Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC I-Player

BBC I-Player

Old Jul 31st 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all
Default Re: BBC I-Player

Originally Posted by dinosaur
As mentioned in another thread, there's a petition to the PM to get the BBC iPlayer available to all platforms (reading between the lines without DRM and hence open to all). At least nothing lost by signing it...
Thanks for the link. Problem with the petition is that it is people getting upset about the fact that they are starting off the iPlayer for just Windows XP users, but I don't think that is that big a deal -- they are planning to make it available for Mac users and Windows Vista and others in due course. So I am not inclined to sign it. I don't see any plans ever to make it available to international users, and that's the problem for me. The DRM issue won't change things -- the BBC block international users by sniffing out their ISP, and they are very good at doing that.

Out of interest, where was the other thread on this? I must have missed it.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Goodacre
Thanks for the link. Problem with the petition is that it is people getting upset about the fact that they are starting off the iPlayer for just Windows XP users, but I don't think that is that big a deal -- they are planning to make it available for Mac users and Windows Vista and others in due course. So I am not inclined to sign it. I don't see any plans ever to make it available to international users, and that's the problem for me. The DRM issue won't change things -- the BBC block international users by sniffing out their ISP, and they are very good at doing that.
My take is that the process of opening up and not tying to a Windows platform is essential, and am quite disappointed with the BBC for taking that route. Also going with DRM seems to be flying in the face of current trends, especially as the DRM used is Microsoft's, which, given their history, is perhaps not the best choice.

The BBC is such an important presence on the Web that their going with an open, DRM-free standard would have made a big statement - others would probably follow. So I'm all for the petition. As for the international user block, if they don't make some sort of subscription available, I sense an opportunity for someone to provide high speed proxy connections. In a way, what's the difference between that and IP phone companies like Skype offering US residents British phone numbers...??

Out of interest, where was the other thread on this? I must have missed it.
Here, though it wasn't very long.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

My take is that the process of opening up and not tying to a Windows platform is essential, and am quite disappointed with the BBC for taking that route. Also going with DRM seems to be flying in the face of current trends, especially as the DRM used is Microsoft's, which, given their history, is perhaps not the best choice.

The BBC is such an important presence on the Web that their going with an open, DRM-free standard would have made a big statement - others would probably follow. So I'm all for the petition. As for the international user block, if they don't make some sort of subscription available, I sense an opportunity for someone to provide high speed proxy connections. In a way, what's the difference between that and IP phone companies like Skype offering US residents British phone numbers...??.
Thanks for the link to the other thread, which I had missed. Yes, I suppose I agree with you; but I'm just not surprised that they are going that route given experience in the past with their streaming. They are releasing to Macs in due course. I suppose I find it difficult to get really exercised about that issue given the bigger issue of blocking to international users.

I wonder what the American TV companies do? ABC, NBC et al have these fantastic downloads available of their programmes. Are they US-only? I bet they are given the big prices UK TV companies pay for showing them over there, but perhaps not? What do ABC et al do re. the platform thing? Are they Windows only too?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:39 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

I wonder what the American TV companies do? ABC, NBC et al have these fantastic downloads available of their programmes. Are they US-only? I bet they are given the big prices UK TV companies pay for showing them over there, but perhaps not? What do ABC et al do re. the platform thing? Are they Windows only too?
It's the same story with ABC, NBC et al. international users are blocked, but that's hardly an issue due to syndication fees gained from overseas sources who buy the programmes.

Which I why I don't understand why they won't allow some sort of subscription service for the I-Player. Only BBC America tends to screen their programmes and to my knowledge, apart from the documentaries, the BBC doesn't really sell their shows to foreign stations.

It could potentially be a great revenue stream for the BBC, extremely useful for expats and help change the face of International zoning laws (e.g. area 1, 2, 3 DVDs etc...)

THe issue of the platform does not really bother me, as I'm certain they'll be working on it, if not, I'm sure Windows and Mac would be happy to help.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

TI suppose I find it difficult to get really exercised about that issue given the bigger issue of blocking to international users
Thinking about it, if there were no DRM, then there would (I think) be no issue for someone in the UK retrieving a download and then posting it to a mirror site elsewhere geographically. Of course, there might be a fair-use issue, but there wouldn't be a technical issue. So removing the DRM might implicitly allow expat access.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thinking about it, if there were no DRM, then there would (I think) be no issue for someone in the UK retrieving a download and then posting it to a mirror site elsewhere geographically. Of course, there might be a fair-use issue, but there wouldn't be a technical issue. So removing the DRM might implicitly allow expat access.
I suppose so, though there wouldn't be a lot of point in doing that given the relative ease with which people upload programmes to bit torrent that they've capped from the broadcast.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I suppose so, though there wouldn't be a lot of point in doing that given the relative ease with which people upload programmes to bit torrent that they've capped from the broadcast.
Which I guess brings us to whether we need the iPlayer while uknova exists...
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Which I guess brings us to whether we need the iPlayer while uknova exists...
Right! But don't you feel a bit of residual guilt on torrenting? I justify it by saying, well, I would pay for this content if they would let me
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right! But don't you feel a bit of residual guilt on torrenting? I justify it by saying, well, I would pay for this content if they would let me
Indeed. Exactly my sentiments.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Skint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twiggy1984
Christ, it's nearly Spooks and Hustle season and I feel so naughty downloading things...
FYI, the entire new season of Hustle has been already been broadcast in its entirety in the US on AMC, the show now being a joint production between the Beeb and them.

No more Mickey, but still an engaging fun series
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:16 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NKY Jelly
FYI, the entire new season of Hustle has been already been broadcast in its entirety in the US on AMC, the show now being a joint production between the Beeb and them.

No more Mickey, but still an engaging fun series
No Mickey?? Boo.

My housemates and I all loved him as he used to live in the house behind us in East Dulwich and we could spy on him whilst he did his gardening.

And cheers for the link! now I just need to find a channel that picks spooks up....
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

No Mickey?? Boo.

My housemates and I all loved him as he used to live in the house behind us in East Dulwich and we could spy on him whilst he did his gardening.

And cheers for the link! now I just need to find a channel that picks spooks up....
Don't think there is one any longer for the latest Spooks, and they messed it up terribly (cutting it to 45 mins. etc.) when it was on here; now at least BBC America are showing it properly, but we are right back to series 1. So it looks like Bit Torrent for season 6 of Spooks.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:24 pm
Silly fool for love

Don't think there is one any longer for the latest Spooks, and they messed it up terribly (cutting it to 45 mins. etc.) when it was on here; now at least BBC America are showing it properly, but we are right back to series 1. So it looks like Bit Torrent for season 6 of Spooks.
However did expats cope before bit torrent??
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

However did expats cope before bit torrent??
Good point. Remember trying to pick up the World Service on SW prior to the BBC terminating their North American service. And being very excited when our local PBS station showed a British show which wasn't Benny Hill or Are You Being Served. And I looked forward to getting BBC America in around 1999...and then was very disappointed when it turned out to be so sh1te.

At least the web was invented *prior* to my emigration, so have never had issues with getting decent news coverage.

And now, Sirius in the car for BBC WS, footie and Radio 1, torrents for obscure documentaries...expats have it way too easy
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

jonhansen is an unknown quantity at this point

uknova.com and thebox.bz. You can get a ton of good stuff there. I've just finished watching the South Bank Show from last night all about June Whitfield -- wonderful.
Hmm, Can anyone out there let me have an invite for the box?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.