Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Liability limits

Car Insurance Liability limits

Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car Insurance Liability limits

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Thing is though, from 300k to 1m isn't much of a difference. If somebody easily rings up 300k of health care then it's not going to take much extra farting to get the bill to top 1m. So go for 2m... except for when that isn't enough. Where do you stop?!
Agree. In my case the extra coverage came for free, after I asked for it. Maybe this helps someone in some situation. But you're right, if you cause an accident incurring bodily injury things will get very bad.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:18 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chuckles67
Sorry - I missed what the $1 liability umbrella is. Is this a policy coverage item you would ask from car insurance company?
No, this would be on your house policy.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
No, this would be on your house policy.
You can buy an umbrella policy from anyone. Some will insist that your car and/or house policy (if any) is also with them. Mine is with my car insurer.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:56 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You can buy an umbrella policy from anyone. Some will insist that your car and/or house policy (if any) is also with them. Mine is with my car insurer.
Ah okay, thanks for that. I had assumed it could only be on your house policy as a general cover all.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Thing is though, from 300k to 1m isn't much of a difference. If somebody easily rings up 300k of health care then it's not going to take much extra farting to get the bill to top 1m. So go for 2m... except for when that isn't enough. Where do you stop?!
The rubric of YMMV applies in this discussion.

As a practical matter, a person has to consider if they are what us legal types call "judgement proof."

If one does not have substantial asset exposure and gets into an accident, the plaintiff's attorney will simply not go after the person without insurance or will settle for policy limits for "underinusred."

This does not take into account "subrogation" if the victim collects against their "uninsured motorists."

FWIW, we have assets in a long owned appreciated home and inheritances. So, we carry auto, homeowners and an umbrella with the same company. [It can be spread out among other companies. Our earthquake used to be with an independent carrier which stopped offering the policy so we are now with CEQA via our regular carrier.] We obtain a discount with both HO and auto with the same company.

Having the umbrella actually allowed us to get by with lower liability with the auto than we would have otherwise carried. It also turned out to be more coverage for less money. Go figure.

We do carry "UM" un-insured motorists -- most people who carry this have it for lower amount than their own liability limits. Ours matches our liability limits. California has a fairly high number of non-citizens who are not authorized to be in the US. In an effort to battle "illegal immigration" the law prevents such drivers from obtaining licenses, registering cars and comcomitantly from obtaining liability insurance. I personally find it perverse that this policy is done by increasing the risk to all residents of California, but I digress. [BTW, there is a market for clunkers which have 11 months left on their tags. The cars are then abandoned when the tags expire. Again, this is encouraged by the state of California.]

Also, we do not carry "med pay." The premium saved is not all that much, but the coverage would be quite minimal. We have good health coverage. Our passengers will have their own health insurance, or ability to collect from the other guys insurance, our UM coverage, or if it is our fault from our liability. I do not care to pay for a minimal payout that pretty much duplicates other coverage.

On collision and comprehensive coverage, that is governed by the age and value of the car. [It also can be influenced by the repair record of that model]. Higher deductibles cut down a lot on the premium.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

sergeyvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bink
So, I've searched and couldn't see this discussion anywhere...

What do you guys have in terms of liability cover for your car insurance? I had a scary conversation today where I was told I should have $1,000,000+
It worth making, especially taking into account that the monthly premium will increase just ~$10 for $100's --> $1M jump.
This is not only for the financial coverage, but for extra care from the insurance company. If you have a $30k limit and someone claims $200k, it might be cheaper for the insurance company to pay this money than to appeal in the court or hire a lawyer. The rest will be yours.