Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can you top this?

Wikiposts

Can you top this?

Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Can you top this?

Originally Posted by Tableland
Hi UGA

I'm noit sure they after I posted that, which is why I deleted it. I posted from memory but now I think the F-18s might be more powerful. I would need to check. I was going to watch the Raptor at Fairford but, quelle surprise, it was rained off.
F-18s have 2 engines with afterburners so yes, more powerful than the single engined F-16
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you top this?

Originally Posted by Brit3964
F-18s have 2 engines with afterburners so yes, more powerful than the single engined F-16
What interests me about many of these fighters is the age of their initial design, with some going back three or four decades. I think the Hornet was designed in the 70s, also the F-14 is pretty old.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:18 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Soowry At one point, we hit a very thick bank of cloud while in that tight formation and had to pull up right (other airplane fell left) then rejoined later somewhere over Blackpool. We were in route (sorry in ro-out to Scotland at the time. The pic is me back then in 1996 in front of that airplane we flew in to Scotland, a BAe Jaguar, back at Boscombe.
Nice to see that picture. Oh I pronounce it 'root' most of the time but I alternate. Having read that I'm crazy jealous. There's nothing more that I want to do now is to be in a jet in IFR conditions and having to make aggressive maneuvers to deal with turbulence and traffic. The closest I got was being in a passenger jet and feeling it climb out suddenly. It shocked me at first but inside I was laughing hysterically with the butterflies going every which way.

What interests me about many of these fighters is the age of their initial design, with some going back three or four decades. I think the Hornet was designed in the 70s, also the F-14 is pretty old.
Yeah they are pretty old. The 18 being a bit newer but still hearkening back the 70's and 80's. You do have to admit that they were and still are well designed aircraft. I love the 14 with it's swept back wing action. I love the 18 for it's semi-glass cockpit. They are pretty good as 4th generation fighters. However I can't wait to see what's coming up next. We have the 35 but who knows eh.

(Oh I'm glad that Lochkeed Martin was awarded the contract, the Boeing JSF was tacky as hell)
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:19 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Just a slang thing I think. Missouri has a complicated Civil War history. Basically a union state, a pro-slavery governor run out of the state, (rebel group) seceded it from the union, claimed by CSA. I think many think of it as a straight-forward southern state but it's more complex than that I guess.
Missouri's Civil War history is very complex and very savage. Officially, there wasn't much going on here with a couple of exceptions, but unofficially the guerilla war especially on the Missouri/Kansas border was brutal. Most of the western half the state was actually depopulated during the war.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Missouri's Civil War history is very complex and very savage. Officially, there wasn't much going on here with a couple of exceptions, but unofficially the guerilla war especially on the Missouri/Kansas border was brutal. Most of the western half the state was actually depopulated during the war.
In fact, the skirmishes on the border you mention pre-date the war. As early as the spring of 1856 there was trouble there, with "border ruffians" from MO crossing into KS to cast illegal pro-slavery votes in the act to make the latter a free state. A great piece of history and a precursor to the Civil War by a good few years.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ugacrew
However I can't wait to see what's coming up next. We have the 35 but who knows eh.
Totally. Look at the stealth technology which most people saw years and years after initial design and testing and even use. I would wager there is some serious technology out there (and probably has been for many years) that we know nothing about, and wil be presented as "new technology" in a a few years' time.

Like the mysterious Aurora project with its pulse detination propulsion and so on. There are some amusing You Tube videos of so-called films of these things flitting about, etc.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:42 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melody32
tis very difficult to be too patriotic when we as a nation cannot pronounce aluminium properly. my BIL tried to get me to say it on our last visit by asking what's used to cook a roast and I confused him by responding Reynolds wrap.

Do any parents out there know if in a spelling bee which is accepted, aluminium or aluminum.
Depends. Which word are you trying to spell? They're both right.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:43 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Depends. Which word are you trying to spell? They're both right.
I think the pronunciation would dictate which spelling to use.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:18 am
Curry Magnet

One Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jackie dwyer
Get over yourselves. I don't like over the top patriotism in any country. It's my opinion. Deal with it.
"Get over yourselves", "Deal with it" ....got any more, well past their sell-by date, cliches you'd like to share with us?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:25 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

This gives some info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:32 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by One Hung Lo
"Get over yourselves", "Deal with it" ....got any more, well past their sell-by date, cliches you'd like to share with us?
Whatever!!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:35 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Whatever!!
That was soooo yesterday

(you sounded so Californian just then )
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:35 am
Curry Magnet

One Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Whatever!!
That's hilarious....NOT!!!!!!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:36 am
Riding on silver wings

As if!

Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:41 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

That was soooo yesterday

(you sounded so Californian just then )
As if!

This thread is so played out already

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.