Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold
Default Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

SO the time has come that I am now eligible to apply for US Citizenship, and frankly I really don't know whether to bother or not. I admit to feeling rather underwhelmed and without the sense of urgency that came with adjusting Status. I have every intention to stay in the US (provided they'll let me ) I own a house, have pension plans etc etc here....

So, those of you who are / have been eligible to go for it, did you apply or not, and why / why not? I'm not really looking for advice but your own reasons and experiences why you did or didn't apply to be American...

Ta.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Originally Posted by Pharrya
I admit to feeling rather underwhelmed and without the sense of urgency that came with adjusting Status.
an excellent way of putting it.

some people will say, with citizenship I can come and go as I please. But like you I'm atached to a yank, if we moved back to Europe for a year and I did lose my green Card, then I'd just DCF and get it back.

If you take US citizenship, then yeah, certain ease of movement exists at immigration and one can vote.

big whoop. the rest of the year there is the potential to lose 2 passports instead of one and lets face it, your shit doesn't smell any sweeter.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:14 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Pharrya
SO the time has come that I am now eligible to apply for US Citizenship, and frankly I really don't know whether to bother or not. I admit to feeling rather underwhelmed and without the sense of urgency that came with adjusting Status. I have every intention to stay in the US (provided they'll let me ) I own a house, have pension plans etc etc here....

So, those of you who are / have been eligible to go for it, did you apply or not, and why / why not? I'm not really looking for advice but your own reasons and experiences why you did or didn't apply to be American...

Ta.
It's a big decision. I took a while to make it. But when I made my mind up I was glad that I did and I'm glad that I am American and British (and EU too). One thing to think about, laws can change and though you are eligible now this might change. Just takes an Act of Congress and that's it. Also, Green Card holders are very vulnerable to issues like drink and driving ... do that as a citizen it is one thing, do it on a Green Card and later apply for US citizenship just watch the brown stuff hit the fan. Can be messy in-deed-dee.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

the rest of the year there is the potential to lose 2 passports instead of one
For the un-initiated please expand on this statement.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
I think Manc means that if one holds British and American passports, there's the potential to loose two very important documents.

Loosing things is clearly an issue with Manc but for me that wouldn't be a reason not to get American citizenship.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:44 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by tony126
If you read the line literally I think the meaning is quite clear. Those with two passports can (physically) lose them in contrast to someone with just one passport who can only lose one passport - the document/booklet/the thing you need when traveling abroad. UK/US Dual citizens can carry two passports but it is not always smart to use the US passport when clearing US customs after using the UK passport to clear UK customs. Can lead to a touch of bother on the USA side of the wee pond.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
If you read the line literally I think the meaning is quite clear. Those with two passports can (physically) lose them in contrast to someone with just one passport who can only lose one passport - the document/booklet/the thing you need when traveling abroad. UK/US Dual citizens can carry two passports but it is not always smart to use the US passport when clearing US customs after using the UK passport to clear UK customs. Can lead to a touch of bother on the USA side of the wee pond.
I was tuned into losing them legally not carelessly. I understand that it also pays to become a US citizen for tax purposes, that is if you have it to leave in the first place.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I did mean it literally.

like lose your passports.

still, anyhow, not a reason,

PA didn't you become a citizen in order to bring a relative over and you did it to sponsor them?
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:22 pm
Franklin

yeah I did mean it literally.

like lose your passports.

still, anyhow, not a reason,

PA didn't you become a citizen in order to bring a relative over and you did it to sponsor them?
I found it (taking up US citizenship) to be a very personal and complex decision that took me a while to get my head around. I was still married three years into living permanently on US soil with a green card so I could have applied as a spouse of a US citizen. But I decided to wait it out to five years and see how I felt then. I wish now that I had applied after three years because my relative would now be three years into her time instead of just one year of her five year GC/residency requirement prior to filing for US citizenship. So I can't say I did it for my relative, there was no way I would have done that if I was still married.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 4th 2005 at 8:49 pm.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Take citizenship: you can , drive car, appear on Cops on TeeVee resisting arrest as the brave and noble officer pulls you over, do your time, and still not get deported. If you manage to get it up to a felony (a public defender would help here), you should be able to avoid the booby prize of citizenship -- jury duty.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:57 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Yeah, I think it was worth it just to avoid screwing around with immigration all the time. The final straw was trying to get a new drivers license and having to go back and forth 3 or 4 times with different immigration documents and explaining why my Green Card expired 4 years ago because the INS were so slow at renewing it.

There are also a few jobs in my field that require Citizenship. I read somewhere that employers were allowed to pick a citizen over an alien when choosing a job applicant. Dunno how true that is.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

and lets face it, your shit doesn't smell any sweeter.
Whoa. Are you sure about this, because that is one of the main benefits I was hoping he'd get by applying...

We're doing it so that we can move around more freely. Being partly retired, I like the idea of living abroad without those border run worries.

Oh yeah. For those of you with Joint Sponsors attached to your move (not as many over here in the emplyed sector!), becoming a USC relieves your sponsor/joint sponsor of their I-864 obligation(s).
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:13 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Whoa. Are you sure about this, because that is one of the main benefits I was hoping he'd get by applying...
Actually, a few hours after reciting the pledge of allegiance and squeezing out a monster, I did notice the aroma of honey and cookies eminating from the toilet and suddenly, there was no further need for Glade...

Last edited by adeshell; Jan 4th 2005 at 10:16 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:19 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adeshell
Actually, a few hours after reciting the pledge of allegiance and squeezing out a monster, I did notice the aroma of honey and cookies eminating from the toilet and suddenly, there was no further need for Glade...
Full of carbs that quick, huh? The US never ceases to amaze me...

OK, I'll kick it up a notch. Anyone *willingly* give up UK citizenship after getting US citizenship?
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
OK, I'll kick it up a notch. Anyone *willingly* give up UK citizenship after getting US citizenship?
And if so, WHY? You may hold both, for clarification.

The OP should also have a look at taxation and especially estate tax. Couldn't quote it to you, but I know there is an important consideration regarding that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.