Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC I-Player

BBC I-Player

Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all
Default BBC I-Player

So the BBC have released their new I-Player, and finally there is something that could genuinely benefit expats and, what happens? Blocked to international users. Here are the reasons given:

"Programmes will only be available to users within the UK for two reasons:

* the service is funded by UK TV licence payers
* copyright is only cleared for use within the UK for seven days after the first broadcast"

Well, bullet point 1 is easily solved -- if you want to use i-player, get a licence. Very straightforward. Loads of on-line content is paid for in the same way, and I would be delighted to pay the licence fee to get all the i-player content. And the BBC get more revenue. Win-win. Bullet-point 2 is also easily sorted out if bullet-point 1 is sorted out, and there are straightforward analogies like Willow TV for cricket, or the European sites for the football.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC I-Player

Originally Posted by Goodacre
So the BBC have released their new I-Player, and finally there is something that could genuinely benefit expats and, what happens? Blocked to international users. Here are the reasons given:

"Programmes will only be available to users within the UK for two reasons:

* the service is funded by UK TV licence payers
* copyright is only cleared for use within the UK for seven days after the first broadcast"

Well, bullet point 1 is easily solved -- if you want to use i-player, get a licence. Very straightforward. Loads of on-line content is paid for in the same way, and I would be delighted to pay the licence fee to get all the i-player content. And the BBC get more revenue. Win-win. Bullet-point 2 is also easily sorted out if bullet-point 1 is sorted out, and there are straightforward analogies like Willow TV for cricket, or the European sites for the football.
All I want is for my logitech on line wireless thingimujig to work! Dont care about no i-player...
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Adnams
All I want is for my logitech on line wireless thingimujig to work! Dont care about no i-player...
Full sympathies. It's infuriating when the technology won't work. Out of curiosity, what is a logitech on line wireless thing? Is it your wireless router?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Full sympathies. It's infuriating when the technology won't work. Out of curiosity, what is a logitech on line wireless thing? Is it your wireless router?
Hi, Mr Adnams here, our Logitech Wireless DJ Music System basically plugs into a USB potr in our PC. Basically it streams anything from your PC (music , radio, cd's et alia) and the reciever plugs into your stereo.

It worked for months without any problem, now, we get interference. I think the problem is only the signal strength, I noticed in this humid weather, the signal strength is very erratic.

I'm not an electrical Engineer, but I think it could be something to do with that, any ideas ? Am I on the right track ? By the by, we live in an old brick house with propa plaster like.

Please advsie, muchos thankful in advacne before I hough it ootside.

Thanks.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Adnams
Hi, Mr Adnams here, our Logitech Wireless DJ Music System basically plugs into a USB potr in our PC. Basically it streams anything from your PC (music , radio, cd's et alia) and the reciever plugs into your stereo.

It worked for months without any problem, now, we get interference. I think the problem is only the signal strength, I noticed in this humid weather, the signal strength is very erratic.

I'm not an electrical Engineer, but I think it could be something to do with that, any ideas ? Am I on the right track ? By the by, we live in an old brick house with propa plaster like.

Please advsie, muchos thankful in advacne before I hough it ootside.

Thanks.
Very frustrating. Sounds like a brilliant device if it would work! Sorry, no great wisdom from me, only sympathy!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Very frustrating. Sounds like a brilliant device if it would work! Sorry, no great wisdom from me, only sympathy!
Mrs Adnams here , it is fab when it bl**ding well works, which it did for the first four months we had it??? Wheres that mallet.......????????/
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:16 am
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

I was wondering if any computer literate people could help out with this one...

Any chance some sort of a Proxy server that's come through the UK could help??

Ideas would be much appreciated.

As for paying the telly license, I'll be more than happy to send a cheque to the Beeb!

Christ, it's nearly Spooks and Hustle season and I feel so naughty downloading things...
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by twiggy1984
I was wondering if any computer literate people could help out with this one...

Any chance some sort of a Proxy server that's come through the UK could help??

Ideas would be much appreciated.

As for paying the telly license, I'll be more than happy to send a cheque to the Beeb!

Christ, it's nearly Spooks and Hustle season and I feel so naughty downloading things...
Right, know what you mean, but are we expected to do? I've tried using a proxy server for other BBC stuff, e.g. Five Live Sports Extra when it's closed off to non-UK people, but I've not had any success yet. They are too good , it seems, at sniffing out the UK proxies. But if anyone else does have any success, I'd be glad to hear about it.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:46 am
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Right, know what you mean, but are we expected to do? I've tried using a proxy server for other BBC stuff, e.g. Five Live Sports Extra when it's closed off to non-UK people, but I've not had any success yet. They are too good , it seems, at sniffing out the UK proxies. But if anyone else does have any success, I'd be glad to hear about it.
Bittorrent it is then...

But honestly, I really wouldn't mind paying the beeb, I really do miss English telly.

Ah, Panorama how I long for thee
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Bittorrent it is then...

But honestly, I really wouldn't mind paying the beeb, I really do miss English telly.

Ah, Panorama how I long for thee
Tried the Panorama vodcast? It's also on UKNova and TheBox pretty regularly.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:19 am
Silly fool for love

Tried the Panorama vodcast? It's also on UKNova and TheBox pretty regularly.
UKNova? TheBox? Pray tell!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

UKNova? TheBox? Pray tell!
uknova.com and thebox.bz. You can get a ton of good stuff there. I've just finished watching the South Bank Show from last night all about June Whitfield -- wonderful.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:33 am
Silly fool for love

uknova.com and thebox.bz. You can get a ton of good stuff there. I've just finished watching the South Bank Show from last night all about June Whitfield -- wonderful.
Fabulous! Thank you so much!

I shall definitely seek them out! I've been relying on the wonders of bittorrent to aide my addiction. aaah the joys of finding new ways to procrastinate. However did we cope before the internets?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:08 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

What's wrong with back-to-back episodes of "As Time Goes By" on PBS?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned in another thread, there's a petition to the PM to get the BBC iPlayer available to all platforms (reading between the lines without DRM and hence open to all). At least nothing lost by signing it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.