Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rogers Wireless Cancellation charges!!!!!!

Rogers Wireless Cancellation charges!!!!!!

Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

hippy chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rogers Wireless Cancellation charges!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me if they managed to get Rogers to waive cancellation charges on their cell phones????

I have spent 3 hrs on the phone to them today and they REFUSE to waive it even though I will be leaving Canada.....

They want $800 plus tax to cancel

I have basically told them that if they dont waive the fees, then i won't be paying what i owe on the final bill.....

Has anyone been in this situation....
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:13 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rogers Wireless Cancellation charges!!!!!!

Originally Posted by hippy chick View Post
Can anyone tell me if they managed to get Rogers to waive cancellation charges on their cell phones????

I have spent 3 hrs on the phone to them today and they REFUSE to waive it even though I will be leaving Canada.....

I have basically told them that if they dont waive the fees, then i won't be paying what i owe on the final bill.....

Not in your situation, but I am with Rogers and find them to be the most unhelpful, un-understanding bunch of people I have ever come across!!!!!!!

Hate to say it but think you will have to pay their cancellation charges (thought the max they could charge was $400 though or are you cancelling 2 phones?)

Even when we have threatened to go to another provider here, they do not budge an inch, so really doubt they care about you moving Country.

Hope you manage to get it sorted, but I don't hold out much hope for you
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

hippy chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply Steve & Tanya...

Its for 2 cell phones... What dont they understand? Pay my bill...or get nothing!!!! They said...nothing!!!!! I have all the call logs for references.

They are the most frustrating people to deal with....
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:27 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Its for 2 cell phones... What dont they understand? Pay my bill...or get nothing!!!! They said...nothing!!!!! I have all the call logs for references.

Our Rogers guy, when we told him that we might leave Canada before the end of the 3 year contract said 'dont worry about it! Cancellation fees arn't that much(I think $800 is very steep!) and they're not going to bother chasing you to England If you choose not to pay it." I suppose its up to you what you do, I dont know if he's right, I take it you signed an agreement which stated there would be cancellation fees, so you shouldnt be suprised if they try to get them from you.

Good luck with it

Tasha
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

When I left I got someone to take over my contract. It was with Aliant in NS but they were quite happy to change it into someone elses name. It was a few years back now but its something to consider.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:58 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't leave them a forwarding address...and cancel any direct debits you possibly had with them...Problem solved.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletashy View Post
I take it you signed an agreement which stated there would be cancellation fees, so you shouldnt be suprised if they try to get them from you.
That's the crux really - if you are breaking a contract, then they have every right to charge - and why would they want to waive it?

If there is no contract, then keep up the polite pleading and see where it gets you - you never know ....

Originally Posted by livermanl View Post
Just don't leave them a forwarding address...and cancel any direct debits you possibly had with them...Problem solved.
That's one solution I suppose! I'd never advocate this when leaving the UK - you never know when it might come back to bite you on the backside. So I'd be the same when leaving Canada. You don't know what is ahead three years down the road. Why risk it for a few hundred quid?

It's the contract part that is relevant.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:16 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m View Post
That's one solution I suppose! I'd never advocate this when leaving the UK - you never know when it might come back to bite you on the backside. So I'd be the same when leaving Canada. You don't know what is ahead three years down the road. Why risk it for a few hundred quid?

It's not a nice thing to do and I have never personally done it but $800 to come out of a contract is very steep...But then at the same time you did sign the contract and I am sure they made it very clear that should you get rid of your service you would have to pay this.

The biggest problem with living in Canada is you never really have much of a choice when it comes to TV, Internet and Phone service there is normally only 2/3 companies per province and it doesn't make it an easy time to try and enforce consumer power.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:21 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl View Post
It's not a nice thing to do and I have never personally done it but $800 to come out of a contract is very steep...But then at the same time you did sign the contract and I am sure they made it very clear that should you get rid of your service you would have to pay this.

The biggest problem with living in Canada is you never really have much of a choice when it comes to TV, Internet and Phone service there is normally only 2/3 companies per province and it doesn't make it an easy time to try and enforce consumer power.
Did you also get free cellphones with this contract because if so, the high fees may be to cover the cost of those.

I used Rogers when I first arrived here. I used my UK mobile phone with a Rogers SIM card (18 month contract @ $40 per month package). 6 months later I cancelled my contract with them because the signal in my town was quite poor - my cellphone only worked in certain rooms in my house and didn't even work in the local mall. Rogers were great about it and I was not charged a cancellation fee but remember it was my own cellphone to start with.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:00 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do View Post
Did you also get free cellphones with this contract because if so, the high fees may be to cover the cost of those.

I used Rogers when I first arrived here. I used my UK mobile phone with a Rogers SIM card (18 month contract @ $40 per month package). 6 months later I cancelled my contract with them because the signal in my town was quite poor - my cellphone only worked in certain rooms in my house and didn't even work in the local mall. Rogers were great about it and I was not charged a cancellation fee but remember it was my own cellphone to start with.
A FREE cellphone from Rogers?! They don't like giving anything away that lot!!!!!!!

Hubby called them yesterday as only has 2 months left on his contract and has found a better offer with Bell (free phone for starters when Rogers want $300 for a similar phone) Told them the situation and Rogers didn't care! So he will be paying them the $40 cancellation charge and will be going with Bell.

At the end of the day though the OP did sign up with Rogers for what must have been 2 or 3 year contract (to have the maxium cancellation charges apply) and the do make you aware of the cancellation charges at the time. Yes circumstances change, but Rogers will not care.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:08 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Some years ago we were with Telus.....same scenario, but they took the view that because they couldn't continue to provide a service once we left Canada, regardless of the fact that it was our choice to leave, we would not have cancellation charges. Bell also allowed us to break the contract for the landline on the same grounds. So I suppose it all depends on the company. I'd heard so many negative stories about Rogers when we first went to Canada, so steered clear of them.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ann m View Post
That's the crux really - if you are breaking a contract, then they have every right to charge - and why would they want to waive it?

If there is no contract, then keep up the polite pleading and see where it gets you - you never know ....

Totally agree....
Rogers are a pain. BUT....There is a contract involved and although you can probably never imagine setting foot in Canada again once you leave, what if something changes?? That sort of debt could probably screw up your credit rating...

Also, frankly it is just bad Karma to run out on a debt...To me anyway...

Good luck with everything
Old Mar 25th 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

How about advertising the phones on Craigslist? If you can get someone to buy up the cellphones AND Rogers contract, then get Rogers just to change the owner details.. that might work for you.

Otherwise, I would find out the names and addresses of the Chairman and main executives and email and write each one with your sob story... x died, job lost, kids in hospital, have to go back to UK, no money to pay... etc. and hope that a real person (as opposed to contract worker reading from relentless script) may take pity on you.