Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

58 mins: GOAL Sweden 2-0 Bulgaria
Larsson doubles Sweden's lead with a sublime diving header after a brilliant cross from the left
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:18 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
58 mins: GOAL Sweden 2-0 Bulgaria
Larsson doubles Sweden's lead with a sublime diving header after a brilliant cross from the left
3- nil a minute after that one !

You can't listen to the commentary at work there Manc ?
Larsson is on FIRE.

He's put himself in the shop window at this tournament and after this he'll be spoilt for choice. I know he's 32 now but some sucker...sorry top league team will come in for him.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:48 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
3- nil a minute after that one !

You can't listen to the commentary at work there Manc ?
Larsson is on FIRE.

He's put himself in the shop window at this tournament and after this he'll be spoilt for choice. I know he's 32 now but some sucker...sorry top league team will come in for him.
What the **** ?!

I thought after the third they would sit back and that's about it.
Left the computer to faff about somewhere else.
Came back. Sat down and...

SWEDEN 5 - BULGARIA 0

OK so the Bulgarians are not the bestest team, but five in an international compo...

I think they are making up for tommorrow first match and the one to avoid:
Czech Rep v Latvia
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mattbutt
'What do you think of the good behaviour of the English fans in defeat in Portugal? Full marks, yeah?'

Is that sarcasm or was there no trouble? Everyone still in shock probably?
No...I never use sarcasm...that's an English trait.....but no, the English fans really were great in Lisbon...no bother at all. Give them their due.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:51 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Lothianlad
No...I never use sarcasm...that's an English trait.....but no, the English fans really were great in Lisbon...no bother at all. Give them their due.
Will do, its about time too. Think it may be something to do with the huge effort the people in the UK went to stopping people from leaving the country, shame they dont do the same with people coming in, but thats something for another thread.

5-0 nice result and freddie is on my fantasy football team which is nice.

Webbie, your misses has the same trainers as me?! Keep up the good work on the predictions!

I think england will draw against the swiss, win against croatia.

Nice thought about Dyer, I think he would give the swiss a hard time. Maybe something a little fancy is what we need, and a heskey injury.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:56 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Just watched the Sweden highlights, think that scoreline doesnt do the bulgarians much justice, a stunning header from Larsson (think it was him) and a great goal to make it 5 -0 from Allback.

I know bulgaria are not the best but Sweden with finishing like that maybe worth putting a few quid on.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:52 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Be'ave yerself you.

(For anyone not familier - I'm on the far left and Danielle is on the far right.)

Back to the footie:
Crap first half. Disappointed by Italy's performance at the moment. Denmark have managed to keep them closed down.
I met my wife during France 98 and she bought herself a Scotland shirt on one of our first dates. She wore it occasionally and she was known to accompany me to Aberdeen matches for the next couple of years. Curiously it all stopped right after we got married and then that was it. No more wearing synthetic sports tops or sitting in windswept stadiums getting covered in spit from the muppet screaming in the seat behind.

Luckily, I have a small child now to dress up in footy tops and she's too young to complain!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Pat Viera is whinging about the 'dirty English players' won't stop him taking the money over here next season will it ?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:37 am

Originally posted by mattbutt
Will do, its about time too. Think it may be something to do with the huge effort the people in the UK went to stopping people from leaving the country, shame they dont do the same with people coming in, but thats something for another thread.

5-0 nice result and freddie is on my fantasy football team which is nice.

Webbie, your misses has the same trainers as me?! Keep up the good work on the predictions!

I think england will draw against the swiss, win against croatia.

Nice thought about Dyer, I think he would give the swiss a hard time. Maybe something a little fancy is what we need, and a heskey injury.
There's a bit of trouble on the Algarve and back in Blighty too.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3807427.stm
But by the looks of it, it's alcohol that is stirring them up and nothing organised.

- Somebody posted a while back asking where you can download the Farm/All Together Now (England's song for Euro 2004)
- Just get yourself KaZaa Lite or WinMX and do a search for it.

Predictions today: Czech Republic 1- Lavia 0
Germany 2- Holland 2

First game I'll be missing (and so will many others) but the later match is mouth watering:
We get to find out how the Germans are playing at the moment and see if the Dutch players can play as a team. (Many egos and arguments behind the scene)
Has Rudi Voeller taught them how to hock a lugie ?
Have to men in Orange took diving lessons ?

I've been reading a BBC/Euro 2004 magazine I bought before I flew back and have been boning up on Greece.
Nobody fancies them and they think they are not going far, but as Scrumps pointed out they beat Spain on their way to the finals.
Quote from the magazine: "Greece topped its qualification group. After losing to Spain and the Ukraine they then won the following five games."
They've got a canny German coach who has got them organised and winning, so I would prefer to face Spain if we finish 2nd in our group and they win theirs.

But.

Remember the three words no Englishman wants to hear -
penalty shoot out.

In other news - Butt is ruled out for the rest of the tournament. By the looks it will be Owen Hargreaves who gets a run out but I would still like to see Dyer stretch his legs.

Last edited by Webbie; Jun 15th 2004 at 12:41 am.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

There's a bit of trouble on the Algarve and back in Blighty too.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3807427.stm
But by the looks of it, it's alcohol that is stirring them up and nothing organised.

- Somebody posted a while back asking where you can download the Farm/All Together Now (England's song for Euro 2004)
- Just get yourself KaZaa Lite or WinMX and do a search for it.

Predictions today: Czech Republic 1- Lavia 0
Germany 2- Holland 2

First game I'll be missing (and so will many others) but the later match is mouth watering:
We get to find out how the Germans are playing at the moment and see if the Dutch players can play as a team. (Many egos and arguments behind the scene)

I've been reading a BBC/Euro 2004 magazine I bought before I flew back and have been boning up on Greece.
Nobody fancies them and they think they are not going far, but as Scrumps pointed out they beat Spain on their way to the finals.
Quote from the magazine: "Greece topped its qualification group. After losing to Spain and the Ukraine they then won the following five games."
They've got a canny German coach who has got them organised and winning, so I would prefer to face Spain if we finish 2nd in our group and they win theirs.

But.

Remember the three words no Englishman wants to hear -
penalty shoot out.

In other news - Butt is ruled out for the rest of the tournament. By the looks it will be Owen Hargreaves who gets a run out but I would still like to see Dyer stretch his legs.
I have to say this.....it's always ENGLISH "fans" who cause bother! Ok, we Scots lads knock back the cans but we never go the way of the English! Scottish town and city centres are never anything like English ones are weekend nights. And in Scotland we have pubs open until 1am/2am. There is a serious flaw in the ENGLISH character. They cannae handle their drink without going mad and giving grief.

Cheers

Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:36 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Germany 2- Holland 2
This should be a cracker, I look forward to seeing the highlights tonight. Hope it lives up to the billing.

In other news - Butt is ruled out for the rest of the tournament.
Is this such a big loss? Do you guys rate him? I've always thought he was a bit of an arse, pun intended.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:01 am

Originally posted by DaveC
Is this such a big loss? Do you guys rate him? I've always thought he was a bit of an arse, pun intended.
Well he plays for the rags so I've never liked him anyway.
But looking at it objectively - he isn't all that good. Did have a good spell a couple of seasons ago and plays well when his teamate Scoles is there, but the last season he has faded and I think Fergie is listening to offers. (Oi ! Keegan ! NOOOOO !)
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:21 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lothianlad
I have to say this.....it's always ENGLISH "fans" who cause bother! Ok, we Scots lads knock back the cans but we never go the way of the English! Scottish town and city centres are never anything like English ones are weekend nights. And in Scotland we have pubs open until 1am/2am. There is a serious flaw in the ENGLISH character. They cannae handle their drink without going mad and giving grief.

Cheers

Let me rephrase that

I have to say this.....it's always HOOLIGAN "fans" who cause bother! Ok, we Scots lads knock back the cans but we never go the way of the HOOLIGANS! Scottish town and city centres are never anything like English ones are weekend nights with HOOLIGANS. And in Scotland we have pubs open until 1am/2am. There is a serious flaw in the HOOLIGAN character. They cannae handle their drink without going mad and giving grief

I am very offended by your dickless comments.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:22 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Well he plays for the rags so I've never liked him anyway.
But looking at it objectively - he isn't all that good. Did have a good spell a couple of seasons ago and plays well when his teamate Scoles is there, but the last season he has faded and I think Fergie is listening to offers. (Oi ! Keegan ! NOOOOO !)
As a Man U fan I'd like to see Scholes in the next game, although he's not scoring goals for England at the moment he's still an excellent possession midfielder that can open up defences. He also adds a bit of passion with his badly timed tackles and gets his team-mates fired up.

As for Butt, although he's the only true holding midfielder in the squad I'm not too unhappy to see him out of the tournament. If Fergie can get 5+ million for him it's going to be great piece of business for United!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:30 am

Originally posted by RoB1833
As a Man U fan I'd like to see Scholes in the next game, although he's not scoring goals for England at the moment he's still an excellent possession midfielder that can open up defences. He also adds a bit of passion with his badly timed tackles and gets his team-mates fired up.

As for Butt, although he's the only true holding midfielder in the squad I'm not too unhappy to see him out of the tournament. If Fergie can get 5+ million for him it's going to be great piece of business for United!
Behave yerself Rob !
Scoles hasn't put one in the net for three years now, you can't keep playing him and keep saying that this time he'll do something. This time he'll score. Not going to happen.
He's 50/50 for the game anyway and I'm sure Sven would not play him if he's not 100%. Although he has played others when they were not quite fit in the past, but Scoles is not a key player (in my eyes) and can be replaced with someone who can shake up those defenders.

And 5 mil for Butt ?!
No wonder the managers keep buying non-UK players.
You can snap up a far more talented Dutch player for less than three mill.
Fergie will be lucky to get a part-ex on a Skoda for Butt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.