Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Gym Membership

Cancelling Gym Membership

Old Jul 14th 2006, 3:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelling Gym Membership

A fine quality company ...........

http://www.complaints.com/september2...ember18.28.htm

http://www.complaints.com/directory/2005/june/22/48.htm

eight here
http://www.ripoffreport.com/results....&Search=Search

http://www.thesqueakywheel.com/compl...plaint9011.cfm
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rompers
I have just had the following conversation with a rep from National Fitness Financial Systems.

Me: I'm moving back to the UK and I'd like to cancel my gym membership
Rep: You need to send us proof you are moving more than 25 miles away
Me: What do you need?
Rep: Something with your name and your new address on it
Me: I don't have anything I haven't got there yet
Rep: Or a signed affidavit from a lawyer
Me: I'm not hiring a lawyer to cancel my gym membership
Rep: Then you can't cancel
Me: OK. Well I'm closing my US bank account when I move so you will be trying to bill a non-existent account
Rep: After 30 days we will notify our collections agency
Me: Do you think they are going to find me? Do you think they have jurisdiction in the UK? are you going to extradite me for a $40 membership fee?
Rep: I cannot go into their procedures, sir
Me: Goodbye.

Yea.. I ended up paying an extra month last year when cancelling.. this was after trying to cancel over the phone but they insisted that I go in and cancel. When I went in they wanted to know why I was cancelling... I pointed out that I was 8 months pregnant and had not used it for many months. At this point they said that I should still be using the gym ... I bit my tongue and said nothing (I realise I should have been but it was none of their friggin business!). They then pointed out that I could cancel if i signed but I would be charged another month per our agreement. What agreement?? It turns out that I needed to give them like 6 weeks notice of cancelling to get out of it without any damage either to my pride or my finances!! I was sooo mad that I just walked out, only to go home, read the agreement (which I had agreed to) and then go back to sign the new agreement to cancel everything!!

So.. next gym, which I was already a member of at the same time and the one of the reasons for not attending the first gym. I at this point made sure that I was not going to be in the same predicament with this gym.. answer was 'no... you will be fine'. I had my membership 'on hold' for 6 months whilst pregnant but was paid up for 9 months which was their policy... I eventually got to the doors of my gym some months after having my baby only to find that they had gone bust!!! They got at least 6 months worth of money out of me!!!!!!

Bitches!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:53 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jobyone1
Yea.. I ended up paying an extra month last year when cancelling.. this was after trying to cancel over the phone but they insisted that I go in and cancel. When I went in they wanted to know why I was cancelling... I pointed out that I was 8 months pregnant and had not used it for many months. At this point they said that I should still be using the gym ... I bit my tongue and said nothing (I realise I should have been but it was none of their friggin business!). They then pointed out that I could cancel if i signed but I would be charged another month per our agreement. What agreement?? It turns out that I needed to give them like 6 weeks notice of cancelling to get out of it without any damage either to my pride or my finances!! I was sooo mad that I just walked out, only to go home, read the agreement (which I had agreed to) and then go back to sign the new agreement to cancel everything!!

So.. next gym, which I was already a member of at the same time and the one of the reasons for not attending the first gym. I at this point made sure that I was not going to be in the same predicament with this gym.. answer was 'no... you will be fine'. I had my membership 'on hold' for 6 months whilst pregnant but was paid up for 9 months which was their policy... I eventually got to the doors of my gym some months after having my baby only to find that they had gone bust!!! They got at least 6 months worth of money out of me!!!!!!

Bitches!
Buy a BOWFLEX
Old Jul 15th 2006, 4:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Buy a BOWFLEX

I've got a load of exercise equipment....comes in handy for hanging the washing on.