British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BBC I-Player (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bbc-i-player-469800/)

Goodacre Jul 29th 2007 2:02 am

BBC I-Player

So the BBC have released their new I-Player, and finally there is something that could genuinely benefit expats and, what happens? Blocked to international users. Here are the reasons given:

"Programmes will only be available to users within the UK for two reasons:

* the service is funded by UK TV licence payers
* copyright is only cleared for use within the UK for seven days after the first broadcast"

Well, bullet point 1 is easily solved -- if you want to use i-player, get a licence. Very straightforward. Loads of on-line content is paid for in the same way, and I would be delighted to pay the licence fee to get all the i-player content. And the BBC get more revenue. Win-win. Bullet-point 2 is also easily sorted out if bullet-point 1 is sorted out, and there are straightforward analogies like Willow TV for cricket, or the European sites for the football.

Adnams Jul 29th 2007 2:48 am

Re: BBC I-Player

Originally Posted by Goodacre (Post 5118881)
So the BBC have released their new I-Player, and finally there is something that could genuinely benefit expats and, what happens? Blocked to international users. Here are the reasons given:

"Programmes will only be available to users within the UK for two reasons:

* the service is funded by UK TV licence payers
* copyright is only cleared for use within the UK for seven days after the first broadcast"

Well, bullet point 1 is easily solved -- if you want to use i-player, get a licence. Very straightforward. Loads of on-line content is paid for in the same way, and I would be delighted to pay the licence fee to get all the i-player content. And the BBC get more revenue. Win-win. Bullet-point 2 is also easily sorted out if bullet-point 1 is sorted out, and there are straightforward analogies like Willow TV for cricket, or the European sites for the football.

All I want is for my logitech on line wireless thingimujig to work! :( Dont care about no i-player... :(

Goodacre Jul 29th 2007 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5118927)
All I want is for my logitech on line wireless thingimujig to work! :( Dont care about no i-player... :(

Full sympathies. It's infuriating when the technology won't work. Out of curiosity, what is a logitech on line wireless thing? Is it your wireless router?

Adnams Jul 29th 2007 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Goodacre (Post 5118951)
Full sympathies. It's infuriating when the technology won't work. Out of curiosity, what is a logitech on line wireless thing? Is it your wireless router?

Hi, Mr Adnams here, our Logitech Wireless DJ Music System basically plugs into a USB potr in our PC. Basically it streams anything from your PC (music , radio, cd's et alia) and the reciever plugs into your stereo.

It worked for months without any problem, now, we get interference. I think the problem is only the signal strength, I noticed in this humid weather, the signal strength is very erratic.

I'm not an electrical Engineer, but I think it could be something to do with that, any ideas ? Am I on the right track ? By the by, we live in an old brick house with propa plaster like.

Please advsie, muchos thankful in advacne before I hough it ootside.

Thanks.

Goodacre Jul 29th 2007 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5118960)
Hi, Mr Adnams here, our Logitech Wireless DJ Music System basically plugs into a USB potr in our PC. Basically it streams anything from your PC (music , radio, cd's et alia) and the reciever plugs into your stereo.

It worked for months without any problem, now, we get interference. I think the problem is only the signal strength, I noticed in this humid weather, the signal strength is very erratic.

I'm not an electrical Engineer, but I think it could be something to do with that, any ideas ? Am I on the right track ? By the by, we live in an old brick house with propa plaster like.

Please advsie, muchos thankful in advacne before I hough it ootside.

Thanks.

Very frustrating. Sounds like a brilliant device if it would work! Sorry, no great wisdom from me, only sympathy!

Adnams Jul 29th 2007 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Goodacre (Post 5118961)
Very frustrating. Sounds like a brilliant device if it would work! Sorry, no great wisdom from me, only sympathy!

Mrs Adnams here , it is fab when it bl**ding well works, which it did for the first four months we had it??? Wheres that mallet.......????????/

twiggy1984 Jul 31st 2007 1:16 am

I was wondering if any computer literate people could help out with this one...

Any chance some sort of a Proxy server that's come through the UK could help??

Ideas would be much appreciated.

As for paying the telly license, I'll be more than happy to send a cheque to the Beeb!

Christ, it's nearly Spooks and Hustle season and I feel so naughty downloading things...

Goodacre Jul 31st 2007 1:25 am

Originally Posted by twiggy1984 (Post 5127135)
I was wondering if any computer literate people could help out with this one...

Any chance some sort of a Proxy server that's come through the UK could help??

Ideas would be much appreciated.

As for paying the telly license, I'll be more than happy to send a cheque to the Beeb!

Christ, it's nearly Spooks and Hustle season and I feel so naughty downloading things...

Right, know what you mean, but are we expected to do? I've tried using a proxy server for other BBC stuff, e.g. Five Live Sports Extra when it's closed off to non-UK people, but I've not had any success yet. They are too good , it seems, at sniffing out the UK proxies. But if anyone else does have any success, I'd be glad to hear about it.

twiggy1984 Jul 31st 2007 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Goodacre (Post 5127162)
Right, know what you mean, but are we expected to do? I've tried using a proxy server for other BBC stuff, e.g. Five Live Sports Extra when it's closed off to non-UK people, but I've not had any success yet. They are too good , it seems, at sniffing out the UK proxies. But if anyone else does have any success, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Bittorrent it is then...

But honestly, I really wouldn't mind paying the beeb, I really do miss English telly.

Ah, Panorama how I long for thee

Goodacre Jul 31st 2007 1:55 am

Originally Posted by twiggy1984 (Post 5127187)
Bittorrent it is then...

But honestly, I really wouldn't mind paying the beeb, I really do miss English telly.

Ah, Panorama how I long for thee

Tried the Panorama vodcast? It's also on UKNova and TheBox pretty regularly.

twiggy1984 Jul 31st 2007 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Goodacre (Post 5127203)
Tried the Panorama vodcast? It's also on UKNova and TheBox pretty regularly.

UKNova? TheBox? Pray tell!

Goodacre Jul 31st 2007 3:36 am

Originally Posted by twiggy1984 (Post 5127235)
UKNova? TheBox? Pray tell!

uknova.com and thebox.bz. You can get a ton of good stuff there. I've just finished watching the South Bank Show from last night all about June Whitfield -- wonderful.

twiggy1984 Jul 31st 2007 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Goodacre (Post 5127447)
uknova.com and thebox.bz. You can get a ton of good stuff there. I've just finished watching the South Bank Show from last night all about June Whitfield -- wonderful.

Fabulous! Thank you so much!

I shall definitely seek them out! I've been relying on the wonders of bittorrent to aide my addiction. aaah the joys of finding new ways to procrastinate. However did we cope before the internets?

Sally Jul 31st 2007 6:08 am

What's wrong with back-to-back episodes of "As Time Goes By" on PBS? :lol:

dinosaur Jul 31st 2007 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by twiggy1984 (Post 5127187)

As mentioned in another thread, there's a petition to the PM to get the BBC iPlayer available to all platforms (reading between the lines without DRM and hence open to all). At least nothing lost by signing it...