Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved to Florida?

Anyone moved to Florida?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved to Florida?

Originally Posted by Ray
areas varyi you keep away from flood plains
yes
no
no
no
Yes,
Included with deductible,
Maybe
and optional,

surely?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Yes,
Included with deductible,
Maybe
and optional,

surely?
Maybe ...= only if in a flood plain

optional= regular treatment and house Insurance should cover it
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:07 am
Just Joined

janhunterus is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Florida 11 years ago, spent a year in Miami and then 9 years in Boynton Beach which is north of Fort Lauderdale. Our daughter was also one at the time, get ready for her to have an American accent! I found it to be quite a culture shock at first, but there are places you can go to meet people.

My gym is a gym specifically for babies and toddlers, http://www.my-gym.com/ and while there isn't one in Fort Lauderdale it's not too far to go, maps.google.com is perfect to get directions. There is a local supermarket called Publix and at the entrance where you will find the trolleys they have free magazines, check out Parenting magazine. At the back they have a list of things to do, great for little ones. When you move you will probably have a community pool, that is also another great place to meet parents with kids.

This website has details of where to buy British foods etc. in and around Fort Lauderdale http://www.britishflorida.com/index..../Tearooms.html

It takes time but we did get used to it and have no plans to move back. We really love it over here now. Everyone loves the accent so be prepared to repeat yourself a lot! If you get broadband then Vonage is a VOIP phone company that can help stay in touch with everyone back home, also vital.
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theloop
Hi Everyone,

I was born in FL and moved to the UK when I was 3.

My wife, one year old daughter and I are planning to move to FL next year, most likely to the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale area.

If you have moved - we are really keen to know how you got on, do you like it over there? How did you manage with the lifestyle change?

My wife is worried about meeting people and making friends, especially with a small child to care for.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Hi, We moved from Wales to east coast of Florida 2.5 yrs ago and we love it here....just returned from our first trip back to UK last week and it confirmed we made the right decision.

My hubby doesnt work but has managed to make a few friends but mostly we have made them through my work or the school2 that my kids go to.....

it took us until the 2nd to get acclimatised to the hot humid summers....and now I get cold when it is in the low 70's!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:39 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueIP
Hi, We moved from Wales to east coast of Florida 2.5 yrs ago and we love it here....just returned from our first trip back to UK last week and it confirmed we made the right decision.

My hubby doesnt work but has managed to make a few friends but mostly we have made them through my work or the school2 that my kids go to.....

it took us until the 2nd to get acclimatised to the hot humid summers....and now I get cold when it is in the low 70's!!!!
Yeah you older people need to be careful when the temperature drops

Happy 40th Birthday Susan
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Yeah you older people need to be careful when the temperature drops

Happy 40th Birthday Susan
You sneaky buggar!!!!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:28 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

How did the party go? Was it a good one?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
yes it was good ta

sorry for hijacking the OP's thread
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

theloop is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your replies!

We are looking forward to moving over, will need to look into the visa and social security business - I do have my SS number written down somewhere, so I guess that is a start Incidentally, my wife will not be working in FL so as long as she does not get booted out, that will be fine with me.

We expect it to be a lot different The only reason we are thinking of Hollywood is because of family ties there, I was also born in Boyton Beach so i would be kind of cool to live in the area. Not so sure about all those strip clubs! Cool, but not sure what it says about the area

I wanted to move to Sanford as my half sister lives there but we have heard that there is a lot of crime in and around Orlando - lots of Brits seem to say it is not a nice place to live?

We will be renting, property market seems a little dicey and we want the freedom to move around if required.

My-Gym looks great! And thinking about it, the community pool and baby clubs will cool too Hopefully the girls will be happy... Assuming they can handle the heat!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:34 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Would have been better if there wasn't a risk of wildfire from the candles on her cake
Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theloop
We are looking forward to moving over, will need to look into the visa and social security business - I do have my SS number written down somewhere, so I guess that is a start Incidentally, my wife will not be working in FL so as long as she does not get booted out, that will be fine with me.
Now we get to the meaty stuff!
Start with the two links in my siggy, they will steer the way.

Wife will land as a Permanent Resident and I think kidlet will gain USC at arrival (with an Immigrant Visa).
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Would have been better if there wasn't a risk of wildfire from the candles on her cake

LMAO!