Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from the uk

Moving from the uk

Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

scotty91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from the uk

Im moving to North Carolina form the U.K I have dual citizenship and im fed up of britain having lived here most of my life! I want to do my BLET training and try become a cop whilst playing soccer at a high standard. I have no famiy or freinds in NC but it is by far the best state I have visited when I have been in the USA .. Can anyone let me know how I go about renting a house and car/buying one? Im 21 will be 22 by the time I move in January I have 4 years no claims in Britain driving, I understand that wont count for alot over in the states.. is it worth while transcribing my qualifications aswell? Any other advice would be most welcomed
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the uk

Youll need sizable savings, since having no credit history in the US will mean having to pay up front or putting down large deposits for everything from renting to utility bills and car payments. You can drive on your UK license for a period (depends on the state how long this is) but must take the NC driving test before this expires. There is no guarantee anyone will insure you on a foreign license though, and if they do you may well pay a massive premium.

Most applicants for positions in law enforcement have degrees in criminology related subjects, it would be worth getting your qualifications transcribed. You should be aware that in many states they are laying off law enforcements officers due to poor state/county finances - perhaps best to make this a long term goal depending on the situation in your area.

Obviously the key thing to get as a soon as possible (if you don't have one already) is a social security number.

Last edited by civilservant; Jul 28th 2012 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotty91
Im moving to North Carolina form the U.K I have dual citizenship and im fed up of britain having lived here most of my life! I want to do my BLET training and try become a cop whilst playing soccer at a high standard. I have no famiy or freinds in NC but it is by far the best state I have visited when I have been in the USA .. Can anyone let me know how I go about renting a house and car/buying one? Im 21 will be 22 by the time I move in January I have 4 years no claims in Britain driving, I understand that wont count for alot over in the states.. is it worth while transcribing my qualifications aswell? Any other advice would be most welcomed
What will you do for health insurance in the USA?

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

Also, you are of the age where you must register for "the draft" with selective service. If you are earning an income, you need to file your US taxes (you may not earn enough, but US citizens are taxed on worldwide income even if you never set foot on US soil). Best wishes to you in your future.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

scotty91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice so far! I will be taking about $18k will that be enough? I was considering waketech college and studying but again accomodation is an issue and transport! I already have a ss number I just need to activate it... Health insurance is sorted under a plan I have .. Also im semi-pro at soccer but I need to get spotted/scouted and I think I may have a good crack at a getting a scholarship but again its getting noticed.. Is this all realistic or am I to fixed on the american dream?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I already have a ss number I just need to activate it...
There's no "activation" of a SSN. If you already have one, that's all you need.

Health insurance is sorted under a plan I have ..
Not trying to be nosey, but you have US health insurance while living in the UK? Why?

.. Is this all realistic or am I to fixed on the american dream?
You are already a USC, which puts you way ahead of most people posting here wanting to move to the USA. I'm sure it's doable, just takes some time and money.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice so far! I will be taking about $18k will that be enough? I was considering waketech college and studying but again accomodation is an issue and transport! I already have a ss number I just need to activate it... Health insurance is sorted under a plan I have .. Also im semi-pro at soccer but I need to get spotted/scouted and I think I may have a good crack at a getting a scholarship but again its getting noticed.. Is this all realistic or am I to fixed on the american dream?
With that much in the bank I hope you've been filing FBAR. All accounts totalling $10K+ must be reported annually.

How do you mean health insurance is sorted under an existing plan? It may only cover you whilst in the US on holiday...or it may only provide cover whilst you are a UK resident. Sorry we are repeating ourselves re healthcare insurance...but it is a huge issue for people moving to the US.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Moving from the uk

I have no famiy or freinds in NC but it is by far the best state I have visited when I have been in the USA

What other States have you been to and why is NC better than the others?

Jim.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

whilst playing soccer at a high standard.
best not move to the US then.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
best not move to the US then.
If he's semi-pro in the UK he should just about make it in MLS
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
If he's semi-pro in the UK he should just about make it in MLS
He will stand out way above the normal MLS standard. Wont do him much good if he's hoping to get scouted by a decent club back home.

Last edited by lansbury; Jul 28th 2012 at 7:30 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Im moving to North Carolina form the U.K I have dual citizenship and im fed up of britain having lived here most of my life! I want to do my BLET training and try become a cop whilst playing soccer at a high standard. I have no famiy or freinds in NC but it is by far the best state I have visited when I have been in the USA.
If you want to try out living in the USA, then go ahead once you've resolved health insurance and other financial issues (you're a U.S. citizen). But whether you move or not, you absolutely have to register with Selective Service (assuming you are male). It will cause you problems if you do not. http://www.sss.gov

You also need to make sure you are up to date on your U.S. tax filing and FBAR reporting. If you haven't filed the necessary forms, do so now. Again - irrespective of whether you choose to move to the U.S. or not.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:25 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion would be to find what are known as "corporate apartments"--basically like a hotel situation but for people to rent on a weekly or monthly basis. Everything is furnished, you'll have a kitchen, and you can book it without worrying about credit checks / etc. This will give you a 'base of operations' from which you can start the process of opening a US bank account and finding more long term rental.

If corporate apartments are few and far between, take a look at airbnb.com and see if you can rent a room for a few days upon arrival and then undertake the necessary steps toward finding a bank account and full-time house.

You can get a US bank account in about 30 minutes or so, but they will ask you for proof of address usually which might be a bit tricky.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Big wedge of cash, if you're not coming over with a job, figure first, last plus anything up to 3 months rent for deposit on signing as you don't have US credit and then a few grand deposit on getting a car, plus anything from $50-600 up front deposit per each utility.

Start up costs, will you have enough? I don't know what the rents are in NC...also college probably wants money up front and then medical insurance...
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Carolina Railhawks are a pro soccer team in N Carolina. You might want to get in touch with them
NASL (tier 2) not MLS

There are also two teams in NC in the third tired USL
Wilmington Hammerheads and Charlotte Eagles

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 29th 2012 at 6:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.