (I still love that game)
Snakes and Ladders
Monopoly
Cribbage (not a board game)
Old May 10th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The conflict in Northern Ireland is always referred to as The Troubles.
Concur, unless you lived there and fought there. Then you have different perspective.

Historically yes the "Troubles" is correct, but that minimizes what was happening on the ground, IMHO,and my relatives that were there.

And from Yorkshire, my BiL, did not think it was "Troubles" when he depoyed to Northern Ireland, to do missions perspective perhaps.

Last edited by SATX John; May 10th 2012 at 2:57 am.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:40 am

Kick the can
Beetle
Mancala
Killer (ouch!)
Old May 10th 2012, 2:42 am

Concur, unless you lived there and fought there. Then you have different perspective.

Historically yes the "Troubles" is correct, but that minimizes what was happening on the ground, IMHO,and my relatives that were there.
You really are using the wrong thread if you want to play "my dicks bigger than yours" over the last 30-40 years of the 20th century in the UK. And whatever thread you choose to do it in, trust me, your weiner is going to pale in comparison to some on this forum.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I loved board games. We played:

Ludo (I still love that game)
Snakes and Ladders
Monopoly
Cribbage (not a board game)
I was addicted to Ludo! My grandad liked cribbage but he was very serious about his card games and it was too scary to play with him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.