Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Has anyone been watching that series on BBC America called the "Mile High: Frequent Flyers Club"? I was watching it last night and I'm wondering which airline it's based on.....one guy seemed to think he was 'Sick Boy' from the Trainspotting movie. It's on at 10pm tonight.

I was flying with Virgin from Newark to LHR on a morning flight and in the Airbus they had some sort of crew area below the main cabin. I was in the emergency exit row and was astonished (and peeved) to see that most of the flight attendants disappeared down the hatch for a couple of hours....heard lots of giggling going on so God knows what was going on down there but they seemed to be partying hard.....
Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was in the emergency exit row and was astonished (and peeved) to see that most of the flight attendants disappeared down the hatch for a couple of hours....heard lots of giggling going on so God knows what was going on down there but they seemed to be partying hard.....

They do have an area with bunk beds below the passenger area for the cabin crew to sleep on night flights. Depending on the length of the flight they normally get a couple of hours break during it, normally in 2 shifts so that some are always available for the passengers.

They do party hard but without alcohol on the plane - different story when they reach their destination though!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin Airlines, lost it for me several years ago. Frankly, prefer BA or AA. We flew VA Feb 2005, again "We got ripped off twice" once with the extra charges for 3 exit door seats. We then did not get any air miles, their reason, we had discounted seat prices? Leg room stinks. Half the backseat entertainment sets, do not work. They run out of food choice, halfway up the plane, if you dare to ask nicely "Why", they give you major attitude.
The Aura, given out by Richard Branson, "We are the greatest, everyone loves us", and yet in the real world, the public, I constantly hear complaints.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:44 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
oooh a whole 1000 air miles..that should be enough to get you at least..ooohh say....to the end of the runway.
Yeah, a 1000 air miles, really isn't anything to write home about, you usually can't use them til you have at least 5000.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't aiming that comment at you, more towards the fact that the whole air miles scam pisses me off. They should call them "Air inches". According to all the sources I checked its a round trip of around 7000 miles from JFK to Heathrow..so how many air miles should I need.....16,000 odd??? WTF is all that about? Are we going via the moon?
I agree, airlines are scheming b*stards!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:57 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Has anyone been watching that series on BBC America called the "Mile High: Frequent Flyers Club"? I was watching it last night and I'm wondering which airline it's based on.....one guy seemed to think he was 'Sick Boy' from the Trainspotting movie. It's on at 10pm tonight.

I was flying with Virgin from Newark to LHR on a morning flight and in the Airbus they had some sort of crew area below the main cabin. I was in the emergency exit row and was astonished (and peeved) to see that most of the flight attendants disappeared down the hatch for a couple of hours....heard lots of giggling going on so God knows what was going on down there but they seemed to be partying hard.....
I've seen the adverts on TV for it & I was thinking the exact same thing, just from the ad!!!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:01 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I agree, airlines are scheming b*stards!
THIS LINK explains how airlines decide how much to charge

Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:40 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Virgin Airlines, lost it for me several years ago. Frankly, prefer BA or AA. We flew VA Feb 2005, again "We got ripped off twice" once with the extra charges for 3 exit door seats. We then did not get any air miles, their reason, we had discounted seat prices? Leg room stinks. Half the backseat entertainment sets, do not work. They run out of food choice, halfway up the plane, if you dare to ask nicely "Why", they give you major attitude.
The Aura, given out by Richard Branson, "We are the greatest, everyone loves us", and yet in the real world, the public, I constantly hear complaints.
Reg. Frank R.

when did they start charging for exit row seats?, i always ask for them (for the extra leg room of course) and have never been asked to pay anything extra????

Ant
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:01 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I guess that Virgin are great then, ... but only for dwarves and those with both legs amputated above the knee! (I have never flown in a plane with as little leg room as I did on a Virgin 747 - talk about packing 'em in! )

I'm 6'3" and was cramped on all flights in cattle class but when checking in I stand on tip toes as I explain to the check in clerk behind the deak that I am 6'6" and can I please have an emergency exit seat.
I either get the seat or have been lucky enough to have been upgraded to Parker Knoll class on more than one occasion
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:06 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 6'3" and was cramped on all flights in cattle class but when checking in I stand on tip toes as I explain to the check in clerk behind the deak that I am 6'6" and can I please have an emergency exit seat.
I either get the seat or have been lucky enough to have been upgraded to Parker Knoll class on more than one occasion
That sounds familiar, I used to fly Virgin all the time to Chicago, until they stopped flying there! Managed to get to a flying club silver card, which is a good way of getting upgrades or exit/bulkhead seats. As I recall 6 round trip flights got you a free flight in cattle class.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

We have never paid for door seats before "Ever". First time was Feb 2005, Virgin & return. My son is 6'4", Virgin has the worst leg room.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by frrussre
We have never paid for door seats before "Ever". First time was Feb 2005, Virgin & return. My son is 6'4", Virgin has the worst leg room.
Reg. Frank R.
I've never paid for door seats and I wouldn't.

If my son was 6'4" and uncomfortable for a seven hour flight I'd tell him he was lucky.

He's made my life "less" comfortable for a lot longer than seven poxy hours.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Beware Virgin Atlantic!!!

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
That sounds familiar, I used to fly Virgin all the time to Chicago, until they stopped flying there! Managed to get to a flying club silver card, which is a good way of getting upgrades or exit/bulkhead seats. As I recall 6 round trip flights got you a free flight in cattle class.
I can remember when Virgin Atlantic first started up as my husband was regularly flying between LHR and New York on business. In those days they didn't have a frequent flyers scheme......Upper Class passengers got a free (economy) voucher for *each* flight and you could give them to anyone to use! My sister was given four vouchers from my husband when she got married and they flew to the US for their honeymoon.

The vouchers were only worth about 20 pounds if you wanted to use them at the Virgin Megastore....I actually did cash in a couple of vouchers which were about to expire as I was heavily pregnant and couldn't fly....the shop assistant was shocked when I used them to buy a couple of CD's!

It is annoying for Eastern seaboard residents that airlines ask you to cash in the same no. of airmiles to cross the Atlantic even though the distance is vast....for example Continental wants 50,000 airmiles from say, New York to London and the same no. of airmiles from Los Angeles to London....

Virgin has been charging for emergency exit seats for at least a couple of years....it was either $75 or 75 pounds last time I checked....
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 6'3" and was cramped on all flights in
Just call me the dwarf...
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:44 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Don't any of you book your seat when you book your ticket? I always have done. Go to seatguru.com which will tell you where the worst and best seats are. And Orbitz will tell you what seats are already booked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.