Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Common foods without High Fructose Corn Syrup or Soybean Oil

Common foods without High Fructose Corn Syrup or Soybean Oil

Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:21 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Common foods without High Fructose Corn Syrup or Soybean Oil

How about a running list of common foodstuffs that we find that don't have the above mentioned shit in them? This could save us label readers a little time when shopping.

Until last night the only ice cream I found that didn't have this stuff in it was Haagen-daz which is too top dollar for my budget. But I just found in Wally-Mart, Wells Blue-Bunny brand ice cream. No corn syrup AND sweetened with Splenda. Double Whammy.

and in the bakery in Randalls at the weekend - Thomas' English Muffins. Actually labeled on the pack "Now with NO high fructose corn syrup".

Maybe the worm is finally turning, or has the Ethanol from corn trend just made sugar back into a cheaper sweetener than corn syrup again?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common foods without High Fructose Corn Syrup or Soybean Oil

So you won't eat HFCS but you will eat Splenda? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose if you're trying to reduce the amount of chemicals you eat?

In my opinion if you want your foods to be as natural as possible then eat the real foods to start with. Make your own ice-cream and bread at home, eat more fresh produce and meat (sourced from the right places).
There are plenty of foods out there that don't contain HFCS or soybean oil. You just have to look for them.
But I think you might be right that consumers are now starting to demand more of this stuff, it's what they are replacing it with that concerns me.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:42 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
How about a running list of common foodstuffs that we find that don't have the above mentioned shit in them? This could save us label readers a little time when shopping.

Until last night the only ice cream I found that didn't have this stuff in it was Haagen-daz which is too top dollar for my budget. But I just found in Wally-Mart, Wells Blue-Bunny brand ice cream. No corn syrup AND sweetened with Splenda. Double Whammy.

and in the bakery in Randalls at the weekend - Thomas' English Muffins. Actually labeled on the pack "Now with NO high fructose corn syrup".

Maybe the worm is finally turning, or has the Ethanol from corn trend just made sugar back into a cheaper sweetener than corn syrup again?
Isn't Splenda bad for you? I like "Breyers Ice Cream" the box says it's all natural. http://www.breyers.com/products/prod...7567-25420&b=1
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:43 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
So you won't eat HFCS but you will eat Splenda? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose if you're trying to reduce the amount of chemicals you eat?
Not ideal, but at least its better that aspartame . I'd love to make my own bread and ice cream. Just don't have the time.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:46 pm
Country Member

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Isn't Splenda bad for you? I like "Breyers Ice Cream" the box says it's all natural. http://www.breyers.com/products/prod...7567-25420&b=1
Looks like there is no HFCS. There are other brands of ice cream that have "All Natural" on the packaging but DO contain corn syrup, so be careful.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:57 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't have the time.
Bingo! This is the very reason why obesity is high in the USA.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Not ideal, but at least its better that aspartame . I'd love to make my own bread and ice cream. Just don't have the time.
I don't bake my own bread but I do make my own ice-cream. It involves mixing the ingredients in a jug which takes about 10 seconds and then switching the machine on as I pour the stuff in. That's it. About the same time it takes to read the labels on 4 or 5 tubs probably.

If you don't want to eat HFCS you have to do the work.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

I don't bake my own bread but I do make my own ice-cream. It involves mixing the ingredients in a jug which takes about 10 seconds and then switching the machine on as I pour the stuff in. That's it. About the same time it takes to read the labels on 4 or 5 tubs probably.

I got a breadmaker from Macys.
Throw all the ingredients in set the timer and nice warm bread for breakfast - easier than running to safeway for that sweet crap thats got a never endling lifespan.
I make a couple of loaves a day and put them in freezer for days when I dont have the time.

Issy
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy
crap thats got a never endling lifespan.
Issy
What is with that anyway? Makes you wonder just how many preservatives are in bread. In the UK we ate Warburtons to me it would start to taste off after 3 days. Here you can eat bread a week and half later and it tastes no different than the day I bought it.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

No not again with the bread!

TBH we don't really eat enough of it. We might go through one loaf a week, and I will probably throw some of that away. I buy it at Trader Joes and it lasts for the weekend I buy it which is when it gets eaten.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Trader Joes has some lovely ice-cream that doesn't have any of the nasty stuff in it...

Bread ain't bad either, same for Wholefoods, or the organic stuff in Hannafords.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:48 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

For soda sweetened with sugar rather than HFCS, try Jones Pure Cane Soda or Walgreen's Black Cherry Soda.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:14 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

No not again with the bread!
It's because the bread here has a never ending lifespan
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:18 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

What icecream maker do you have? I have only ever made it by hand and I can't be bothered with all the in and out of the freezer and remixing.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

That's up for debate. Not sure there is a real answer yet but it may not be better for you than aspartame. Also, what's wrong with soybean oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.