British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Can I rent house in US before I come? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/can-i-rent-house-us-before-i-come-813607/)

Marc_ely Oct 29th 2013 5:54 am

Can I rent house in US before I come?

Hi, I have had a search and get terribly sidetracked by all the useful stuff on here so might be quicker to just ask the questions...

We are moving in January to O County (California). I wonder if it's possible to rent a house there from the UK before we come over. Would save a lot of money on the corporate apartment alternative if we could! We have someone who can look at it for us who we trust...

Also I have read that some of you have sorted bank accounts and SS numbers before moving out - how is this done please? I thought it could not be sorted until we get there.

Thanks in advance

Noorah101 Oct 29th 2013 6:41 am

Re: Can I rent house in US before I come?

Originally Posted by Marc_ely (Post 10967372)
We are moving in January to O County (California). I wonder if it's possible to rent a house there from the UK before we come over. Would save a lot of money on the corporate apartment alternative if we could! We have someone who can look at it for us who we trust...

If you can find a landlord willing to do that, yes, it can be done. I suspect most landlords want their renter to be inside the USA and provide US based information.

Also I have read that some of you have sorted bank accounts and SS numbers before moving out - how is this done please?
Bank account might be able to be sorted long distance, contact the bank you wish to do business with and ask them if it's possible.

SSN absolutely not done from abroad, you need to physically be inside the USA to apply. Oh, wait...the only way you'd might get a SSN sorted from abroad is if you are the spouse of a USC and are getting an Immigrant Visa.

Rene

Bob Oct 29th 2013 6:46 am

Sure you can.

Places come up quick, so you'd need to rent it empty for a few months and if the landlord isn't happy with that, you'd want to offer a larger deposit, etc.

AimeeKat Oct 29th 2013 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10967513)
SSN absolutely not done from abroad, you need to physically be inside the USA to apply. Oh, wait...the only way you'd might get a SSN sorted from abroad is if you are the spouse of a USC and are getting an Immigrant Visa.

Rene

Rene, do you know how far into the process one would need to be after petitioning a British Citizen the I-130 that we could get a SSN?

AimeeKat Oct 29th 2013 10:48 am

I too am curious about renting a place in the USA while we are still in the UK so we at least have it ready to move once we are there. I have been away from the USA for 10 years and my credit is non existent so I will have to start over.

Will I find it hard to rent with no credit?

AimeeKat Oct 29th 2013 10:49 am

(apologies Marc_ely for the hijack)

Bob Oct 29th 2013 10:53 am

Originally Posted by AimeeKat (Post 10967896)
Rene, do you know how far into the process one would need to be after petitioning a British Citizen the I-130 that we could get a SSN?

Once you're in the US.

Bob Oct 29th 2013 10:55 am

Originally Posted by AimeeKat (Post 10967901)
Will I find it hard to rent with no credit?

Depends on the local market. Some places like Boston, yes. Others, no.

Easily over come with a larger deposit, or paying rent up front.

Noorah101 Oct 29th 2013 11:04 am

Originally Posted by AimeeKat (Post 10967896)

The immigrant can ask for the SSN to be assigned automatically if he ticks the "yes" box to that question on the immigrant visa application. However, the number won't be assigned and the card won't be produced until he arrives in the USA.

Since you mentioned a "corporate apartment", I assumed that scenario didn't apply to you. Are you a USC, petitioning a foriegn spouse?

Rene

AimeeKat Oct 29th 2013 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10967936)
The immigrant can ask for the SSN to be assigned automatically if he ticks the "yes" box to that question on the immigrant visa application. However, the number won't be assigned and the card won't be produced until he arrives in the USA.

Since you mentioned a "corporate apartment", I assumed that scenario didn't apply to you. Are you a USC, petitioning a foriegn spouse?

Rene

Sorry, the 'corporate apartment' was another poster. If I quoted that, I didn't mean to. Yes, I am a USC petitioning my UK Citizen spouse. (we are both living in the UK at present)

AimeeKat Oct 29th 2013 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10967913)
Depends on the local market. Some places like Boston, yes. Others, no.

Easily over come with a larger deposit, or paying rent up front.

Thanks. Show them the money! I get it. :thumbup:

penguinsix Oct 29th 2013 11:34 am

Yes, you can rent before you arrive, but the real purpose of a corporate apartment is not just "a place to stay" but more of a "base" from which to scout out the area. Renting before you arrive can find you in a place that looks great on paper or something your friend thinks is "nice" but when you get over you discover it is behind the corner to a fire station with screaming sirens every night or there is a dumpster from a nearby restaurant in your back alley pulling in the rats all day. Not to mention the things rarely on real estate sites, such as crime maps, schools, sidewalks and pavements, what the neighborhood is like and most importantly, who are the neighbors.

So while it is possible, it might not be the best solution for your long term needs.

Noorah101 Oct 29th 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by AimeeKat (Post 10967984)
Sorry, the 'corporate apartment' was another poster. If I quoted that, I didn't mean to. Yes, I am a USC petitioning my UK Citizen spouse. (we are both living in the UK at present)

Oh, yes...sorry, I didn't notice. :o

Rene

Pulaski Oct 29th 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by AimeeKat (Post 10967901)
..... . I have been away from the USA for 10 years and my credit is non existent so I will have to start over. ..... Will I find it hard to rent with no credit?

You'll likely find it easier with a private landlord over a more "corporate" apartment complex or houses managed through a property manager or letting agency.

Try looking at rent.com, forrentbyowner.com, or Google-up other rental web sites or local newspaper sites with a rental classified section. :)

Zez Oct 29th 2013 5:12 pm

We did. hubby visited 3 weeks before we came and viewed a house. Went armed with UK experian report, references, letters from employer, employment contract etc. he set up a US bank account and deposited money for the house deposit. We were renting it for a week before we arrived. X