Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British ID Cards Anyone?

Wikiposts

British ID Cards Anyone?

Old Mar 29th 2006, 4:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British ID Cards Anyone?

Damn brit workers sodding around ... load of lefty guardian readers......

Last edited by Ray; Mar 29th 2006 at 4:15 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 4:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Damn brit workers sodding around ... load of lefty guardian readers......

No, they're probably just ogling page 3.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:11 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

This is completely f**ked up.
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4860642.stm
Especially this bit...
People applying for passports will have to visit their local passport office where they will be interviewed, fingerprinted and have "background checks" carried out on them.

Their details will be entered on to the database and they will be issued with an identity card, although they will not be forced by law to carry it.
What is the point in having them is they are not compulosry to carry anyway ??
Oh, and I look forward to the first case where someone sues because details of say a spent criminal record were leaked to a potential employer or their name was actually linked to the details of someone else who has a record.

I would also imagine that the whole thing is illegal under European laws, and yet again Labour are claiming that the public want this which appears to be completely inaccurate and just a flat out lie.

Like I said before the current system is fine if it is properly administered - if they can't do that properly what makes them think that they will be able to impliment a far more complex scheme ??

Oh, and this....wtf is this about ??
If banks don't know how to check people out properly that is their look out, and the figure quoted - how did they come up with that ??

Banks will be able to check people are who they say they are on the government's national identity database.

The "potential benefits to the private sector" of ID cards added up to £425m a year, said Mr Clarke.

Last edited by BigDavyG; Mar 30th 2006 at 2:16 am.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Both my father and uncle used to not carry their driving licenses as a matter of principle (it wasn't required and they wished to exercise that right). They would not be happy at the current proposals. They were both in WWII, and were used to id's being issued in times of war, but believed that one of the things they fought for was freedom from such a measure of state control of the population. I must be an anachronism.
Well actually the law plainly states that (and I had to say this many, many times):

"It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 to fail to produce, on demand, your driving documents to a constable when required. Under this act I can issue you with a seven day notice to provide said documents at a police station of your choice. Failure to do so within seven days from midnight tonight or if, on production, there are irregularites in said documents, then you may be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act 1988. Do you wish accept this?"

If they said no or I thought they were just tossers then I could just slap one on them for failure to produce there and then....believe me I did it more than once.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rushman
Good old HORT(1)

Gave you five days to go buy a bent M.O.T and a dodgy insurance cover note Nice one Mr Plod, ta very much

Home Office Road Traffic Document 1. Pronouced "Horty". Seven days. And the only at the discrection of the copper that pulled you (see above).
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:23 am
Account Closed

The principle of liberty from government surveillance is important. It's not a matter of whether you've done anything wrong, but of whether you want a government body to collect all this data and be able to demand that you present said card whether you have done anything wrong or not. Personally, I even get annoyed when I got to a shop where you have to show your receipt and have your stuff checked just to leave, although I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide.

In addition, nobody has been able to come up with any evidence that such record keeping will actually make anyone any safer.

Thing is if there weren't naughty people doing bad things then no-one would need monitoring or reciepts to prove they weren't naughty.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Thing is if there weren't naughty people doing bad things then no-one would need monitoring or reciepts to prove they weren't naughty.

However, people who are not naughty should not constantly be having to prove it. The burden is always on the prosecution, in every sense. Or it should be.

Second, nobody can seem to prove any of this monitoring stuff will prevent crime or terrorism. Seems to be a traditional sop thrown by the government to gain popularity in some quarters, or to whip up fear and therefore support, or simply to distract.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:29 am

Well actually the law plainly states that (and I had to say this many, many times):

"It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 to fail to produce, on demand, your driving documents to a constable when required. Under this act I can issue you with a seven day notice to provide said documents at a police station of your choice. Failure to do so within seven days from midnight tonight or if, on production, there are irregularites in said documents, then you may be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act 1988. Do you wish accept this?"

If they said no or I thought they were just tossers then I could just slap one on them for failure to produce there and then....believe me I did it more than once.

He always used to go down to the cop shop in the 7 days. Most of his driving happened well before 1988 though.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:31 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

However, people who are not naughty should not constantly be having to prove it. The burden is always on the prosecution, in every sense. Or it should be.

Second, nobody can seem to prove any of this monitoring stuff will prevent crime or terrorism. Seems to be a traditional sop thrown by the government to gain popularity in some quarters, or to whip up fear and therefore support, or simply to distract.
Your second point is absolutely spot on - there is absolutely no proof - as per usual it will be the man/woman in the street who will suffer because criminals will always find loopholes and ways to exploit the system.
Like I said before - the current system would be more than adequate with just a few tweaks and a bit of commonsense.

The papers in the UK should be going doolally over this - I wonder if they are ??
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:31 am
Account Closed

I realise it should be innocent till proven guilty but in reality how many people do naughty things without even thinking of them as illegal? Speeding, "borrowing" the office stationary, etc, etc...all actually illegal but not considered so by most people. I'm pretty most people would do more "naughty" things if they thought they could get away with it.

Personally I think ID cards are a waste of space.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:48 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I realise it should be innocent till proven guilty but in reality how many people do naughty things without even thinking of them as illegal? Speeding, "borrowing" the office stationary, etc, etc...all actually illegal but not considered so by most people. I'm pretty most people would do more "naughty" things if they thought they could get away with it.

Personally I think ID cards are a waste of space.
What difference did it make to the recent rioting in France that they are a country with National Identity cards - None.

What difference would it have made to prevent the July 05 bombers in London - None.

What difference will this make to some asshole company who are tasked with administering and issuing these cards - a lot of money.

Who will benefit when your ID card carries a chip that can be automatically scanned as you pass through a "barrier" - Anyone who wants to make use of that data. The "barriers" will not need to be posted as such as they come within the sphere of security. This scheme could be used in much the same way as offender tagging. IMHO
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You just enjoy the slapping bit.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Who will benefit when your ID card carries a chip that can be automatically scanned as you pass through a "barrier" - Anyone who wants to make use of that data. The "barriers" will not need to be posted as such as they come within the sphere of security. This scheme could be used in much the same way as offender tagging. IMHO
You hit the nail on the head .... knowing who was in what area ... could change an awful lot of things ....
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:14 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Thirty seconds in the mircrowave should solve that!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:16 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Thirty seconds in the mircrowave should solve that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.