Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British ID Cards Anyone?

Wikiposts

British ID Cards Anyone?

Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: British ID Cards Anyone?

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Home Office Road Traffic Document 1. Pronouced "Horty". Seven days. And the only at the discrection of the copper that pulled you (see above).

I always found the "Yes, officer, no officer, I'm very sorry officer, three bags full officer" approach worked very well in my favour.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:22 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

It's a complete waste of money I'm sure it would not take much to reproduce the cards or even just change the details of the information it holds in fact it will probably make it easier for terrorists as anyone checking a card will just take it for granted that the information it holds is correct.

What a waste of money the new UK drivers licence is you still have to produce the paper copy.

Probably find that the card manufacturer is a big Labour backer, as they seem so adamant to push it through.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I always found the "Yes, officer, no officer, I'm very sorry officer, three bags full officer" approach worked very well in my favour.

In the UK yes but I don't think that works too well in the US.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Been stopped for speeding here at least 5 times, once doing 103 on the I-87 and still have a clean NY state drivers licence. Obviously a little bit of bullsh*t was involved but all ended well.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:41 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
What difference did it make to the recent rioting in France that they are a country with National Identity cards - None.

What difference would it have made to prevent the July 05 bombers in London - None.

What difference will this make to some asshole company who are tasked with administering and issuing these cards - a lot of money.

Who will benefit when your ID card carries a chip that can be automatically scanned as you pass through a "barrier" - Anyone who wants to make use of that data. The "barriers" will not need to be posted as such as they come within the sphere of security. This scheme could be used in much the same way as offender tagging. IMHO
Nicely put - it staggers me that this Bill will be passed and that the Lord's gave in.
I would like to see a minister grilled about this by Paxman or someone else, or maybe that has happened already back home as the idea has more holes than an aero.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:45 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I would like to see a minister grilled about this by Paxman
Now there's a UK TV personality I actually miss - I would love to see him apply the "come off it Minister!" treatment to more than a few US politicians.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:48 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Now there's a UK TV personality I actually miss - I would love to see him apply the "come off it Minister!" treatment to more than a few US politicians.
I always laughed when politicians accused him of being rude for repeatedly asking the same question.
Try actually answering the question you useless sacks of sh*t then maybe he wouldn't have to ask it 25 times.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:53 am
Thinking about it

The government says it wants to give people a sure-fire way of proving they are who they say they are. It argues ID cards will boost national security, tackle identity fraud, prevent illegal working and improve border controls.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Been stopped for speeding here at least 5 times, once doing 103 on the I-87 and still have a clean NY state drivers licence. Obviously a little bit of bullsh*t was involved but all ended well.
Well you do have a way with words Rushy.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:01 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

"three bags full" thing would get them wondering if you had "three baggies full" of summat on you, you'd be lucky to get away with a ticket
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Kate2112
"three bags full" thing would get them wondering if you had "three baggies full" of summat on you, you'd be lucky to get away with a ticket
A UK collegue of my hubby's got pulled over for speeding on the way the Newark Airport. She asked to officer politely to hurry up or she would miss her plane. He told her one more comment like that and she would spend the night in jail.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

A UK collegue of my hubby's got pulled over for speeding on the way the Newark Airport. She asked to officer politely to hurry up or she would miss her plane. He told her one more comment like that and she would spend the night in jail.

US cops simply scare me - even though I'm as innocent as Snow-White. :scared:

Whereas I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see a British bobby...

Anyone else has this experience?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:50 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
US cops simply scare me - even though I'm as innocent as Snow-White. :scared:

There seems to be good and bad cops over here, bad cops being the ones that go over board and will stick you in jail for just about anything (well so I've been told ).
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:02 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
There seems to be good and bad cops over here, bad cops being the ones that go over board and will stick you in jail for just about anything (well so I've been told ).
Much like the UK then really. Never met a bad cop...met lots of bad people though.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira

I'm waiting for a certain someone to make some filthy comment over that remark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.