Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

As far as I thought, unless you really really bent over backwards with letters to the Brit governemment, you could never not be a UK citizen, even if you've renounced it elsewhere. Seems like the Brit government won't disown you - however, whether thats for honourable reasons I very much doubt, more like so Gordon can get his mits into your pocket somehow!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:37 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I was offered a job in St. Maarten, which I had to turn down due to the very unclear laws regarding green-card holders living out of the country for any length of time.

I am now eligible to apply for citizenship. I think I will
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I was offered a job in St. Maarten, which I had to turn down due to the very unclear laws regarding green-card holders living out of the country for any length of time.

I am now eligible to apply for citizenship. I think I will

When I asked my Canadian husband why he wanted to become a US Citizen his reply was that since the US was where he chose to live he wanted to be able to take on all the responsibilities and privileges of the country, i.e. voting, jury duty, etc. the same as he had (not has) in Canada. (Lost those privileges when he moved to the US without a plan to return in five years.)

Also since he is in the NYS Guard (Captain - US Army) he said if America and Canada ever decided to go to war with one another, he with move to Switzerland and declare neutrality.

Rete
Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:11 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
he with move to Switzerland and declare neutrality.

Rete
I wouldn't join the army over there, they only give you a little knife to defend yourself.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:18 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I wouldn't join the army over there, they only give you a little knife to defend yourself.
That's what they want you to believe, in fact all the Alps are hollow and packed full of tanks and fighter jets.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:22 am
Franklin

Could that be a swiss knife! boom boom

Old Jan 5th 2005, 3:26 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Seems like the Brit government won't disown you - however, whether thats for honourable reasons I very much doubt, more like so Gordon can get his mits into your pocket somehow!
It's the monarchial tradition. Once a subject always a peon.

For the record, I'm currently a green card holder but I will be applying for US citizenship as soon as I get the chance. I've lived in the States more than a decade and it has taken me most of that time to come to that decision.

There are some obvious advantages - not having to maintain status out of country, never having to deal with BCIS ever again. I'm told that there are tax advantages later in life. (Just remember that if you strike it rich and try to give up US citizenship, you'll automatically be deemed a tax evader.) And like adeshell says, some jobs are not open to foreign citizens.

Also, I have no plans on giving up UK citizenship. If nothing else, there are 24 other countries on that passport!
Old Jan 5th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

What are you nuts! Nay I say, I say thee Nay!!!

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Full of carbs that quick, huh? The US never ceases to amaze me...

OK, I'll kick it up a notch. Anyone *willingly* give up UK citizenship after getting US citizenship?
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh but the chocolate rations are good.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
It's the monarchial tradition. Once a subject always a peon.

For the record, I'm currently a green card holder but I will be applying for US citizenship as soon as I get the chance. I've lived in the States more than a decade and it has taken me most of that time to come to that decision.

There are some obvious advantages - not having to maintain status out of country, never having to deal with BCIS ever again. I'm told that there are tax advantages later in life. (Just remember that if you strike it rich and try to give up US citizenship, you'll automatically be deemed a tax evader.) And like adeshell says, some jobs are not open to foreign citizens.

Also, I have no plans on giving up UK citizenship. If nothing else, there are 24 other countries on that passport!

Well I'd rather be the subject of a monarchy than an object of a republic...

I've always said no, but I think we'll probably end up taking out citizenship because I'd rather leave my left overs to the kids than Uncle Sam..check out the estate taxes for GC holders :scared:
It's got to be worth it to say byebye to the BCIS alone.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:19 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
SO the time has come that I am now eligible to apply for US Citizenship, and frankly I really don't know whether to bother or not. I admit to feeling rather underwhelmed and without the sense of urgency that came with adjusting Status. I have every intention to stay in the US (provided they'll let me ) I own a house, have pension plans etc etc here....

So, those of you who are / have been eligible to go for it, did you apply or not, and why / why not? I'm not really looking for advice but your own reasons and experiences why you did or didn't apply to be American...

Ta.
well I became eligible years ago and never fancied it at all. I think for me the plain and simple fact that as far as the American's are concerned you have renounced your British citizenship , why can't the U.S like so many other countries be reasonable and accept dual nationality?

yeah i know the British Government ignores this, but what good does that do you? if for some reason the U.S wants you...they've got you......not that I'm planing on turning to crime or anything but I'll stay a Brit thanks

Besides I've a spouse and kids that can be my sponsers i think the kids have to turn adult first though
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
well I became eligible years ago and never fancied it at all. I think for me the plain and simple fact that as far as the American's are concerned you have renounced your British citizenship , why can't the U.S like so many other countries be reasonable and accept dual nationality?
I don't see it as a huge issue. Like someone said above, they can always change the law against you while you have no citizenship. Get the BCIS out of you life! I don't think that many countries recognize true dual nationalities anymore. It's almost like giving you diplomatic immunity. Most, like the US, accept multiple nationalities. And believe me, they might pretend to ignore your UK citizenship, but they very certainly know about it.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 3:19 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I've been eligible for several years now but haven't applied for citizenship because it's rather expensive. However, since my hubby is threatening to set his mates from the Pentagon on me if I so much as fart in the wrong direction, I might have to rethink this and come up with the dosh.

(Really, I just haven't got around to it yet, and with hubby's work situation money *has* been an issue. But I don't think he'd set the US-CIS hounds on me *that* easily. LOL)
Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I understand there are basic benefits to the N400.

but in all seriousness, I have no real desire to become a yank.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

That's the easiest job in the world, being in the Swiss Navy
(apart from being a roadie for a harmonica player)

Rete[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.