British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Aussie interest rates rising again,and again... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aussie-interest-rates-rising-again-again-503454/)

onepearlyb Jan 4th 2008 5:10 am

Aussie interest rates rising again,and again...

Well, todays interest rate hike will be the THIRD one since we arrived here in Melbourne in April 2007.
There is virtually NO WAY we could afford to buy a house here now and we came out with what we believed was a decent deposit!
I feel sorry for people moving out here who think they'll be able to buy a huge house and live the dream as easily.
House prices are continuing to rise despite the rate increase,demand is high and supply is low and if you plan to rent - the rent will be going up as well.
All makes for not so cheeery reading I know , but it's reality out here I'm afraid. ( unless of course you want to live miles from anywhere or far out from the hub of things, THEN you can get an affordable house easily, but most people need to be within travelling distance to get to work here )

It sucks.

*pearly*

Vim Fuego Jan 4th 2008 5:16 am

Re: Aussie interest rates rising again,and again...

Originally Posted by onepearlyb (Post 5737104)
Well, todays interest rate hike will be the THIRD one since we arrived here in Melbourne in April 2007.
There is virtually NO WAY we could afford to buy a house here now and we came out with what we believed was a decent deposit!
I feel sorry for people moving out here who think they'll be able to buy a huge house and live the dream as easily.
House prices are continuing to rise despite the rate increase,demand is high and supply is low and if you plan to rent - the rent will be going up as well.
All makes for not so cheeery reading I know , but it's reality out here I'm afraid. ( unless of course you want to live miles from anywhere or far out from the hub of things, THEN you can get an affordable house easily, but most people need to be within travelling distance to get to work here )

It sucks.

*pearly*

Don't forget petrol prices ...

onepearlyb Jan 4th 2008 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5737120)

Yeah, don't get me started on that either! HMPH!!!!

crystal23 Jan 4th 2008 5:34 am

Originally Posted by onepearlyb (Post 5737151)
Yeah, don't get me started on that either! HMPH!!!!

Tipped to go as high as $1.75 next week:eek::eek:

themerlin Jan 4th 2008 5:39 am

Thats why I went out and filled my lawn mower this week.

What are they now in the UK?

Originally Posted by crystal23 (Post 5737159)
Tipped to go as high as $1.75 next week:eek::eek:

Vim Fuego Jan 4th 2008 5:41 am

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 5737176)
Thats why I went out and filled my lawn mower this week.

What are they now in the UK?

They are things that you cut the grass with :confused:

onepearlyb Jan 4th 2008 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5737186)
They are things that you cut the grass with :confused:

stop it!

I'm trying to have a decent moan on here and your spoiling it for me and ruining everything.

Vim Fuego Jan 4th 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by onepearlyb (Post 5737193)
stop it!

I'm trying to have a decent moan on here and your spoiling it for me and ruining everything.

Sorry, how about the size of $2 coins and/or the quality of clothes from Target? :p

Fleaflyfloflum Jan 4th 2008 6:12 am

Originally Posted by onepearlyb (Post 5737104)

It sucks.

*pearly*

Fear not Pearly

Follow me and Rabsody. Wait for the share prices to crumble and put all ya dosh into bargain discounted shares :thumbsup: You might afford a house outright once they all stop kacking their pants and the values go back up :D

onepearlyb Jan 4th 2008 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 5737250)
Fear not Pearly

Follow me and Rabsody. Wait for the share prices to crumble and put all ya dosh into bargain discounted shares :thumbsup: You might afford a house outright once they all stop kacking their pants and the values go back up :D

Ok. I'm very easily led, you know.
Sounds like a good move.

TraceyW Jan 4th 2008 6:55 am

Well that's going to put the bloody house prices down the pan even more :frown:

There's another rise in June too supposedly.

We're all doomed....:ohmy:

quoll Jan 4th 2008 7:31 am

For once in my life I love the fact that interest rates are rising. Now we are mortgage free self funded retirees the news is excellent for us (not to mention driving less and in a really economical car!). But, having been where you all are now in the days of HIGH interest rates my sympathies with everyone who wants to get on the property ladder! (And stay on it!)

KLF Jan 4th 2008 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5737120)

You mean the 'how many fluctuations can we have for a litre of petrol in 1 week, every week?'

The weekly petrol cycle, you just have to love it!

TraceyW Jan 4th 2008 8:01 am

Originally Posted by KLF (Post 5737492)
You mean the 'how many fluctuations can we have for a litre of petrol in 1 week, every week?'

The weekly petrol cycle, you just have to love it!

Up and down more than Paris Hiltons knickers ;):rofl:

KLF Jan 4th 2008 8:04 am

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 5737510)
Up and down more than Paris Hiltons knickers ;):rofl:

Well I wouldn't say that often. :D