Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:14 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Originally Posted by rushman
I'm 6'3" and was cramped on all flights in cattle class but when checking in I stand on tip toes as I explain to the check in clerk behind the deak that I am 6'6" and can I please have an emergency exit seat.
I either get the seat or have been lucky enough to have been upgraded to Parker Knoll class on more than one occasion
OK, I'm 6'3" too and always hint at the upgrade thing when I check in but have never been successful.
Any tips for making it to the promised land of 1st class. Do you usually travel smartly dressed ??? (I'm always in jeans)
Do you really try it on with the check-in staff ?? (I usually make subtle hints but nothing else)

As I'm flying home with American in 2 weeks i'd appreciate a few pointers from a master
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:57 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

I lost it with Virgin Atlantic about 3 years ago. The first and only time i flew them. I was flying to JFK outta heathrow and all seemed fairly good, noticed that the entertainment system was far superior than BA's and thought this could be good, the food was so so and leg room nothing to write home about, but i figured might well have been worth the price, until we are circling the NY area. The captain comes over the loud speaker and tells us theres a large storm and we can't land, so we are circling. OK not a huge deal, maybe an hr later, he comes back on and tells us we will be landing in Newark instead of JFK, ok at this point im getting a lil annoyed but not getting angry yet. Then 5 mins later he gets on and tells us that there is not enough fuel to get to newark, so we are flying to boston to refuel, at that point practically the whole plane started to give the typical wtfs. So we land in boston, and we are already 3 hrs past our scheduled arrival. So we are all asking the flight attendants if the people on the ground were going to be notified of what was going on. They said if we wrote out a name, number and message they would contact them all. So we did, and it relieved me a little, as i had my bf and his family waiting there for me (first time i was gonna meet his parents). So after a very long wait at logan airport, stuck on the plane, we finally take off and get to jfk. Arriving now 8 hrs late and having to get through a ridiculously long immigration line. Well i got in, and it turned out that VA never contacted anyone waiting for the flight to come in, in fact they told them all we were in newark, was only because my now father in law is a cop, that he managed to get the information that we were sent to boston. Was probably the worst flight ever, not only because of what happened, but the misinformation that was given throughout. Since i have only ever flied BA and AA, for domestic american flights i have to say jet blue is the best, i wish they were in the midwest now and that they will decide to do international flights.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
Don't any of you book your seat when you book your ticket? I always have done. Go to seatguru.com which will tell you where the worst and best seats are. And Orbitz will tell you what seats are already booked.
Here's a useful site http://www.v-flyer.com/ . There's an area where you can click on the seat map to see travelers comments about that particular seat. You really should pre-book your seats.....on ANY airline.

The OP might want to post some comments in the forum on the v-flyer site too. I know that Virgin employees sometimes monitor this forum and reply/comment.

Personally, I wish Virgin would start flying to DFW. I have enough FF miles for 6 roundtrips
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Virgin has been charging for emergency exit seats for at least a couple of years....it was either $75 or 75 pounds last time I checked....
I remember when the exit seats were free ... I was told you could only get one at check in so to arrive early. On one flight I was the first person to check in and yet all the exit seats were taken!! There was no explanation as to how all the exit seats had been taken when I was the first one to check in, so I figured that they must be giving them out to their friends.

When they started charging for them, it didn't matter what time I checked in, I always got an exit seat, so I was more than happy to pay. The only thing I did find odd was that it cost considerably more for an exit seat UK to US, than vice versa. Of course, the only downside to an exit seat was that they all seem to be situated right next to the toilets, so you end up having people queueing beside you for the entire flight ... hearing the toilet being flushed and sometimes being subjected to unpleasant aromas for an eleven hour flight!

My husband is 6' 3" and he was always given an exit seat FOC without asking! Also, if you happen to be a police officer that guarantees you an upgrade to first class as long as all the seats are not already taken.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always try for the front row with the bulkhead.

Often they give those seats to those with babies, but if they do ask you to move they will often move you up friont if they have a seat.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:53 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I remember when the exit seats were free ... I was told you could only get one at check in so to arrive early. On one flight I was the first person to check in and yet all the exit seats were taken!! There was no explanation as to how all the exit seats had been taken when I was the first one to check in, so I figured that they must be giving them out to their friends.
From what I've read, they never allocate exit seats to people unless there are special circumstances like height etc. They like to keep them free (if the flight isn't full) so the exit is always clear in an emergency.

I still don't understand why people don't book their seats in advance? It saves a whole lot of hassle and means you can check in any time without worry. Having said that, I've racked up enough miles and always travel on upgrades now so have forgotten what it's like to travel with you plebs
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite airline by far is BA, I have never had any problems with them in air. My only complaint is the check in process at Heathrow, far too chaotic. The worst flight I've ever had by far was Air Lingus. I would not wish to fly with them again, once we had our meal the Air Stewards went into their area and never came out. I had to go up to them and ask for a drink! You would think I had asked for the crown jewells by their reaction.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Originally Posted by ladylisa
My favourite airline by far is BA, I have never had any problems with them in air. My only complaint is the check in process at Heathrow, far too chaotic.
All you need to do is go to http://www.ba.com and go to the 'manage my booking' section. For economy class passengers you can check in in online within 12 hours of your flight departing,,,,then all you need to do when you get to Heathrow, Newark or wherever they allow you to do so is to go to the "Fast Bag Drop" area to deposit any suitcases you are checking in. Much faster than standing in a queue...especially at T4 when the flights are going all over the planet. First and Business Class passengers can check-in online 24 hours ahead.

Actually my husband was recently in a taxi in central London on his way to Paddington for the Heathrow Express. He was running late (as usual) and phoned me in New Jersey and asked me to go to the PC and check him in online otherwise he wouldn't have made his flight! Lucky for him that I was at home. He made the flight by the skin of his teeth....but his checked in bag didn't and they had to courier it to our house the next day LOL!

[/QUOTE]
The worst flight I've ever had by far was Air Lingus. I would not wish to fly with them again, once we had our meal the Air Stewards went into their area and never came out. I had to go up to them and ask for a drink! You would think I had asked for the crown jewells by their reaction.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. that was exactly the same experience I had on the Virgin flight....pretty much the whole economy cabin crew just cleared off for a very long time - they were all a very young crew and couldn't care less. On the other hand, all the cabin crews on American/Continental Airlines seem to be getting on and almost ready for retirement and can be very grouchy and rude.

The nicest crews are on Asian airlines. Singapore Airlines will only employ female cabin staff weighing 47 kilos or less and very few are past their mid-30s except for a few very experienced attendants in First Class. The airline really plays on the image of the 'Singapore Girl'....
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite airline by far is BA, I have never had any problems with them in air. My only complaint is the check in process at Heathrow, far too chaotic. The worst flight I've ever had by far was Air Lingus. I would not wish to fly with them again, once we had our meal the Air Stewards went into their area and never came out. I had to go up to them and ask for a drink! You would think I had asked for the crown jewells by their reaction.
Aer lingus are like easyjet long haul. Service is absolute pish - usually takes about an hour for them to collect the trays after the meal.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:32 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

BA is definitely one the better airlines, i find though that for checking in, it is bar far the best, due to the fact its in T4, as with aa or va T3 can be a nightmare depending on when you're flying, for an aa flight i got there 3 hrs early and it took me an over an hr and a half to get through check in, very frustrating, as i hadda go straight through security. Never flown Air Lingus, but i have heard nothing but bad stories about them, seems that all attendants should remember, that us passengers are customers (in economy or first class) and the customer is always right LOL (or nearly always lol)
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Aer lingus are like easyjet long haul. Service is absolute pish - usually takes about an hour for them to collect the trays after the meal.
My mum once flew into Newark with Aer Lingus (they stopped this route after 11th Sept) and raved about how they make a lovely cup of tea LOL!

My mum can be so embarrassing. She came out to visit us in Singapore (almost a 14 hour flight) and she loves her tea - the kettle is always on at her house. She knows that you only get a small cuppa on planes.....so she took a large mug from home on board with her....and yes, she managed to get it filled by the flight attendants!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:34 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My mum once flew into Newark with Aer Lingus (they stopped this route after 11th Sept) and raved about how they make a lovely cup of tea LOL!

My mum can be so embarrassing. She came out to visit us in Singapore (almost a 14 hour flight) and she loves her tea - the kettle is always on at her house. She knows that you only get a small cuppa on planes.....so she took a large mug from home on board with her....and yes, she managed to get it filled by the flight attendants!
By the sounds of things you're pretty well travelled EM.
Any tips on how to get upgraded - I never seem to have too much success
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
By the sounds of things you're pretty well travelled EM.
Any tips on how to get upgraded - I never seem to have too much success
Generally they work their way down the hierachy in their frequent flyer club.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:37 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Boiler
Generally they work their way down the hierachy in their frequent flyer club.

Also doesn't hurt to look the part!!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:42 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Also doesn't hurt to look the part!!
Yeah, that's what i was wondering about. I always travel in jeans. No chance of me doning a whistle for an 8 hour flight on the off chance that i get upgraded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.