Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is "assimilation" good?

Is "assimilation" good?

Old May 25th 2009, 10:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is "assimilation" good?

Originally Posted by Rete
Do you only associate with British expats here in the US?
Unless I really need to order something from McDonalds, then yes.
Old May 25th 2009, 10:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
That's not the point.

Firstly, as an example, it's possible to get by without problems in Holland or in Germany's more cosmopolitan cities speaking only English, while not restricting yourself to hanging out with Brits. So language is not a deciding factor.

Moreover, assimilation implies taking on cultural norms into your life. I'm not really interested in traditional American values. I don't like their sports. I think church is for idiots. Country music sucks. Am I assimilating? Absolutely not! Do I enjoy living in the US? Yes, of course, but it's not necessarily because of the culture (I moved here primarily for the skiing, climbing and academic research opportunities, all of which are considerably better than in the UK).
Hold up. I'm American. I hate country western music. I belong to a church but rarely attend. I'm not sports minded. The same holds true of most of the Americans I know with the exception of football for many. Religion is not just an American idealogy but one found worldwide. So you don't believe or perhaps don't belong to an organized religion. Not a problem to the majority of Americans.

How do traditional American values differ from yours?????? I see no difference. Both Brits and Americans value family, morality, education, leadership, excelling. What is there not to adopt? Besides how can you adopt what you already have?

So, I associate with Americans, but have no interest in becoming a completely embedded member of their society. I'm happy to give what I give, and take what I take, and leave it at that. You could take me out of the US and plant me in New Zealand and I'd still be the same thing - an ex-pat Scot.
But that is just it. You have assimilated. You don't restrict yourself to only Brits. Nowhere does assimilation mean that you have to lose your other citizen or heritage. I'm proud to be American but also proud to be of German and Polish ancestry.

Last edited by Rete; May 25th 2009 at 10:56 pm.
Old May 25th 2009, 10:56 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Have I been assimilated...No...do I go with the flow...yes..I am who I am, I still talk like all my friends and family back home (and swear at every opportunity) but I know that I have to change certain words when talking to the americans.

I don't think I could assimilate even if I wanted to, I'm too pig headed and stubborn and plus some of the ways of doing things here are just daft..(I'm mostly talking about the school's no child left behind policy)..

it would also mean having a lobotomy if I wanted to blend in with the PTA Piranhas and soccer moms..so I'd rather just do my own thing and get on with it..and of course I don't give two kahoots about the church thing and that itself makes them give me a wide berth..as they don't understand anybody who's not part of some church..

maybe its just where I am but thats about it in a nutshell..
Old May 25th 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoyed reading this thread...as for my opinion, well most of it has already been said. I don't feel that I'm American, but last time I was in London (Spring Break) I didn't feel British either. I certainly don't speak with an American accent (cos I'm crap at it) but I do use Americanisms (eg. I say "you're welcome" when someone says thank you) not really consciously but it's developed over time and it's easier for me to be understood if I use them. (especially with my kids friends!!)
I will be happy to become a US citizen when I can but consider myself British.
I cook food that I used to eat back in the UK sometimes, plus food that we wouldn't necessarily cook in the UK (mainly Mexican) My kids consider themselves American and when I come out with a "quaint" phrase my daughter roles her eyes and declares "Mom, you're so european"!! They're both happy to explain to friends that they were born in Britain but hold their hands on the hearts and belt out the Star Spangled Banner at Football games.
Old May 25th 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Have I been assimilated...No...do I go with the flow...yes..I am who I am, I still talk like all my friends and family back home (and swear at every opportunity) but I know that I have to change certain words when talking to the americans.

I don't think I could assimilate even if I wanted to, I'm too pig headed and stubborn and plus some of the ways of doing things here are just daft..(I'm mostly talking about the school's no child left behind policy)..

it would also mean having a lobotomy if I wanted to blend in with the PTA Piranhas and soccer moms..so I'd rather just do my own thing and get on with it..and of course I don't give two kahoots about the church thing and that itself makes them give me a wide berth..as they don't understand anybody who's not part of some church..

maybe its just where I am but thats about it in a nutshell..
I've been here since 1981 and feel the same way. Just the other day I spoke to someone I haven't seen in ages and said she missed my "quirky sense of humour", it wouldn't be worth a comment in the UK, but after all these years I'm so glad I've still got it.
Old May 25th 2009, 11:12 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Personally, I'm proud to be a Brit living in America. I love many aspects of this country, and I'm happy for my children to be brought up as British Americans. But I don't intend to lose, change or modify anything of myself in order to assimilate. There's nothing of me or my personality that is unacceptable in this country, even though I may be seen as different and sometimes difficult.

How about the rest of you?
Couldn't have put it better.
Old May 25th 2009, 11:30 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Jean Luc Picard didn't seem to think so...

Old May 25th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/LocutusOfBorg.jpg
Resistance is futile!!
Old May 25th 2009, 11:50 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/LocutusOfBorg.jpg
Yeah, but he was french - did you really expect him to put up a fight ??
Old May 25th 2009, 11:53 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I've been here since 1981 and feel the same way. Just the other day I spoke to someone I haven't seen in ages and said she missed my "quirky sense of humour", it wouldn't be worth a comment in the UK, but after all these years I'm so glad I've still got it.
your lucky...somebody speaks to you...the only time my neighbours speak to me is when they want something from me....e.g. Can I borrow your lawnmower..even though I haven't spoken to you in about a year..
Old May 26th 2009, 12:05 am
Just Joined

lisadelangey has a brilliant futurelisadelangey has a brilliant futurelisadelangey has a brilliant futurelisadelangey has a brilliant futurelisadelangey has a brilliant futurelisadelangey has a brilliant future

yes very difficult position to be in
Old May 26th 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined

welshbaloney is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Is "assimilation" good?

I've been here since 1989 and through osmosis have unconsciously adopted a number of Americanisms such as "you're welcome" when thanked. I don't think about it at all. I do feel that I've slowly lost some of the Britishness I was hoping I would retain - when I came here I promised myself I would retain as many aspects of my culture, behaviour, etc as possible.

But now, my American-born kids are at the age (12 and 13) where they're becoming more conscious of my roots and their inherited roots. Social networking tools like Myspace and Twitter, not to mention Skype and other direct communication tools, has cause them to further embrace their roots and they're communicating more than ever before with their family in Wales.

In turn, that's excited a renewed passion in me to re-discover what I have lost.

So in summary, I suppose I'm regressing and enjoying the rediscovery for myself and the discovery for my kids

PS I suppose I might as well explore dual-citizenship...
Old May 26th 2009, 12:24 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshbaloney
Americanisms such as "you're welcome" when thanked.
That's not an Americanism, IMHO. Plus, round here, they tend to grunt instead.
Old May 26th 2009, 12:25 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisadelangey
yes very difficult position to be in
What position is that?
Old May 26th 2009, 12:27 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

That's not an Americanism, IMHO. Plus, round here, they tend to grunt instead.
That's odd (the grunting, I mean). Around here, which isn't far in Texas terms, I'm always struck by how everyone says "you're welcome" when you say thank you. I also see it as an Americanism, in the way it's said and the reflex-reaction quality of the reply. I like it. In particular it makes kids sound very polite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.