Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Born in the USA

Born in the USA

Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in the USA

Originally Posted by britvic
Is it your first ? They dont seem to want to let you have the Baby when it's ready to come out in it's own time over here you know. And welcome Newbie.

Really? Wow I have to check that out with my daughter and her friends and my friends with their daughters. Everyone we know delivered a baby when the child announced it was ready to be born. Perhaps they need to change doctors so they can have their children at their convenience rather than at the baby's whim. You know, when the hard pains hit and the water breaks.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
BTW my daughter had her son without medical coverage and she had gestational diabetes during pregnancy. Her doctor's bill for a top notch OB was $4,500; the hospital delivery room, associated hospitals fees for testing, etc. and one night stay was under $5,000. So it is very possible to have a pregnancy with complications and still not hit the $20,000. Also helps to be able to pay in cash at the time of checkout. Saved them 20% in discount for paying upfront.
Negotiations prior to the birth can certainly save you $$$, as can paying quickly in cash. It's a minefield, though, and more so for someone fresh off the boat who doesn't understand that walking into a hospital requires the same rules of caution as entering a car dealership.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Wow I have to check that out with my daughter and her friends and my friends with their daughters. Everyone we know delivered a baby when the child announced it was ready to be born. Perhaps they need to change doctors so they can have their children at their convenience rather than at the baby's whim. You know, when the hard pains hit and the water breaks.
Well thats what I've seen happen all to much IMHO.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:48 pm
'mon the cowboys

texas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond reputetexas_ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Timely question, with us just having given birth to our second son on Saturday.
We are both UK citizens, on E-1 visas.
Our Son has his US birth certificate already.

I'm sure Mrs Texas Ranger (Texas Mom) will be on to offer some advice when she is on her feet again.

C
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Negotiations prior to the birth can certainly save you $$$, as can paying quickly in cash. It's a minefield, though, and more so for someone fresh off the boat who doesn't understand that walking into a hospital requires the same rules of caution as entering a car dealership.

Most certainly agree with you on that.

Wonder if the OP will be covered for the pregnancy. If she became pregnant after coverage started, then 99.99% yes but if before it came into effect, she might be on the cash and carry plan.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:51 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texas_ranger
Timely question, with us just having given birth to our second son on Saturday.
We are both UK citizens, on E-1 visas.
Our Son has his US birth certificate already.

I'm sure Mrs Texas Ranger (Texas Mom) will be on to offer some advice when she is on her feet again.

C
Hey! You've got a couple threads to post in!

Congrats!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I know an English couple with 2 kids born here, they are both US citizens and have British passports as well.

Intervention in birth seems more commonplace here than in the UK, with less choice unless you're very determined.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I know an English couple with 2 kids born here, they are both US citizens and have British passports as well.

Intervention in birth seems more commonplace here than in the UK, with less choice unless you're very determined.
Thankyou Sally, so you've noticed that too.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texas_ranger
With a nearly 9 lb baby I'm sure that might take a while!

Congrats!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
Thankyou Sally, so you've noticed that too.
I met a woman, hope she won't mind me mentioning her as she does look in I think, who had 5 kids in Britain problem-free, the 6th one here which she said was a nightmare (due to unwanted intervention).
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishlass7
Yes, how did you guess?

You said Oil. And we've had an influx of people here (BE) either living in or moving to Houston in the past couple months. I just guessed.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I had both my girls in the US and both of my labours were induced (using pitocin, you KNOW your in labour when your given that ).
Both of my girls are US citizens.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP. I also wanted to go back to england to have my eldest however I really wanted her dad to be there to share her birth so keep this in mind... even if you have a trouble free pregnancy most airlines will not allow you to fly after your 36 weeks along, some do allow up to 38 with a doctors note, they will also not allow baby to fly until he/she is 7 days old. Births that are not induced are unpredictable esp first babies. Given vacation days in the US and you likely having to be in the UK for several weeks it would be quite unlikely that dad could be there.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:40 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I had both my girls in the US and both of my labours were induced (using pitocin, you KNOW your in labour when your given that ).
Both of my girls are US citizens.
Our first was induced. Our second was running late enough that they set a date to be induced. I swear my wife did everything she could to beat that date! She did NOT want that Pitocin again. She ended up going into labor the day before she was to be induced. Unfortunately it was 2 in the morning and I was drunk, but that's another story.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Our first was induced. Our second was running late enough that they set a date to be induced. I swear my wife did everything she could to beat that date! She did NOT want that Pitocin again. She ended up going into labor the day before she was to be induced. Unfortunately it was 2 in the morning and I was drunk, but that's another story.
Pitocin is EVIL
Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Unfortunately it was 2 in the morning and I was drunk, but that's another story.
With my second daughter I was in labour for 26 hours, before I got my epidurial I was given 2 shots of Stadol, that was bloody good stuff, I felt like I had drunk half a bottle of whiskey and the felling hits within 4 or 5 seconds of it being injected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.