Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aussie interest rates rising again,and again...

Aussie interest rates rising again,and again...

Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:04 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie interest rates rising again,and again...

Originally Posted by KLF
You mean the 'how many fluctuations can we have for a litre of petrol in 1 week, every week?'

The weekly petrol cycle, you just have to love it!
And the lack of decent news, don't forget that ... Christ it's grim here
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:08 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
And the lack of decent news, don't forget that ... Christ it's grim here
Dont you get bored doing this? I would!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Well that's going to put the bloody house prices down the pan even more

There's another rise in June too supposedly.

We're all doomed....
Oh god! Has anyone else fixed their home loan? I'm thinking of doing so but not sure whether to do 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. If I get in tomorrow I can do it before the rates go up on Monday.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Dont you get bored doing this? I would!
I'm not easily bored, I have a long attention ... er ... whatever ...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by rabsody
Oh god! Has anyone else fixed their home loan? I'm thinking of doing so but not sure whether to do 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. If I get in tomorrow I can do it before the rates go up on Monday.
We have split ours, 3/4 fixed (5 years) and 1/4 variable and we're trying to take chunks of the variable one whenever we have spare cash ... our loan has a cashback facility which means we can draw on any extra with no penalty ... it's good for peace of mind.

It's incredible how much you save in interest if you can voluntarily pay more than the specified repayment (even if it's only a small amount) AND always pay fortnightly, no monthly.

Working for the bank that does it also helps with preferential rates, fee waivers and being able to readily abuse customer service in the event of any disputes.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:22 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

We have split ours, 3/4 fixed (5 years) and 1/4 variable and we're trying to take chunks of the variable one whenever we have spare cash ... our loan has a cashback facility which means we can draw on any extra with no penalty ... it's good for peace of mind.

It's incredible how much you save in interest if you can voluntarily pay more than the specified repayment (even if it's only a small amount) AND always pay fortnightly, no monthly.

Working for the bank that does it also helps with preferential rates, fee waivers and being able to readily abuse customer service in the event of any disputes.
So that's what the extortionet charges are for, so you can surf the net at work all day?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I knew you'd come in handy one day thanks for the input. I currently do pay it off way over and above the min. amount but appears you lose the offset/redraw facility with some of the fixed rate mortgages (I'm with ANZ). I might look at giving the split option a go. Cheers Vim
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny (and I don't mean in the Ha Ha sense), but this email string could have been written by anyone who moved back to the UK in the recent past ... increased mortgage rates, high house prices, high petrol prices ...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by KLF
So that's what the extortionet charges are for, so you can surf the net at work all day?
Hey, I'm on the little guy's side, I'm trying to keep 'em honest ... failing though, so I might as well take the cash
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:43 am

I knew you'd come in handy one day thanks for the input. I currently do pay it off way over and above the min. amount but appears you lose the offset/redraw facility with some of the fixed rate mortgages (I'm with ANZ). I might look at giving the split option a go. Cheers Vim
Might be true with our fixed-rate too, the banks do like to know how much interest they are going to get in advance ... hence the extortionate 'early settlement' fees

It's amazing how many people pay monthly rather than fortnightly though, they should just compare the two methods in one of those repayment calculators and watch the term of the loan shrink ...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Might be true with our fixed-rate too, the banks do like to know how much interest they are going to get in advance ... hence the extortionate 'early settlement' fees

It's amazing how many people pay monthly rather than fortnightly though, they should just compare the two methods in one of those repayment calculators and watch the term of the loan shrink ...
Well I pay it monthly, but I put in the mortgage repayment amount plus a couple of grand to save (which we can redraw if we need). Would it make any diff if I did this fortnightly instead of monthly?!! (prob should use the calculators but I'm too lazy )
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:50 am

Well I pay it monthly, but I put in the mortgage repayment amount plus a couple of grand to save (which we can redraw if we need). Would it make any diff if I did this fortnightly instead of monthly?!! (prob should use the calculators but I'm too lazy )
Hell yes!

On a loan of $350,000 over 25 years at an interest rate of 6.25% you would save FOUR YEARS of repayments switching to fortnightly.

Here is quite a nice calculator from a random bank, it also does the 'extra repayment' thing
http://www.suncorp.com.au/Suncorp/pe...alculator.aspx
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

KevC has a spectacular aura aboutKevC has a spectacular aura aboutKevC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crystal23
Tipped to go as high as $1.75 next week
Originally Posted by themerlin
Thats why I went out and filled my lawn mower this week.

What are they now in the UK?
$1.75 = 78p

it's currently around £1.06 per litre in the UK
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hell yes!

On a loan of $350,000 over 25 years at an interest rate of 6.25% you would save FOUR YEARS of repayments switching to fortnightly.

Here is quite a nice calculator from a random bank, it also does the 'extra repayment' thing
http://www.suncorp.com.au/Suncorp/pe...alculator.aspx
Thanks Vim, I didn't realise it made that much difference. Well, I am blonde! Will do de vewwy big sums on de compoota calc (sorry having a funny five mins).
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:51 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KevC
$1.75 = 78p

it's currently around £1.06 per litre in the UK
You should come buy it in New Zealand, its only $1.71, thats 66p

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.