Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is "assimilation" good?

Is "assimilation" good?

Old May 25th 2009, 3:26 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is "assimilation" good?

So our latest troll has got me thinking seriously about the question of assimilation in America.

When politicians and talking heads start to attack immigration both in Britain and in America they often state that a "failure to assimilate" is at the heart of anti-immigrant sentiment.

But America is a land built on immigration, where most cultures take great pride in their heritage. They celebrate their national events and holidays, continue their traditions and take pride in the origins.

Greg Anusworth III's line on assimilation involves abandoning all traces of your heritage, right down to your accent, in order to hide in the background... but in the background of what exactly? Would the natural extension of his theory be to claim you're Irish American or Hispanic in order to "fit in" with the majority?

So, the question is, how many of us who have lived here for years (or at lest longer than Greg's few months) strive to assimilate into the local culture? And if you want to assimilate, how far are you prepared to go?

Personally, I'm proud to be a Brit living in America. I love many aspects of this country, and I'm happy for my children to be brought up as British Americans. But I don't intend to lose, change or modify anything of myself in order to assimilate. There's nothing of me or my personality that is unacceptable in this country, even though I may be seen as different and sometimes difficult.

How about the rest of you?
Old May 25th 2009, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice
Default Re: Is "assimilation" good?

Be yourself. That's all you can be successfully. Anything else is a lie that won't hold water.

I view a happy medium. Don't give up aspects of Brit culture you like, but also take on aspects of America you like.

The country was made up of people doing just that. That's the reason why America itself has no primary 'culture' as it's a mixture of so many different peoples.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how much assimilation the Middle East Expats do.

are they running around Dubai in toga's and teatowels?

how come I am expected to assimilate here, yet if I were an expat in Pointe Noire Congo* I'd be expected to live in a gated compound and send my kids to the local British School.

* no offence to Congo, it's just the most remote place I could think of.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

pineapple2oo9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might seem a flippant comment but if I had assimilated to the point of losing my accent, I wouldn't have got a free Wendy's frosty! Just one case in many where it was an asset being a Brit in the States
Old May 25th 2009, 3:53 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I wonder how much assimilation the Middle East Expats do.

are they running around Dubai in toga's and teatowels?
and all the 220,000+ Americans living in Britain are driving around in Nissan Micras listening to Blur and Oasis while shovelling down Hobnobs and perfecting their cockney accents.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:55 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

I actually really like living here, and when in that situation it's really easy to adapt to the USA. I can't see my self picking up a full American accent, I am too old now and no one would ever take me serious at home if I got off the plane and started to tell every one to "have a great day" :-)
I think this is a great country and don't mind saying so when asked how I like it
here. Yes it has it's issues, health care, cost of education and so on, but I have great health care cover at work and my degree was free so I can't really complain about that stuff too much! Kids may change that of course but no plans there yet! I will be first in the line for citizanship in June 2013 when I am able to apply!
Old May 25th 2009, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I make no effort to assimilate whatsoever. In fact I would say I am MORE Scottish when in the US than at home.

I say I'm a Scot and not Brit as it makes a noticeable difference to the way people deal with me. Most Americans are unaware of where or what Scotland actually is. They know it's somewhere 'over there', they've seen Braveheart and they have heard of the Loch Ness Monster. That's where the familiarity ends.

They may have notions about British politics and policies, which they will inevitably attribute to the English. This is acceptable form, I suppose, since the English also do that regularly

When faced with a Scot in real life, the average Yank seems to realize they do not have a pre-defined opinion of my particular breed, aren't quite sure what to do and so resort to naming me 'Scotty' before heading to the bar to get the beers/whiskies in.

This is an arrangement which suits me perfectly.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

pineapple2oo9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caleyjag

When faced with a Scot in real life, the average Yank seems to realize they do not have a pre-defined opinion of my particular breed, aren't quite sure what to do and so resort to naming me 'Scotty' before heading to the bar to get the beers/whiskies in.

Wow, lucky. I've normally got to endure 20 minutes of how their great aunt on their motherbrothermonkeys side is from England but not sure where before the beer starts flowing
Old May 25th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
and all the 220,000+ Americans living in Britain are driving around in Nissan Micras listening to Blur and Oasis while shovelling down Hobnobs and perfecting their cockney accents.
have not seen too much of that................they're all too busy learning Morris Dancing!
Old May 25th 2009, 4:10 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky
I actually really like living here, and when in that situation it's really easy to adapt to the USA. I can't see my self picking up a full American accent, I am too old now and no one would ever take me serious at home if I got off the plane and started to tell every one to "have a great day" :-)
I think this is a great country and don't mind saying so when asked how I like it
here. Yes it has it's issues, health care, cost of education and so on, but I have great health care cover at work and my degree was free so I can't really complain about that stuff too much! Kids may change that of course but no plans there yet! I will be first in the line for citizanship in June 2013 when I am able to apply!
I'll be in that citizenship line ahead of you... but to me that has nothing to do with whether I assimilate or not. Once I have dual citizenship I'll be just as much a British American as I am now.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'll be in that citizenship line ahead of you... but to me that has nothing to do with whether I assimilate or not. Once I have dual citizenship I'll be just as much a British American as I am now.
the only real reason I'll take up citizenship is so I can bugger off and mooch around Europe for an extended period of time with the other half.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:14 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I think we need a poll.

Assimilation - shit, or not shit?
Old May 25th 2009, 4:20 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by tonrob
I think we need a poll.

Assimilation - shit, or not shit?
I'm sure Mr Anusworth III will oblige you if you ask him nicely.

...although it may come out as "Assimilation: Brilliant, or Wonderful-with-Unicorns-and-Rainbows?"
Old May 25th 2009, 4:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
the only real reason I'll take up citizenship is so I can bugger off and mooch around Europe for an extended period of time with the other half.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Manc again

(I'm keeping out of this... )

Manc - congratulations btw.......... I missed that announcement!
Old May 25th 2009, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Assimilation is not losing your accent but learning the common language of the country you are living in, i.e. English. While it is not the official language of the US, it has been the common language of this country since its inception.

Assimilation means not limiting yourself to interaction only with those of your country. It means melding and becoming a part of the greater whole.

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I make no effort to assimilate whatsoever. In fact I would say I am MORE Scottish when in the US than at home.

I say I'm a Scot and not Brit as it makes a noticeable difference to the way people deal with me. Most Americans are unaware of where or what Scotland actually is. They know it's somewhere 'over there', they've seen Braveheart and they have heard of the Loch Ness Monster. That's where the familiarity ends.

They may have notions about British politics and policies, which they will inevitably attribute to the English. This is acceptable form, I suppose, since the English also do that regularly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.