Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Born in the USA

Born in the USA

Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

soap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Born in the USA

I agree with Sally here, we both know the same lady. It is apparently more like doing things by the text book rather than what makes you feel more comfortable and less stressed. I personally would choose to go home but that's just me and I had two very good experiences there so I'm probably biased.

Good luck with the delivery.

Soap addict

Originally Posted by Sally
I know an English couple with 2 kids born here, they are both US citizens and have British passports as well.

Intervention in birth seems more commonplace here than in the UK, with less choice unless you're very determined.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I was born at home, delivered by a midwife until things stared to go wrong, my father had run down the street and find a phone box that hadn't been vandalized to call out the doctor.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to have a OB and have a baby in hospital you can have one in a birth centre or at home, and TX is one of the few midwife friendly states in the US.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 10:04 am
Just Joined

mummyof2 has a spectacular aura aboutmummyof2 has a spectacular aura aboutmummyof2 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Born in the USA

Hi
I too had my boy in USA (Fort Worth, Texas) in 2005, as far as citizenship goes he has dual nationality we had to apply to Washington British Embassy for his British birth cert, and his passport, so he has both.. USA and UK. We came back to UK last year (reluctantly) due to husbands job, but have to say after having my other child before him in UK for me the experience in Texas was great, had a great OB/GYN and the hospital care was fantastic and if i could choose i would have another child in USA rather than UK. The care was great and comparing the 2 births USA was better for me. I saw the same OB/GYN all through my pregnancy and got to know him well and he delivered our boy.. In UK saw multiple midwives during pregnancy and 2 different midwives assisted in the birth... and heard on the news today that 80% of maternity hospitals here have a shortage of midwives and funding.. but this is my opinion and i would choose USA. Also you have the added bonus of the child being able to live in USA if it chooses and for the child to sponsor you when he is 21. Anyway hope this helps..
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If your baby is born in the US he will be British by descent...which means he cannot pass UK citizenship to his/her children...unless of course they are born in the UK.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 4:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you baby is born outside the US and later becomes a US citizen, they won't be eligible to be President of the United States, so you might want to take that into consideration as well.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
If you baby is born outside the US and later becomes a US citizen, they won't be eligible to be President of the United States, so you might want to take that into consideration as well.
Good point. Arnie might change it though.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

In some US states (such as California where I am), healthcare is free to pregnant women. You should contact your local county council and ask them what the situation is.

Good luck with everything!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well thats what I've seen happen all to much IMHO.
It depends on your doctor. Some are okay with planning deliveries, others are of the opinion that the baby will come when it's ready to come - and that it's best not to mess with nature. (Exception - friends of mine who were 2+ weeks late were induced.)

I think the thinking is that you want the baby to be fully developed before it's born to reduce the change that lungs will not quite be ready, etc. Some women resent the idea that they would have to have their baby at a time which is convenient for hospital staffing. It's more likely to be a choice. I have heard of women having their membranes stripped, etc. so they are more likely to go into labor more quickly.

Bottomline, do your homework and talk to your doctor. Make sure your doctor is someone you feel comfortable with, and that the two of you are on the same page as to what you want. It's your baby afterall!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Pitocin is EVIL
I'm curious to know why you feel that pitocin is evil? It is a synthetic version of what the body makes naturally.

Pitocin has helped many women have vaginal rather than operative deliveries.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJ2007
It depends on your doctor. Some are okay with planning deliveries, others are of the opinion that the baby will come when it's ready to come - and that it's best not to mess with nature. (Exception - friends of mine who were 2+ weeks late were induced.)

Some places induce after 10 days post-dates, others 14 days. There really is a higher incidence of unexpected fetal deaths at these gestations.

I think the thinking is that you want the baby to be fully developed before it's born to reduce the change that lungs will not quite be ready, etc.

Lungs usually be ready by 34 weeks - but correct dating of the pregnancy can be an issue.

Some women resent the idea that they would have to have their baby at a time which is convenient for hospital staffing. I can certainly understand that! It rarely happens, but firstly mum's safety and secondly baby's safety are paramount

It's more likely to be a choice. I have heard of women having their membranes stripped, etc. so they are more likely to go into labor more quickly. This is done for clinical need, not staffing issues.

Bottomline, do your homework and talk to your doctor.
Agree!
Make sure your doctor is someone you feel comfortable with, and that the two of you are on the same page as to what you want. But be prepared for the fact that you may completely change your mind the minute you go into labour, and that's OK! It's your baby afterall!
I'm currently doing a placement in High-Risk Obstetrics at a University of California, Los Angeles Hospital Maternal-fetal medicine is my area
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm currently doing a placement in High-Risk Obstetrics at a University of California, Los Angeles Hospital Maternal-fetal medicine is my area
Oh right - I thought you were studying in England. UCLA isn't far from me you know!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally
Oh right - I thought you were studying in England. UCLA isn't far from me you know!
I know - just looked you up! I have friends who work at TO, live in Camarillo and in Ventura.... Im in Torrance, will be in Pasadena on Sunday...
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:30 am
Account Closed

I know - just looked you up! I have friends who work at TO, live in Camarillo and in Ventura.... Im in Torrance, will be in Pasadena on Sunday...
We should try to meet up sometime!

My husband has a professional interest in some aspects of miscarriage.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious to know why you feel that pitocin is evil? It is a synthetic version of what the body makes naturally.

Pitocin has helped many women have vaginal rather than operative deliveries.
Not wishing to talk for the PP but as I understand it oxytocin is released naturally in spurts by the body whereas pitocin is given in a steady flow in an intravenous pump. This can alter contractions in strength and effect. This in turn can lead to a 'cascade of intervention' ie epidural for the pain, instrumental delivery of baby and/or section. It can also lead to fetal distress because of the strength of the contractions. But I'm sure you know all that already

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.