Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank of America account

Bank of America account

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

efsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the rough
Default Bank of America account

Hey, I didn't found a topic about banks, so I just decided to create a new thread.
I have a bank of America account but I won't need it anymore, besides my physical card will expire soon. Is there any way to close an account online or something? Because I don't plan going there any time soon and they are charging me every month for a monthly fee.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank of America account

I would call them for sure. I wouldn’t want to be paying fees on an account I don’t use.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I would call them for sure. I wouldn’t want to be paying fees on an account I don’t use.

i never understand why questions like the above end up on forums rather than with the company concerned? how would we be able to assist with closing your bank account?
Old Sep 4th 2019, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
i never understand why questions like the above end up on forums rather than with the company concerned? how would we be able to assist with closing your bank account?
We would be able to assist because others have been in this same situation and have an experience to share.

If everyone had your attitude of non-assistance, there would be no forums such as these.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Bank of America is a big bank so maybe someone here has experience closing an account online. Many folks hate making phone calls so perhaps the OP is looking for a way to avoid doing so.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
We would be able to assist because others have been in this same situation and have an experience to share.

If everyone had your attitude of non-assistance, there would be no forums such as these.
Which is perfectly acceptable when asking for most forms of advice, but given that the request is to essentially close a service being provided, ultimately it's obvious that the service provider will need contacting.......

A ten second Google shows that there is indeed no way of closing a BOA account online..... but you can call or send a letter to the address they provide online...

​​​​

Last edited by scrubbedexpat096; Sep 4th 2019 at 12:55 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 10:13 am
Just Joined

efsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the rough

The thing is that I'm in Europe and phone calls are expensive plus it won't be like couple of minutes. You always have to wait in a queue, so it'll be at least 15 minutes. I was asking because I'm trying to figure out if someone was able to cancel it online. Dude, chill out, I'm not asking YOU to close my account.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by efsedran.b
The thing is that I'm in Europe and phone calls are expensive plus it won't be like couple of minutes. You always have to wait in a queue, so it'll be at least 15 minutes. I was asking because I'm trying to figure out if someone was able to cancel it online. Dude, chill out, I'm not asking YOU to close my account.
as above a ten second google provides the required answer
Old Sep 12th 2019, 10:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that I'm in Europe and phone calls are expensive plus it won't be like couple of minutes. You always have to wait in a queue, so it'll be at least 15 minutes.
Are there no options for cheap international calls in your country? It's about a penny a minute to call the US from the UK if paying as you go, so far cheaper than paying a monthly bank account fee (that's assuming you can't just make a free internet call of course). Might be worth asking in your country's forum to see if anybody can recommend a cheap service.

Good luck.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 1:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I didn't found a topic about banks, so I just decided to create a new thread.
I have a bank of America account but I won't need it anymore, besides my physical card will expire soon. Is there any way to close an account online or something? Because I don't plan going there any time soon and they are charging me every month for a monthly fee.
As you appear to be getting a monthly statement, there must be contact information given on it somewhere. If it does come down to a phone call that costs you money, surely that one-off charge is preferable to the ongoing monthly fees you say you are now paying.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As you appear to be getting a monthly statement, there must be contact information given on it somewhere. If it does come down to a phone call that costs you money, surely that one-off charge is preferable to the ongoing monthly fees you say you are now paying.
+1
Old Sep 15th 2019, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You can call them and do it over the phone. Just Skype them.
Old Sep 21st 2019, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.chimebank.com/2017/11/29...p-5-big-banks/

4 Tips for Closing Your Bank of America Account

1. Transfer any remaining balances to another financial institution. Then, update your payment preferences on bills that use auto-pay so you can continue to make payments automatically.
  2. Go to a local Bank of America branch to close your Bank of America account.
  3. Call Bank of America at 800.432.1000 to close the account.
  4. Send a written request to close the account to: Bank of America, FL1-300-01-29, PO Box 25118, Tampa, FL 33622-5118. Sign the letter and include instructions on how to receive your remaining balance, if eligible.
You might be wondering, “Can I close my bank account online?” As with Chase Bank, you cannot close a Bank of America account online, so your safest bet is to use one of the methods above.

To confirm closing a bank account, get a written confirmation for your records.