British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cancelling Gym Membership (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cancelling-gym-membership-384826/)

Rompers Jul 13th 2006 10:19 pm

Cancelling Gym Membership

I have just had the following conversation with a rep from National Fitness Financial Systems.

Me: I'm moving back to the UK and I'd like to cancel my gym membership
Rep: You need to send us proof you are moving more than 25 miles away
Me: What do you need?
Rep: Something with your name and your new address on it
Me: I don't have anything I haven't got there yet
Rep: Or a signed affidavit from a lawyer
Me: I'm not hiring a lawyer to cancel my gym membership
Rep: Then you can't cancel
Me: OK. Well I'm closing my US bank account when I move so you will be trying to bill a non-existent account
Rep: After 30 days we will notify our collections agency
Me: Do you think they are going to find me? Do you think they have jurisdiction in the UK? are you going to extradite me for a $40 membership fee?
Rep: I cannot go into their procedures, sir
Me: Goodbye.

:rolleyes:

Elvira Jul 13th 2006 10:26 pm

Re: Cancelling Gym Membership

Originally Posted by Rompers
I have just had the following conversation with a rep from National Fitness Financial Systems.

Me: OK. Well I'm closing my US bank account when I move so you will be trying to bill a non-existent account
Me: Do you think they are going to find me? Do you think they have jurisdiction in the UK? are you going to extradite me for a $40 membership fee?

Eh.... but you're not moving back to the UK are you? :D

Or are you? :confused:

Why didn't anyone tell me?

Kate2112 Jul 13th 2006 10:29 pm

I hope you realise the mess this make of your US credit!!!!!!!! :D Are you coming back to the US or staying in Blighty for the longer term? Just curious (I also want to finagle your new address and tell aforementioned collection agency where you are so I can get a free gym membership :p I have a cunning plan your honour)

Rompers Jul 13th 2006 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
I hope you realise the mess this make of your US credit!!!!!!!! :D Are you coming back to the US or staying in Blighty for the longer term? Just curious (I also want to finagle your new address and tell aforementioned collection agency where you are so I can get a free gym membership :p I have a cunning plan your honour)

Back to the UK for good :D

I will be telling the gym to send all future bills to "Kate2112" in Seattle. They will have about as much luck finding you there as they will me back in Blighty.

Elvira Jul 13th 2006 10:34 pm

What - you don't like it here? :confused:

Kate2112 Jul 13th 2006 10:35 pm

I will be telling the gym to send all future bills to "Kate2112" in Seattle. They will have about as much luck finding you there as they will me back in Blighty.

Bugger Bognor :D We'll miss you ...wheres the icon for boo hoo sob :)

Rompers Jul 13th 2006 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
What - you don't like it here? :confused:

It was always intended as a temporary assignment. I've had a great time but now I'm looking forward to going back.

Rompers Jul 13th 2006 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Bugger Bognor :D We'll miss you ...wheres the icon for boo hoo sob :)

I'm not going for a while. I started on cancelling the gym membership early as I had a feeling it was going to be a pain in the arse.

Jerseygirl Jul 13th 2006 10:40 pm

I had noticed a few of your posts...cunningly placed here and there...saying you were escaping.

Unbelievable response to cancelling a freakin' gym membership. When my husband tries to book his car in for service its always 'what is the name of your service co-ordinator' he replies 'FFS I just want to book my car in for service not have a relationship'. :rolleyes:

Kate2112 Jul 13th 2006 10:43 pm

I'm not going for a while. I started on cancelling the gym membership early as I had a feeling it was going to be a pain in the arse.

Even in the UK it is a complete mare to cancel the gym membership..they act like yeah sure your moving (we know its cos your fat flabby thighs cant take the punishment) :D
Before taking up the blasted thing in UK...check out the cancelling procedure see if I'm wrong lol :)

kits Jul 13th 2006 11:48 pm

We used to be mem. of Bally fitness in Houston. We want to cancel because we end up paying but not using the gym. Only option is to cancel. Hubby wrote a letter, send it to the UK for his family to send it to Bally. At the end we end up getting a refund. By that time we also moved house still within 25 miles.

Sometimes we have to think to bet their stupid system.

Jerseygirl Jul 13th 2006 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by kits
We used to be mem. of Bally fitness in Houston. We want to cancel because we end up paying but not using the gym. Only option is to cancel. Hubby wrote a letter, send it to the UK for his family to send it to Bally. At the end we end up getting a refund. By that time we also moved house still within 25 miles.

Sounds more like a nazi club rather than fitness club...why the hell do you have to prove you are moving more than 25 miles...its none of their business.

Sarah Jul 14th 2006 12:46 am

So what would they do if you just wanted to cancel your membership because you couldn't be arsed going anymore? Need a signed note from your mum that you were a lazy bazzer who couldn't get his arse to the gym? Hang on a moment that sounds too much like me.....:D

evoal2003 Jul 14th 2006 3:22 am

You got your wish. :)

evoal2003 Jul 14th 2006 3:25 am

Originally Posted by kits

Thats telling lies..... :cool: