Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Got Visa - Credit Rating in the US!

Got Visa - Credit Rating in the US!

Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

daveyboy1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got Visa - Credit Rating in the US!

Hi, me and my wife has just been accepted for our 01 Visa application which is great news!

A friend of mine who moved to the US said he had problems with getting a car, flat, etc, because he had no credit rating in the US when they moved over. He said we should get a AMEX Card in the UK to help with our credit rating for when we move over in a couple of months. However, I've read that without a Social Security Number you can't get a credit rating in the US without being there first.

Is this true? Is there a way that we can give ourselves a better chance of getting good deals on a car, other things etc, when we move over, or do we have to start from scratch?

Thanks
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got Visa - Credit Rating in the US!

Contact International Autosource for a car(s). So long as you have a job to go to they will finance on "standard US credit terms" a car purchase. It might seem to good to be true, but I used them myself, and they are totally legit - in fact their main business is selling cars to US servicemen. You will be required to sign the contract and pay a deposit before you arrive in the US.

Getting an Amex card won't help unless you have had it, I hear, for 3 months (it used to be 12 months, or close to), but even then it would only help you get an Amex card, it doesn't directly bump up your US credit history.

Your credit rating is indexed to your SSN, so it is true, you cannot accumulate any US credit history until you have an SSN, which you get a few days after you arrive.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 5th 2016 at 4:29 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:02 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Getting an Amex card won't help unless you have had it for 12 months, or close to.
Its 3 months in good standing now, they will use your UK account history to open an american account but you need SS number

https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...ed-states.html
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:15 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi just chipping in here as I've done something similar to your friend.

I had an AMEX in the UK since 2011 before I had any intentions of moving to the US, I threw everything I could onto the card and paid it off at the end of the month to build up my credit score.

Moving to the U.S, AMEX will transfer you to a US card so long as your provide them with your SSN, US address, US Bank account and ITIN in advance - be aware it *doesn't* impact your US credit score/history.

- Long story short, AMEX will trust you to give you a card, its then over to you to build your history up in a new country (so throwing everything on it and paying it off again). This is an important step as you're likely to be declined even a bank credit card being a new customer/to the country.

Capital One also offer 0 credit history credit cards to help your score here, low limits - but also help build up your history. I've never used them though so can't comment on service.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

daveyboy1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this. Really appreciate your insights.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

michaeldc is an unknown quantity at this point

Chipping in... 6 months before I moved out to CA I had a good idea that the move was a possibility so I planned ahead in case it happened and I'm really happy I did. I applied for an got a UK AMEX card, used it for 5/6 months ensuring I paid it off fully each month and had a zero balance the week before I moved to the states. Once here I collected everything I needed (bank account, SSN, ID, tenancy agreement and whatever else I could get - don't recall getting the ITIN but probably did) and rang US AMEX up asking about their global card transfer program. I did this within 10 days but it could take a 2-3 weeks for an SSN to come through.

They asked me the usual information and I think I had to scan and email some ID to them (passport/visa and drivers license) but within a week I had the new card in the mail with a $2k limit. Easy as pie and I had a proper line of credit in a country where I couldn't even get a mobile phone contract. 4 months in and my credit is soaring up close to 700 - I might actually be able to get that mobile phone contract now!

Without this card I would have had to ask my bank for a secured credit card which is garbage. You give them $500 that they put to one side and you get a $500 limit card. Use it very wisely (about 30% of the limit) each month and pay it off on time and then if you're lucky, after 6 months you might get a real credit card with the same bank and your $500 back, though as I understand it, your credit score will still be quite poor at that point.
Old May 31st 2017, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

MrGlasgow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michaeldc
Chipping in... 6 months before I moved out to CA I had a good idea that the move was a possibility so I planned ahead in case it happened and I'm really happy I did. I applied for an got a UK AMEX card, used it for 5/6 months ensuring I paid it off fully each month and had a zero balance the week before I moved to the states. Once here I collected everything I needed (bank account, SSN, ID, tenancy agreement and whatever else I could get - don't recall getting the ITIN but probably did) and rang US AMEX up asking about their global card transfer program. I did this within 10 days but it could take a 2-3 weeks for an SSN to come through.

They asked me the usual information and I think I had to scan and email some ID to them (passport/visa and drivers license) but within a week I had the new card in the mail with a $2k limit. Easy as pie and I had a proper line of credit in a country where I couldn't even get a mobile phone contract. 4 months in and my credit is soaring up close to 700 - I might actually be able to get that mobile phone contract now!

Without this card I would have had to ask my bank for a secured credit card which is garbage. You give them $500 that they put to one side and you get a $500 limit card. Use it very wisely (about 30% of the limit) each month and pay it off on time and then if you're lucky, after 6 months you might get a real credit card with the same bank and your $500 back, though as I understand it, your credit score will still be quite poor at that point.
I tried online, but as expected, I was denied. May I ask which number did you call to get connected to the Global Card Transfer Team, please?
Old May 31st 2017, 12:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrGlasgow
I tried online, but as expected, I was denied. May I ask which number did you call to get connected to the Global Card Transfer Team, please?
Is Google broken?
Old May 31st 2017, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Used the number on their website, but someone from their Indian Amex Customer Service was not helpful at all. Not sure if she has any idea about Global Transfer. Anyways, I got another number from the wiki page, will try.
Old May 31st 2017, 1:29 pm

Used the number on their website, but someone from their Indian Amex Customer Service was not helpful at all. Not sure if she has any idea about Global Transfer. Anyways, I got another number from the wiki page, will try.
The link in my post (#8 above) is directly to the Amex Global Transfer web site.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 31st 2017 at 1:47 pm.
Old May 31st 2017, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

The link in my post (#8 above) is directly to the Amex Global Transfer web site.
Yes, I used that website, but was denied, so wanted to call and check, then I used the number mentioned there, got connected to someone who probably doesn't like her job.
Old May 31st 2017, 2:38 pm

Yes, I used that website, but was denied, so wanted to call and check, then I used the number mentioned there, got connected to someone who probably doesn't like her job.
Well that sucks!
Old Jun 1st 2017, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of people in the US who come new and are able to get an apartment. You need to tell the agency that you are new and have a job and give your employer contact. They would call and check to verify your employment. If every new migrant needed credit rating to get an apartment, most of the H1b people (65000+) will be living in the streets. That is not accurate.

In terms of car loan, yes you might face an issue as the bank would need to do a credit check to approve your loan and yes you need to be there to build a credit history in the US. Some people buy a cheaper car to start off and get the utilities (Gas, Electric, water) on their name and timely payments build credit history. Also when you open an account with a bank and start getting your salary direct deposited, you can talk to the bank to give you a credit card, it might just be $500 limit but you should be able to get it.

I am totally basing all the above on my experience of living in different states in the US for over 14 years. It is not as difficult as people make it seem. US has the most migrants coming in every year, most of them are new and they do not come to US with a AMEX credit card.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by giri26
There are lots of people in the US who come new and are able to get an apartment. You need to tell the agency that you are new and have a job and give your employer contact. They would call and check to verify your employment. If every new migrant needed credit rating to get an apartment, most of the H1b people (65000+) will be living in the streets. That is not accurate.

In terms of car loan, yes you might face an issue as the bank would need to do a credit check to approve your loan and yes you need to be there to build a credit history in the US. Some people buy a cheaper car to start off and get the utilities (Gas, Electric, water) on their name and timely payments build credit history. Also when you open an account with a bank and start getting your salary direct deposited, you can talk to the bank to give you a credit card, it might just be $500 limit but you should be able to get it.

I am totally basing all the above on my experience of living in different states in the US for over 14 years. It is not as difficult as people make it seem. US has the most migrants coming in every year, most of them are new and they do not come to US with a AMEX credit card.
A lot of the people on BE are coming on spouse visas, so with no job or a low paid job at least to start with. I agree if you're coming in on a H-1B, L-1, O-1, etc. the situation is quite different.

I was in a hybrid situation, on a spouse visa but with a career-grade job lined up, which started six days after I arrived, and had very few problems. I also took my own advice and rented an apartment from a private landlord, with no issues and without a massive deposit.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the people on BE are coming on spouse visas, so with no job or a low paid job at least to start with. I agree if you're coming in on a H-1B, L-1, O-1, etc. the situation is quite different.

I was in a hybrid situation, on a spouse visa but with a career-grade job lined up, which started six days after I arrived, and had very few problems. I also took my own advice and rented an apartment from a private landlord, with no issues and without a massive deposit.
I understand but I would assume if you are coming on spouse visa, you are coming to join your spouse right or you are joining your spouse who is already having a job? I don't see why someone coming on a spouse visa would need a separate flat or car as soon as they land in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.