Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:56 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Found a new item about Euro 2004 from an American point of view. Quick quote from it:
The party never ends in Portugal

BY STEVE POLITI

LISBON, Portugal -- It is time to face the truth, American sports fans. Sometimes, the Europeans do it better.

We have the Super Bowl, a good excuse to gather with your buddies and party for one night every year. Which is nice.

But over here, they have Euro 2004, which is a great excuse to travel across an entire country for three weeks and eat and drink and party ... for three straight weeks.

You might hate soccer, but if you like having a good time, you would fit in just fine at the European championships.
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...3866261820.xml

Mentions a bit of bother in a nightclub, but as someone says in the article: "You get that everywhere."

Manc - good news about Missie.

I'll be over to Wake Forest on Sunday to watch the finalZzzz..
No it will be a good one.

Nice and warm and sunny.
Stick on the barbie.
Couple of beers.
Football on the telly.

Nice.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by manc1976
The wife got the all clear on the lump today, it was a fibroid cyst. Nothing to worry about.
thanks for your thoughts lads.

Big relief! Go and have a lovely bottle of wine(Buckie) this weekend and celebrate LIFE!

I nearly forgot my anniversary today it is my 10th only realised once a card came thru the door this morning from our friends, I then dashed out to work, I was there for the boss opening up he said what's up with you, I said anniversary he laughed and said take you going into town at lunch then.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Preston had artificial too some time ago, as did Oldham.
I do recall it at Loftus Road though very Early 80's

correct on Coventry City Highfield Road.

Didn't know Aberdeen were first in UK though.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I Didn't know Aberdeen were first in UK though.

They were nice comfy seats though, they were actually loads of sheep all in a row with a tarpolin over yur heed.

Do you know that a leisure centre in Aberdeen is actually a sheep tied to a lamppost
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 9:03 pm

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Football trivia

Michael Richardson, should have gained more noteriety in 1966 for this, but sadly didn't, but why is he synonymous with the world cup final of 1966
COMMENTATOR !

He was the commentator for ITV, but of course nobody remembers him. (Poor sod)
Am I right ?

What was the first all seater stadium in the 4 english leagues.
Coventry.
I think Jimmy "Do you know who I am ?" Hill set a record for sitting in every seat.
Might have made that last bit up.

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 9:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
COMMENTATOR !
You're the nearest......
As it has something to do with what commontator Ken Wolstenholm said.

"Some people are on the pitch"

well "some people" was in fact, Michael Richardson.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 9:20 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ducatiandy
They were nice comfy seats though, they were actually loads of sheep all in a row with a tarpolin over yur heed.

Do you know that a leisure centre in Aberdeen is actually a sheep tied to a lamppost
You're gonna get pelters from Dave when he gets back on here mate
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jambo_2004
You're gonna get pelters from Dave when he gets back on here mate

I take it he is the token don, then?
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 2:17 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know Aberdeen were first in UK though.
Aberdeen introduced the dugout to UK stadiums too. I would've replied earlier but I've been too busy laughing at the glesca banter.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 3:56 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Webbie
Found a new item about Euro 2004 from an American point of view. Quick quote from it:

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...3866261820.xml

Mentions a bit of bother in a nightclub, but as someone says in the article: "You get that everywhere."

Manc - good news about Missie.

I'll be over to Wake Forest on Sunday to watch the finalZzzz..
No it will be a good one.

Nice and warm and sunny.
Stick on the barbie.
Couple of beers.
Football on the telly.

Nice.
So whats the prediction then webbie?

Im out of civilisation this week and will be staying somewhere in upstate NY??? So wont be watching the game, just wanted a heads up on what the score wont be?!

Im hoping for a 1 - 0 Greece, if the portugese score I cant see the back door bandits getting 2.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:46 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Personally I don't want the Greeks to win, they've got a German coach which explains why they're giving such boring and "well organised" performances.

In any case, it would be nice to say that England didn't lose to the eventual winners..... not that it means much......

I'm going for Portugal 3-0. Now that sounds like a real Webbie prediction!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:13 am

Originally posted by RoB1833
Personally I don't want the Greeks to win, they've got a German coach which explains why they're giving such boring and "well organised" performances.

In any case, it would be nice to say that England didn't lose to the eventual winners..... not that it means much......

I'm going for Portugal 3-0. Now that sounds like a real Webbie prediction!
Yeah that sounds like one of mine.

But no - I'm going for......

Portugal 2 - Greece 1

and the hosts get their revenge for the first game and win the tournament.

...and as we all know with my past record - absolutely none of this will happen.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by DaveC
Aberdeen introduced the dugout to UK stadiums too. I would've replied earlier but I've been too busy laughing at the glesca banter.

I nearly choked on my deep fried mars bar there, a hud ta waash it doon wae a boatle ah ginger.

fitz it lick up in ol aaberdeen like.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 1:36 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

I'm Scottish and I couldnt understand that. Glasgow is like a different planet. :lecture:
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 1:39 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Back to the footy. Do we really give a toss about the euros now?
Seems like we're just following it through to the end for the sake of it. No one got any pre-season transfer news/rumours/predictions? What about Rooney?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.