Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I rent house in US before I come?

Can I rent house in US before I come?

Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:20 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I rent house in US before I come?

Pulaski is spot on. The corporations are much more difficult to work with if you don't fit the profile of the average US renter. Private owners can be more flexible and less of a jobsworth.

I would add Craigslist to that list also
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

AimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You'll likely find it easier with a private landlord over a more "corporate" apartment complex or houses managed through a property manager or letting agency.

Try looking at rent.com, forrentbyowner.com, or Google-up other rental web sites or local newspaper sites with a rental classified section.
Good point. We will stay away from apartment complexes. And, I suppose estate agents.

I wasn't away of those websites so many thanks for those. I have been looking at realtor.com which are mainly estate agents.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

AimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zez
We did. hubby visited 3 weeks before we came and viewed a house. Went armed with UK experian report, references, letters from employer, employment contract etc. he set up a US bank account and deposited money for the house deposit. We were renting it for a week before we arrived. X
That's good to know. However, we have consolidated our debts with a debt charity company here in the UK and this affects our credit rating so a UK report won't help us. We already have a joint bank account in the US though. Were able to set one up during our last visit to the states.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AimeeKat
Good point. We will stay away from apartment complexes. And, I suppose estate agents.

I wasn't away of those websites so many thanks for those. I have been looking at realtor.com which are mainly estate agents.
There was another thread recently on this topic (in that case about moving to Houston), that I posted on, and others also mentioned, if I remember correctly, zillow.com and trulia.com as websites that feature rental listings.

Realtor.com probably isn't going to be much help, other than to direct you to realtors who (i) don't really want to help you rent a home, (their business is usually primarily handling sales/ purchases) (ii) want to charge you a significant fee for their "help", and/or (iii) will only direct you to homes for rent by their clients.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

We used craigslist and pad mapper.com plus some local websites to look online and then got local contacts ( couple of people from the company I was going to be working for) to go and look at the places and pay the deposit.
The landlord wasn't heavily marketing it ( I found a 2 week old listing ) which might have helped our case

Turned out OK, we knew it was not going to be a long term rental and 16 months later we had our own home
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There was another thread recently on this topic (in that case about moving to Houston), that I posted on, and others also mentioned, if I remember correctly, zillow.com and trulia.com as websites that feature rental listings.
Trulia and Padmapper are probably the best bets for looking for a rental.

Craigslist can be good, but there aren't half a lot of time wasters and scams on it these days.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Craigslist can be good, but there aren't half a lot of time wasters and scams on it these days.
Agreed. I would be very careful about parting with any money up front until you know you are dealing with a legitimate entity, and not some con artist.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Agreed. I would be very careful about parting with any money up front until you know you are dealing with a legitimate entity, and not some con artist.
Renting can be quite a scary business on both sides of the table. There is a lot of trust involved.