Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Biggest Mistake ? / Confessions of a Englishmen

The Biggest Mistake ? / Confessions of a Englishmen

Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Biggest Mistake ? / Confessions of a Englishmen

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Hello everyone ,
Ill try to keep this short ..

So after like 45 minutes of typing this i guess what I'm really asking is, has anyone went through anything similar to us ? I met a boy my age on the internet my age that went thought the EXACT same situation as mine, so i guess that answered my question already but i just wanted to share my experience with you.

Oh crap i feel like i have just exposed my life but i just had to get it out there and ask

Cheers
Hey Steve,

If people had no problems moving from the UK to other countries, I expect that the number of threads in these forums would be considerably fewer in number (and a lot less interesting)

If you look at the "Moving Back to the UK" section, you'll see a huge number of people who have made the move and have either come across a crappy situation or have since realised the error of their way.

A lot of people come over with the Hollywood image of the US with streets lined with blossoming trees, everyone waving to one another, perfect little gardens...etc... The very obvious truth is that it's an invented reality done to sell the supposed best features of Brand USA to the world. If you want to see the fabrication of the US for the media, look at the soap operas on TV each day... Based on my own experiences, the vivid reality of life shown in shows like Eastenders and Coronation Street is regarded as a very wierd idea to many Americans.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think that everyone goes through a realignment of reality when they get over here and it either goes well or they go back to the UK.

Personally, I had a lot of issues in my first two years. It took me a long time to accept the differences and even longer to adjust to them - Some people might suggest I still haven't accepted or adjusted to some differences.

-Simon
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:13 am
Just Joined

edgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really nice

Just a quick note 'cos I think we have a similar history...

I was thrown into Philadelphia but I have also spent time too in Erie PA, it's a lot gentler, but a bit more... how can I say this delicately... hick.. now I've done it!

Came to the US at 12, hit the 7th grade like a brick wall. I left the UK feeling pretty positive about coming to the US. That year was the worst, I was the butt of every joke and malicious trick ever. 8th grade sucked, 10th got a little better as I went into high school. Fell in love a couple of times and got fried to a crisp for it. School work was a breeze because I coasted on what I had learned in the UK... in 10th grade the knowledge ran out and my grades slipped and I burned up 11 & 12 grade. Sound familiar so far....

By 12th grade I had gained enough "coolness" though to make life better good but it was a long time coming.

I then graduated and screwed up getting into college so I went back to the UK (London) and tried to get 'A' Levels and get into University... a complete disaster and got labeled as a Yank and was outside with pretty everyone. The US started to look like it was a better time. Before I went back to the UK I got my US citizenship, If you can swing it I recommend it so that you can get back (you have a US father, there should be a route)

In London I fell in with a lot of Ex-Pat Americans, the best friends I have ever had, faithful, true, and solid - truly the salt of the earth.

Then I came back to the US for college because I couldn't get into any UK Universities, my High School Grades were a disaster, my A levels were worse but I managed to get a scholarship on the strength of being English and life got better.

In my old home town in the US I was welcomed home as a hero, a guest star at the parties and one of the girls that had broken my heart changed her mind and wanted me as a trophy (she broke my heart within a week, but lets not go there....)

In college the world changed and very soon became one of the "big men on campus" not because I was an athlete or any of that crap, just because I was "different",,, life got good.

In short kiddo, Americans can be cruel and brutal but they can also be the best friends you will ever had. My American friends have stuck with me through thick and thin. My British friends tend to drift away over time.

Just a quick synopses but I think we have a lot in common and have gone through a lot of the same abuse.

Let me know if I can help.... I think I have travelled a similar route.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:34 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by edgeog
Just a quick note 'cos I think we have a similar history...

I was thrown into Philadelphia but I have also spent time too in Erie PA, it's a lot gentler, but a bit more... how can I say this delicately... hick.. now I've done it!

Came to the US at 12, hit the 7th grade like a brick wall. I left the UK feeling pretty positive about coming to the US. That year was the worst, I was the butt of every joke and malicious trick ever. 8th grade sucked, 10th got a little better as I went into high school. Fell in love a couple of times and got fried to a crisp for it. School work was a breeze because I coasted on what I had learned in the UK... in 10th grade the knowledge ran out and my grades slipped and I burned up 11 & 12 grade. Sound familiar so far....

By 12th grade I had gained enough "coolness" though to make life better good but it was a long time coming.

It funny what how you described Erie as a hick town because my mum calls it that all the time Yes that pretty much my exact story, except about the love part.

11th grade was the turning point for me. That was when i got my, as you described it "Coolness" and i know exactly what you mean by that. I became far far more outspoken and way more confident. Thanks for sharing that with me and yes i think we do have a lot in common.

I knew there had to be more people who came to this country at my age.
Like i said in my original post, I have met older British people that have come here to live with their husbands but never any younger kids. I think people like us that arrived here as youngsters have lived a very unique life. I'm sure you understand and have already thought of that before.

Cheers for the response
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Hello everyone ,
Ill try to keep this short ..

I found this forum two days ago and i have been looking at different threads since then. Mostly i look for ones where people talk about different experience they have had while living here, what they like and dislike about living in the states , that sort of topic.
I guess the real thing i have been trying to find out is do most British people that move to this country hate it as much as i do? Or am i a very small minority within our group? I really always wanted to know but have never been able to since i have only run into a couple of older English people during my time here. All of them were women

I came here when i was 12 in early 2004 with my mum and our Staffy to live with my American father. I thought life would be easy once we came here and everything would be fine. Stories that i heard from my parents about America sort of gave me this image in my head of it being a near utopia.

I thought we were going to have a nice house, a house like other houses i had seen everywhere when i came here for a holiday a few years earlier. We arrived to a crappy little run down place where i still live today (In far better condition i will say). I started school in 7th grade here and thought the kids would know about England and that i would fit in well. Well i have to say i have never been taken the piss out of more in my life than in school in America. I have never really admitted it before but from 7th - 10 grade i was just entertainment for a lot of people. I left high school a few months ago.

Mum hasn't enjoyed her stay here either and the falling apart of the relationship with my father hasn't helped at all. I think she feels kind of silly and embarrassed coming all the way here only to have her marriage fail. To mover her and her son here for all this to happen. Sometimes i think we are the only ones that moved away from home to a bad situation. **I guess it was a mistake to move here

So after like 45 minutes of typing this i guess what I'm really asking is, has anyone went through anything similar to us ? I met a boy my age on the internet my age that went thought the EXACT same situation as mine, so i guess that answered my question already but i just wanted to share my experience with you.

Oh crap i feel like i have just exposed my life but i just had to get it out there and ask

Cheers
Yes, you are not alone, in regards to people poking fun of your accent or British ways, after a while you learn to just ignore it because some people are just plain ignorant.

I do not regret moving over and I made the choice, I can always go back if I get fed up.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:36 pm
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChelleyP
I am American (age 28 now) and went through the US high school system and can tell you that it was fairly brutal for me too. All those high school movies (Pretty In Pink, Mean Girls, etc...) are not far off from the truth. There is a system of cliques (sp?), a hierarchy of popularity, and tons of bullying.

It looks like from your original post that you have dropped out of school...? You definitely need to go back because you will get no where in life without a high school diploma. (Sorry if I sound like your mother here.. but it is true).

The truth is... after high school life gets MUCH better... if you go on to university you will see that there is no popularity ranking, etc... and you will make good friends and have loads of fun and high school will be a distant memory and seem like a joke.

In addition... you will be a much stronger person with more character than all the popular beautiful kids who are used to having everything on a plate for them.

If America IS really that terrible for you... well at least get your diploma and when you are 18 you can move back to the UK on your own.

Don't give up!
But the Pound is falling. The cost of living in the UK is just way too expensive. Cost to wage ratio is too high. It is very difficult to save money in the UK compared to US or Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

ChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Umpatan
But the Pound is falling. The cost of living in the UK is just way too expensive. Cost to wage ratio is too high. It is very difficult to save money in the UK compared to US or Canada.
I don't see how your reply is relevant to this thread...
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChelleyP
I don't see how your reply is relevant to this thread...
It's not; that is his habit. Please use the 'report' button so mods know when/where this user is doing this if it is a problem.