Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Liability limits

Car Insurance Liability limits

Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:45 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance Liability limits

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The rest of the face will stay rock-solid though
They won't even be able to frown at you to show their displeasure at you rear ending them
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
They won't even be able to frown at you to show their displeasure at you rear ending them
You set me off googling facelifts.

Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:49 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

It made me go look at mine and it's only 25k/50k. The highest option I have is 250k. I guess it's a case of making sure I kill anyone I hit outright to avoid medical costs. Having said that most people around here don't have car insurance so hit and run, I have a dent in my car to prove it.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Is this not where umbrella insurance comes into play?
Yes. If you have car insurance with the same provider, an umbrella policy is relatively cheap.

Geico, in CA at least, offers liability coverage up to $1m.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a 2mill umbrella for just under 300/yr. Seemed reasonable. The 1mill was about 240.

We used to have 500k on the auto, but wife has just started a contract with a multinational, and because she will be parking her car in their garage, they insisted she upped it to 1mill (they weren't interested in our umbrella). The increase only cost $10 per 6 month billing period, which makes me wonder why the hell we didn't do it in the first place......
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

mhynne is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got this quote from AIG

Bodily Injury $500/1,000,000 ** Per Person/Per Accident
Property Damage $200,000 Each Accident
Medical Payments $100,000
Uninsured Motorist BI $500/1,000,000 Per person/Accident
Other than Collision $500 Deductible
Collision $500 Deductible w/ waiver
Towing & Labor $75.00 Per Disablement
Extended Transportation $50 Per Day / Maximum $1,500

the price just went up from 734 to 802 dollars for 6 months on a 2013 ford Escape. Thanks for the heads up with this! I wouldve gone for the 300k liability if it werent for this thread.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:17 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Just a side... getting these quotes from AIG as you are, did you have to sign up for their inbound programme or are they just regular quotes?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

mhynne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lj2
Just a side... getting these quotes from AIG as you are, did you have to sign up for their inbound programme or are they just regular quotes?
I havent signed up with them yet but will possibly do. As for now these are regular quotes. But in order to get buy the insurance, you have to sign up first. Even if I add up the sign up fee on top of the quote it comes to just the same quote as the others. And Im assuming I can also get a good price for the renters fee etc.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Its definitely not the norm (at least in our area) to carry a $1mil liability on car insurance. The minimum is $50k/$100k, but we have the $100k/$300k. We had an umbrella policy when we owned our home, but that was for just in case someone fell and broke their leg or something while at our house.

From what I was told by my local Farm Bureau, you couldn't have an umbrella policy if you didn't own a home. I'm going to have to do some digging on this, as I'd really like to know if we are under-insured.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

In 2010 on arrival in USA I insured using 21st Century Insurance. They offered me a "Good Driver Discount" or GDD with only verbal proof of driving history for me and my wife. The small print says it is "at least 20% off the normal premium".

The insurance premium cost was around 650USD for an SUV in silicon valley for a normal work commute. I assumed this would be the annual cost, like UK where I had always paid annually, so I thought I had a real bargain. When a new bill arrived six months later, I realized not quite so

The initial policy had bodily injury liability limits of 100K per person/300K per accident, same for uninsured motorist bodily injury. I believe these are the minimum under California state law. I was concerned these were too low with US medical insurance costs as they are. I called the insurer and asked if they could increase the coverage. They offered 500k/1M at no additional premium cost: well worth checking! This is our current coverage, and premium has discounted to 550usd every six months. For my location and coverage, I doubt it's possible to go much cheaper.

I agree with another poster that if you do cause an accident incurring serious 3rd party bodily injury then most likely you will get financially screwed. 500k per person/1M per accident is not going to be sufficient against the ridiculous cost of health care in the USA. Personal bankruptcy is quite possible.

Last edited by chuckles67; Jul 25th 2012 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chuckles67
The initial policy had bodily injury liability limits of 100K per person/300K per accident, same for uninsured motorist bodily injury. I believe these are the minimum under California state law. I was concerned these were too low with US medical insurance costs as they are. I called the insurer and asked if they could increase the coverage. They offered 500k/1M at no additional premium cost: well worth checking!...
It's annoying that they wouldn't just offer those limits in the first place isn't it.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

liability insurance is pretty cheap all things considered.

100/300 seems to be the industry norm.

If you want $1m coverage, go with 250/500 and then just get a $1 liability umbrella, as the umbrella will cover more than just car.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chuckles67
The initial policy had bodily injury liability limits of 100K per person/300K per accident, same for uninsured motorist bodily injury. I believe these are the minimum under California state law.
CA state minimum is 15k/30k/5k
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is though, from 300k to 1m isn't much of a difference. If somebody easily rings up 300k of health care then it's not going to take much extra farting to get the bill to top 1m. So go for 2m... except for when that isn't enough. Where do you stop?!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
liability insurance is pretty cheap all things considered.

100/300 seems to be the industry norm.

If you want $1m coverage, go with 250/500 and then just get a $1 liability umbrella, as the umbrella will cover more than just car.
Sorry - I missed what the $1 liability umbrella is. Is this a policy coverage item you would ask from car insurance company?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.