Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship - Worth it?

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
That's the easiest job in the world, being in the Swiss Navy
(apart from being a roadie for a harmonica player)
don't laugh, they won the America's cup.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
don't laugh, they won the America's cup.
The Swiss won the Americas Cup ?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

And another point: security clearances. Every other job in Hampton Roads seems to require a security clearance...
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:02 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
SO the time has come that I am now eligible to apply for US Citizenship, and frankly I really don't know whether to bother or not. I admit to feeling rather underwhelmed and without the sense of urgency that came with adjusting Status. I have every intention to stay in the US (provided they'll let me ) I own a house, have pension plans etc etc here....

So, those of you who are / have been eligible to go for it, did you apply or not, and why / why not? I'm not really looking for advice but your own reasons and experiences why you did or didn't apply to be American...

Ta.
I'm UK by birth and got US citizenship a few years ago for a number of reasons:
I've live in the US for 18 years; I wanted to vote; I didn't want the US government screwing me out of any Social Security benefits as a "frner"; and I wanted to get a Security Clearance.
At the US citizenship ceremony you swear to renounce all previous citizenships, this does not affect your British Citizenship in any way as the UK doesn't recognise any statements you make wrt your British citizenship to foreign governments. In fact the US does acknowledge dual citizenship, but its illegal to identify yourself as a UK citizen to a US government official.

With dual UK/US citizenship you'll be able to move and live freely in the US and EU, however, as the US taxes on citizenship not residency you'll have to fill out 1040s for the rest of your life, even if you go back to the UK
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
It's the monarchial tradition. Once a subject always a peon.
Britain has only allowed people to naturalise elsewhere and keep British citizenship since 1949, it's been a monarchy a lot longer. Some monarchies, eg Denmark, will instantly revoke the citizenship of one of their adult nationals who naturalises in another country.

Also, I have no plans on giving up UK citizenship. If nothing else, there are 24 other countries on that passport!
The UK passport may give access to 24 other countries (theoretically 28 including the EEA/Switzerland but some of these 28 still have transitional restrictions).

It remains however a *British* passport and does not have other countries' details on it.

Jeremy
Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
well I became eligible years ago and never fancied it at all. I think for me the plain and simple fact that as far as the American's are concerned you have renounced your British citizenship , why can't the U.S like so many other countries be reasonable and accept dual nationality?

yeah i know the British Government ignores this, but what good does that do you? if for some reason the U.S wants you...they've got you......not that I'm planing on turning to crime or anything but I'll stay a Brit thanks
What do you mean "renounce your British citizenship?

Minty
Old Jan 8th 2005, 5:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
What do you mean "renounce your British citizenship?

Minty
Once you have taken up US Citizenship, the US doesn't recognise your British citizenship any longer.
(They know you have it, just don't recognise it. One you become a US Citizen, you are not offered the same diplomatic help should you be in trouble in the USA)

Also one may voluntarily renounce your British Citizenship by renouncing in front of a British Magistrate.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 6:42 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Actually the Oath of Alliegance is the thing that least makes me want to take out US Citizenship. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but to me, standing up and renouncing the country I was born and raised in seems a little like being asked to renounce my mother when I married my wife.

The other things that put me off are those questions you have to answer in the citizenship exam (Who won the World Series in 1955? How the **** should I know?), the filing fee and not having a good excuse not to vote when the choice is as unattractive as it was in the last Presidential election (Herman Munster vs. Bonzo the Chimp).

Last edited by nxylas; Jan 8th 2005 at 6:44 pm. Reason: Wanted to insult Bush and Kerry some more
Old Jan 8th 2005, 6:49 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by nxylas
Actually the Oath of Alliegance is the thing that least makes me want to take out US Citizenship. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but to me, standing up and renouncing the country I was born and raised in seems a little like being asked to renounce my mother when I married my wife.
hit the nail on the head right there
Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Does any one think that age should have abearing on this decision. When I get the opportunity I will take the offer of dual citizenship even though I will be approx 72 (if I am alive). I do not see any gripes about paying US taxes or do the British to the core types (and I am not criticising that at all) prefer to pay UK taxes. Seems as though a lot of us want icing on top of the cake and there is nothing wrong with that either.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 3:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Does any one think that age should have abearing on this decision. When I get the opportunity I will take the offer of dual citizenship even though I will be approx 72 (if I am alive). I do not see any gripes about paying US taxes or do the British to the core types (and I am not criticising that at all) prefer to pay UK taxes. Seems as though a lot of us want icing on top of the cake and there is nothing wrong with that either.
If you have a green card you pay US taxes regardless. In fact some have reported that certain taxes (eg estate taxes) levy a penalty on non-US citizens.

Jeremy
Old Jan 9th 2005, 2:55 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Once you become a US Citizen, you are not offered the same diplomatic help should you be in trouble in the USA)
The US is hardly unusual in that - that is the state of affairs in most countries.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas

The other things that put me off are those questions you have to answer in the citizenship exam (Who won the World Series in 1955? How the **** should I know?)
Brooklyn beat the NY Yankees 4 to 3 in case you change your mind.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:15 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by CPW
The US is hardly unusual in that - that is the state of affairs in most countries.
I don't live in most countries...........I live in the USA.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 6:11 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Out of interest, after you've got US citizenship, which passport do you use to go back and forth? Or do you use both? I was going to use my UK passport, but then I would probably have to screw around with Visa Waiver and all that malarky to get back in????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.