British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bank of America account (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bank-america-account-927657/)

efsedran.b Sep 3rd 2019 1:48 pm

Bank of America account

Hey, I didn't found a topic about banks, so I just decided to create a new thread.
I have a bank of America account but I won't need it anymore, besides my physical card will expire soon. Is there any way to close an account online or something? Because I don't plan going there any time soon and they are charging me every month for a monthly fee.

durham_lad Sep 3rd 2019 2:24 pm

Re: Bank of America account

I would call them for sure. I wouldn’t want to be paying fees on an account I don’t use.

scrubbedexpat096 Sep 4th 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12730964)
I would call them for sure. I wouldn’t want to be paying fees on an account I don’t use.

i never understand why questions like the above end up on forums rather than with the company concerned? how would we be able to assist with closing your bank account?

Rete Sep 4th 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Phathamster (Post 12731460)
i never understand why questions like the above end up on forums rather than with the company concerned? how would we be able to assist with closing your bank account?

We would be able to assist because others have been in this same situation and have an experience to share.

If everyone had your attitude of non-assistance, there would be no forums such as these.

durham_lad Sep 4th 2019 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Phathamster (Post 12731460)

Bank of America is a big bank so maybe someone here has experience closing an account online. Many folks hate making phone calls so perhaps the OP is looking for a way to avoid doing so.

scrubbedexpat096 Sep 4th 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12731464)
We would be able to assist because others have been in this same situation and have an experience to share.

If everyone had your attitude of non-assistance, there would be no forums such as these.

Which is perfectly acceptable when asking for most forms of advice, but given that the request is to essentially close a service being provided, ultimately it's obvious that the service provider will need contacting.......

A ten second Google shows that there is indeed no way of closing a BOA account online..... but you can call or send a letter to the address they provide online...

​​​​

efsedran.b Sep 12th 2019 10:13 am

The thing is that I'm in Europe and phone calls are expensive plus it won't be like couple of minutes. You always have to wait in a queue, so it'll be at least 15 minutes. I was asking because I'm trying to figure out if someone was able to cancel it online. Dude, chill out, I'm not asking YOU to close my account.

scrubbedexpat096 Sep 12th 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by efsedran.b (Post 12734582)
The thing is that I'm in Europe and phone calls are expensive plus it won't be like couple of minutes. You always have to wait in a queue, so it'll be at least 15 minutes. I was asking because I'm trying to figure out if someone was able to cancel it online. Dude, chill out, I'm not asking YOU to close my account.

as above a ten second google provides the required answer :)

christmasoompa Sep 12th 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by efsedran.b (Post 12734582)
The thing is that I'm in Europe and phone calls are expensive plus it won't be like couple of minutes. You always have to wait in a queue, so it'll be at least 15 minutes.

Are there no options for cheap international calls in your country? It's about a penny a minute to call the US from the UK if paying as you go, so far cheaper than paying a monthly bank account fee (that's assuming you can't just make a free internet call of course). Might be worth asking in your country's forum to see if anybody can recommend a cheap service.

Good luck.

Nutmegger Sep 12th 2019 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by efsedran.b (Post 12730950)
Hey, I didn't found a topic about banks, so I just decided to create a new thread.
I have a bank of America account but I won't need it anymore, besides my physical card will expire soon. Is there any way to close an account online or something? Because I don't plan going there any time soon and they are charging me every month for a monthly fee.

As you appear to be getting a monthly statement, there must be contact information given on it somewhere. If it does come down to a phone call that costs you money, surely that one-off charge is preferable to the ongoing monthly fees you say you are now paying.

durham_lad Sep 12th 2019 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12734678)
As you appear to be getting a monthly statement, there must be contact information given on it somewhere. If it does come down to a phone call that costs you money, surely that one-off charge is preferable to the ongoing monthly fees you say you are now paying.

+1

carcajou Sep 15th 2019 7:11 am

You can call them and do it over the phone. Just Skype them.

MarylandNed Sep 21st 2019 7:39 pm

https://www.chimebank.com/2017/11/29...p-5-big-banks/

4 Tips for Closing Your Bank of America Account

1. Transfer any remaining balances to another financial institution. Then, update your payment preferences on bills that use auto-pay so you can continue to make payments automatically.
  2. Go to a local Bank of America branch to close your Bank of America account.
  3. Call Bank of America at 800.432.1000 to close the account.
  4. Send a written request to close the account to: Bank of America, FL1-300-01-29, PO Box 25118, Tampa, FL 33622-5118. Sign the letter and include instructions on how to receive your remaining balance, if eligible.
You might be wondering, “Can I close my bank account online?” As with Chase Bank, you cannot close a Bank of America account online, so your safest bet is to use one of the methods above.

To confirm closing a bank account, get a written confirmation for your records.