Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can you top this?

Wikiposts

Can you top this?

Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you top this?

Originally Posted by melody32
tis very difficult to be too patriotic when we as a nation cannot pronounce aluminium properly. my BIL tried to get me to say it on our last visit by asking what's used to cook a roast and I confused him by responding Reynolds wrap.

Do any parents out there know if in a spelling bee which is accepted, aluminium or aluminum.
Both are acceptable spellings, although for a spelling bee? Probably only the US version.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Do you consider the way the English express pride in their country to be superior to the way we Yanks say ours is the best?
You're a yankee?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Oh yeah. You had to listen to the whole "we kicked your British butts in the Revolutionary War" deal. I'm sorry about that. But hey, you got to see some of the finest pilots around and spend a day out in the sun. Can't beat that with a stick.
The Red Arrows were great, well worth the wait to see the finest.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:12 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
You're a yankee?
Yessir.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Yessir.
I thought you were from Missourah.

Last edited by Tableland; Aug 14th 2008 at 12:17 am.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:19 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you was from Missourah.
Missour-ee... It's kind of an odd place, we're Yanks to those south of us, Southerners to those north of us, Westerners to those east of us and Easterners to those west of us. Never could understand the "ah" pronounciation, the plural doesn't make sense.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Missour-ee... It's kind of an odd place, we're Yanks to those south of us, Southerners to those north of us, Westerners to those east of us and Easterners to those west of us. Never could understand the "ah" pronounciation, the plural doesn't make sense.
Just a slang thing I think. Missouri has a complicated Civil War history. Basically a union state, a pro-slavery governor run out of the state, (rebel group) seceded it from the union, claimed by CSA. I think many think of it as a straight-forward southern state but it's more complex than that I guess.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:28 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so happy to know you don't pronounce it Missour AH. It drives me nuts to hear it pronounced that way. Like where the heck is the 'A' at the end you know.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Can you top this?

Oh yeah. You had to listen to the whole "we kicked your British butts in the Revolutionary War" deal. I'm sorry about that. But hey, you got to see some of the finest pilots around and spend a day out in the sun. Can't beat that with a stick.
The Red Arrows do put on a good show for sure. I've flown in a BAe Hawk too The Blue Angels are good as well although I think The Thunderbirds have a more dynamic airshow probably 'cos the F-16s are more maneuverable than the F-18s but what's with all that public engine run show they do beforehand??
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:35 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
The Red Arrows do put on a good show for sure. I've flown in a BAe Hawk too The Blue Angels are good as well although I think The Thunderbirds have a more dynamic airshow probably 'cos the F-16s are more maneuverable than the F-18s but what's with all that public engine run show they do beforehand??
Nah. I think the Blues are better. They have much tighter formations than the Thunderbirds and to me seem more dynamic. There are a couple things that the TB's have going for them. Firstly they have a woman on the demo team which is fantastic. Secondly that sneak pass thrilled the crap out of me and I can't wait to have that happen again. Despite that the Blues are my favorite demo team. Their show isn't boring to me. My attention span was actually tested with the TB's. Perhaps it was because they had a malfunction at the beginning of their last show that delayed it.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:37 am
Riding on silver wings

F-16s are more powerful as well.
But guess who's being retired in a few years first, the F-16's. That's when the 35 goes into regular production. Despite the 16 being more powerful the 18 is more versatile in it's use with the armament that it carries.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can you top this?

Nah. I think the Blues are better. They have much tighter formations than the Thunderbirds and to me seem more dynamic. There are a couple things that the TB's have going for them. Firstly they have a woman on the demo team which is fantastic. Secondly that sneak pass thrilled the crap out of me and I can't wait to have that happen again. Despite that the Blues are my favorite demo team. Their show isn't boring to me. My attention span was actually tested with the TB's. Perhaps it was because they had a malfunction at the beginning of their last show that delayed it.
Don't get me wrong. The BAs are as good as them all. I've filmed 'em in action a few times now and yes, tight formations each time and doing it without the aid of a G-suit! Flying wing tip to wing tip at 420kts in and out of cloud is quite exhilarating (thanks to the test pilots at Boscombe Down).
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:43 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Don't get me wrong. The BAs are as good as them all. I've filmed 'em in action a few times now and yes, tight formations each time and doing it without the aid of a G-suit! Flying wing tip to wing tip at 420kts in and out of cloud is quite exhilarating (thanks to the test pilots at Boscombe Down).
On average they are 18" apart from wingtip to canopy. It's crazy nuts to be that close. Anything can happen.

Oh and quit making me jealous.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

But guess who's being retired in a few years first, the F-16's. That's when the 35 goes into regular production. Despite the 16 being more powerful the 18 is more versatile in it's use with the armament that it carries.
Hi UGA

I'm noit sure they after I posted that, which is why I deleted it. I posted from memory but now I think the F-18s might be more powerful. I would need to check. I was going to watch the Raptor at Fairford but, quelle surprise, it was rained off.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Post Re: Can you top this?

On average they are 18" apart from wingtip to canopy. It's crazy nuts to be that close. Anything can happen.

Oh and quit making me jealous.
Soowry At one point, we hit a very thick bank of cloud while in that tight formation and had to pull up right (other airplane fell left) then rejoined later somewhere over Blackpool. We were in route (sorry in ro-out to Scotland at the time. The pic is me back then in 1996 in front of that airplane we flew in to Scotland, a BAe Jaguar, back at Boscombe.
Attached Thumbnails Can you top this?-dan1.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.