Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Born in the USA

Born in the USA

Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in the USA

Originally Posted by Sally
We should try to meet up sometime!

My husband has a professional interest in some aspects of miscarriage.
Yes, we should!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Not wishing to talk for the PP but as I understand it oxytocin is released naturally in spurts by the body whereas pitocin is given in a steady flow in an intravenous pump. This can alter contractions in strength and effect. This in turn can lead to a 'cascade of intervention' ie epidural for the pain, instrumental delivery of baby and/or section. It can also lead to fetal distress because of the strength of the contractions. But I'm sure you know all that already
Main aim is to get healthy baby out while preserving mum's health. This is often forgotten. Mums still die because of pregnancy/labour delivery.

Agree about the pain: intensity vs prolonged.
Disagree about the fetal distress - shouldn't happen if baby and uterus are monitored correctly. If if does happen, v v easily and quickly reversible.
Disagree about the increased instrumental/operative delivery.
One of the many reasons that I love BE - we all have different experiences and viewpoints.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
We should try to meet up sometime!

My husband has a professional interest in some aspects of miscarriage.
This is probably the oddest start to a meetup thread I've ever seen.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
This is probably the oddest start to a meetup thread I've ever seen.
I admit, I am bringing out some odd quotes in people this week
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm curious to know why you feel that pitocin is evil? It is a synthetic version of what the body makes naturally.

Pitocin has helped many women have vaginal rather than operative deliveries.
Very painful contractions!!!

With my second daughter things weren't progressing the way the hospital staff wanted them too so they decided to alternate between pitocin and no pitocin... oh did I know when the Pitocin was turned back up
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:00 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently doing a placement in High-Risk Obstetrics at a University of California, Los Angeles Hospital Maternal-fetal medicine is my area
My boy was 8 weeks premature and with one on the way we also have concerns on this subject.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Very painful contractions!!!

With my second daughter things weren't progressing the way the hospital staff wanted them too so they decided to alternate between pitocin and no pitocin... oh did I know when the Pitocin was turned back up
Oh no, poor you Did you choose to go without pain relief? Or was it not working? Or was it bearable? I ask because I'm curious.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, poor you Did you choose to go without pain relief? Or was it not working? Or was it bearable? I ask because I'm curious.
I had 2 shots of Stadol [sp?] Ohhhh that is good stuff I also had an epidurial towards the end.

My second labor was induced due to small amount of fluid around my baby. She was 'high up' through most of my labor so they would not break my waters incase I delivered the cord first. I also spend quite a bit of time being alternated from side to another with one of my legs up in a sterip to help get her down. That plus 26hrs of labor+pitocin=:curse:

I tried to hold off on having the epidural as they fitted me with a mobile fetal monitor and let me walk the halls and of course once you have the epidurial you are kept in bed

Ash
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, as I understand it, if you have told the UK's inland revenue that you are non-resident in the UK, they pass this on to the health dept and after three months you are no longer able to get free NHS treatment in the UK - the computer system flags you up as being non-resident!

I know road accidents are still covered even if non-resident but don't know about pregancy. Worth looking into else it might be a bit of a fiscal shock!

Do the kid a favour, and get him dual nationality - he can't lose by it!