Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which car would you choose?

Which car would you choose?

Old May 30th 2017, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which car would you choose?

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
What's not legal? ....
Using fog lights for rain. The offence would be dazzling other road users with your lights, which is IME inevitable if you use fog lights when it is only raining.
.... The Highway Code says: you should only use your fog lamps when the visibility drops below 100m. ....
I have never seen rain in the UK that reduced visibility below 100m, and I am not sure if I have in US either despite driving most years in rain which is massively heavier than any rain I ever saw in the UK!
.... If you're not sure when that is, a good rule of thumb is to work out whether you can see the tail lights of the car in front of you. If you can't, you (and they) should probably be using rear fog lamps. ....
A better rule of thumb is to not use rear fog lights if you can see the (headlights of the) vehicle behind you because you can be dämn sure they can see you!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 30th 2017 at 3:02 pm.
Old May 30th 2017, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Using fog lights for rain.
I have never seen rain in the UK that reduced visibility below 100m, and I am not sure if I have in US either despite driving most years in rain which is massively heavier than any rain I ever saw in the UK!

A better rule of thumb is to not use rear fog lights if you can see the (headlights of the) vehicle behind you because you can be dämn sure they can see you!
Have to agree to disagree on this. I think spray on the motorway in heavy rain significantly reduces visibility and I also think what I was doing was pretty standard practice. I understand glare is a potential factor, but I never felt it from other cars and would be surprised if my lights were a problem. Plenty of traffic cops on M4 and I've never been pulled for it and I'm actually shocked it could be considered antisocial. You live and learn.
Old May 30th 2017, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surreyguy24
Thanks for the reply!

So in summary you're happy with the Buick? It certainly felt more roomy than the Mazda or Kia. Liked the captain seats in the back too.

What sort of price did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Yes, am happy with it. Think I paid around 22K - I wanted to check exactly in case my memory is a bit off but I can't log into my banking app right now. Had a few more miles on the clock and was a year older than yours, but lots of bells and whistles.
Old May 31st 2017, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Volvo XC90.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Pintage is an unknown quantity at this point

I just found a 2014 INFINITI QX60 FWD for $24K with under 40K on the clock.

I would shop around and test drive as many different ones as you can until one feel right.

But then I drive a pick me up truck so what do I know!
Old Jun 1st 2017, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Surreyguy24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pintage

I would shop around and test drive as many different ones as you can until one feel right.

Wow where did you find that??? Have you bought it or can I?
Old Jun 1st 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pintage

That's a nice car and sounds like a good price compared to what I saw at Carmax when I was shopping. I decided I liked captain seats as a way to access 3rd row, which the Infiniti didnt have, but they are nonetheless lovely cars IMO.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

$24 for a Datsun? Not for me!
Old Jun 1st 2017, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Pintage is an unknown quantity at this point

Cars for Sale: Used 2014 INFINITI QX60 FWD for sale in Peachtree Corners, GA 30071: Sport Utility Details - 450084559 - Autotrader
hope this works.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 3:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesten
Have to agree to disagree on this. I think spray on the motorway in heavy rain significantly reduces visibility and I also think what I was doing was pretty standard practice. .....
I only ever saw it done by a small minority of **** *****.
I understand glare is a potential factor, but I never felt it from other cars and would be surprised if my lights were a problem. ....
Be surprised! Your perception and your eyes are totally personal, so you have no idea how unpleasant fog lights are to other people when used in only moderately poor visibility i.e. in rain. Personally I hope there is a special place in hell reserved for people who don't know when to use their fog lights.
.... Plenty of traffic cops on M4 and I've never been pulled for it ....
If I was a cop and it was pi§§ïng down I probably wouldn't want to get out of my car to ticket someone either.
..... and I'm actually shocked it could be considered antisocial. You live and learn.
I can only hope. Please spread the word.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
.... in only moderately poor visibility i.e. in rain. Personally I hope there is a special place in hell reserved for people who don't know when to use their fog lights.
Now you are just being thoroughly unpleasant and I feel provoked.

I am categorically NOT talking about moderately poor visibility. I'm describing torrential rain on a motorway compounded by spray from HGVs and traffic much of it going too fast for the conditions. I can't see vehicles in front. I dont want to get rear ended. Some of my driving is with extremely precious cargo on the rear seats. I think you presume conditions which are different to what I was describing.

Anyway, I shouldn't let myself become defensive and this is a sideshow to the OPs original question.

Over and out.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 3:57 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Moot point for me for a few reasons...
1. I don't have fog lights
2. I do my level best to NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER, NEVER drive in the rain on Texas roads. Occasional torrential rain in an otherwise sunny state means very slippery concrete highways and combine this with a population that doesn't have the foggiest (sorry!!) on how to drive in the rain means it is very dangerous to be on the roads. The rain starts and I can hear the sirens start almost immediately from the fire engine/ambulance place about 2 miles away.

I also got stuck out in a hailstorm the other week with hailstones about the size of very large marbles. It was terrifying. My windscreen has a few chips and I have a couple of dents on the bonnet and roof - and I managed to stop and get under a tree.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chesten
Now you are just being thoroughly unpleasant and I feel provoked. ....
Sorry.
..... I am categorically NOT talking about moderately poor visibility. I'm describing torrential rain on a motorway compounded by spray from HGVs and traffic much of it going too fast for the conditions. I can't see vehicles in front. I dont want to get rear ended. Some of my driving is with extremely precious cargo on the rear seats. I think you presume conditions which are different to what I was describing. .....
I have never seen spray that bad in the UK, not even close. I have seen rain in the US immeasurably heavier than any rain I ever saw in the UK, and US HGVs don't have spray-reducing mud flaps, and I still haven't seen conditions bad enough that I would use fog lights.

All that said, as I have said a number of times about bad weather on the interstates, or motorways, if you are that scared about conditions, your ability to handle them, the safety of your "cargo", and the ability or behaviour of other drivers, then you should pull off the road and wait for conditions to improve. .... US drivers who think that it is OK in heavy rain on the interstate to slow to 30mph and put on their hazard lights and obstruct the fast lane also deserve a place I hell!